Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Sep 2019, 11:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Getting closer... or ...editing the initrd.gz (Closed)
Page 3 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
stemsee

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov 2014, 17:43    Post subject:  

Looking to the future maybe you should consider continuing the work using trusty tahr! Precise 5.7.1 is OLD.
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov 2014, 23:33    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Looking to the future maybe you should consider continuing the work using trusty tahr! Precise 5.7.1 is OLD.

At least I need to use tahr temporarily to "fix" the code for the use of a new wallpaper.

Currently I'll stay using precise, since I've set up a usb flash drive for this development. This usb flash drive is pretty much filled up and doesn't have enough space on it to install also a tahr.

Sometimes I need to push the reset button (bug in edited init script) and I don't want to use my USB HD for such actions where tahr is already installed.

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec 2014, 02:25    Post subject:  

How big is your usb flash drive? I have a sandisk cruzer extreme 192mb/s usb 3.0 drive unopened, here I'd be happy to send to you (as a contribution to your present work), just pm me your address.
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec 2014, 05:34    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
How big is your usb flash drive? I have a sandisk cruzer extreme 192mb/s usb 3.0 drive unopened, here I'd be happy to send to you (as a contribution to your present work), just pm me your address.

It's just a 2GB USB flash drive containing Precise 571 and LazY Puppy (to be able to boot a different OS, if edited init script of precise fails) and minimum necessary files and SFS Modules to be able to work and test this work as comfortable as possible - related to the USB flash drive size.

Thanks for the offer, but my machine can use USB 3.0 only if it would be especially also USB 2.0 compatible. I did once bought accidentally a USB 3.0 HD which did not work on my machine - all USB 2.0 interfaces. I'm owning now a USB 3.0 HD which was especially marked as USB 2.0 compatibel and this is working well. I have made a switch on this HD to use ext2 formatted boot partition instead of fat32 which I used to use normally.

However, it's also really not needed to contribute my present or any other work that way, since I'm already paid in a royally way by owning four (six) of the smartest Operating Systems of the Planet!

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2014, 18:47    Post subject:  

Hi.

While trying to build this into my LazY Puppy I've found some (very small) issues when setting a new wallpaper to use. Though the wallpaper functions had already a need to be refined for Tahr Puppy, so I refined it and built some initrd.gz files packaged in a .tar.gz file.

Therefor I now have uploaded this .tar.gz file which contains the initrd.gz files for:

- Precise 5.7.1
- Slacko 5.9.3
- Tahr 6.0 CE

plus a config file for each one of these Puppies.

The config file includes my current settings used while developing and doing some testings with it. You'll need to make some changes to apply your preferred settings for doing some testings on this work.

First post updated.

stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2014, 19:16    Post subject:  

Exactly - I wanted to say provide example configs! Do you think this should work on DPup Wheezy?
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2014, 19:48    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Exactly - I wanted to say provide example configs! Do you think this should work on DPup Wheezy?

I'm quiet sure it will work in almost any Puppy that is using the Rox Desktop and PuppyPin.

Just copy and paste all of the '# RSH' marked code lines and sections to the appropriated section of the Puppy's init script. Maybe the wallpaper functions and enabling/disabling welcome first boot needs to be refined. But most of all should work!

Ok, here is what we got right now:

Currently there are these Options available:

# Sleep Time - wait until script zzz_z_auto_execute will be executed
MYSLEEPTIME=2

# Window Manager - set a new window manager, load from SFS, load to a top layer
MYWINDOWMANAGER=jwm
MYWMSFSLOADOPT=1
MYWMSFSTOPLAYEROPT=1
MYWINDOWMANAGERSFS=LP3_WM-Flux-Ice-0.1.sfs

# Num Lock - disable/enable numlock of the numerical block
MYNUMLOCKOPT=1

# Interface - boot directly into new interface: da, de, es, fi, fr, it, nl, pt & tr
MYINTERFACE=de

# Timezone - currently unused
MYTIMEZONE=

# Keyboard Layout - set keyboard layout also needed when using $MYINTERFACE
MYKBDLAYOUT=de
RESTARTAFTERX=1

# Mount all HD and USB Flash Drives - mount all or only listed drives automatically
MOUNTALLMYDRIVES=1
MOUNTMYDRIVES=""

# Welcome First Boot - enable/disable welcome first boot GUI
MYWELCOMEFIRSTBOOT=0

# Personal Settings PopUp - enable/disable the Personal Settings PopUp
MYPERSONALSETTINGSPOPUP=0

# Desktop Icons - enable/disable the Desktop Icons
MYDESKTOPICONS=1

# Drive Icons - enable/disable the Drive Icons (only if $MYDESKTOPICONS is used)
MYDRIVEICONS=1

# Wallpapers - set a new wallpaper for a use
MYWALLPAPERDIRECTORY=Dateien/Wallpaper/RSH
MYWALLPAPER=Michaela.png

# Startup Sound - set a new startup sound (no longer barking)
MYSTARTUPSOUND=studio1337-bootsound.wav

# Install Packages - install .pet packages automatically from directory
MYPKGINSTALLDIROPT=1
MYPKGINSTALLDIR=InstallMe

# Global Directory to load SFS Files from - currently only for my private LazY Puppy
MYGLOBALSFSDIR=

# Auto-Load of SFS Modules at /etc/profile.local - load SFS Modules listed at boot up, load to top layer also
MYBOOTSFSLOADLISTOPT=0
MYBOOTSFSTOPLAYEROPT=0
MYBOOTSFSLOADLIST=""

# Auto-Load of SFS Modules at /root/Startup - load SFS Modules listed after X appears on the screen (only to normal layer)
MYSFSLOADLISTOPT=1
MYSFSLOADLIST=""

# Auto-Start of Applications - execute listed applications automatically and from list in simple text file
MYAUTOSTARTAPPS=""
MYAUTOSTARTAPPSLISTFILE=precise_5.7.1-autostart.lst

# Startup Script - execute a user's startup script
RUNMYSTARTUPSCRIPT=0
RUNMYSTARTUPSCRIPTBOOTCONTENT=0
MYSTARTUPSCRIPT=StartUp

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2014, 23:51    Post subject:  

Hi.

I've just setup a new initrd.gz file for testings.

It is for Super Lucid 4.

First Post updated.

Image:

Super Lucid 4 booted into DE (it offers a boot dialog, though), different Wallpaper, all Drives mounted, L.A.S.S.I.E.'s Window Managers SFS plus LP2_Gimp273.sfs automatically loaded.
SuLu4-LASSIE-WMs-LP2-Gimp273.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   82.21 KB
 Viewed   606 Time(s)

SuLu4-LASSIE-WMs-LP2-Gimp273.jpg

Last edited by LazY Puppy on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 22:33; edited 1 time in total
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec 2014, 22:32    Post subject:  

Hi.

I successfully have built this into my several Puppy Linux Operating Systems.

Remastered Versions:

- LazY Puppy - (based on Lucid 528-4)
- Osiris Studio - (based on Lucid 528-4)
- LazY THD - (based on Three Headed Dog)
- LazY Precise - (based on Precise 5.6)
- L.A.S.S.I.E. - (based on Precise 5.7.1)

All done just by copy/paste the additional code into the init script in less than five minutes.
Edit: of course, added the additional files to the initrd.gz as well. (additional files listed at first post)

Original Versions:

- Precise 5.7.1
- Slacko 5.9.3
- SuLu 4
- Tahr 6.0 CE

By now this is running AND working in nine (9) Puppy Linux Operating Systems, so I'm sure this will work in almost any Puppy Linux.

My current goals are reached now, so I'm open to further suggestions and/or related code etc.pp. I will finish the Config GUI much later and I'm now back to standard development.

Last edited by LazY Puppy on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 21:54; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec 2014, 03:00    Post subject:  

Quote:
- possible Locations for $MYWALLPAPER:
- - /usr/share/backgrounds, Boot Partition, Boot Directory, Sub Directory of Boot Partition or Boot Directory
In my 'self personalising' puppy I ask the user to put their desired wallpaper into a new directory called /usr/share/backgrounds/personal.

I also ask them to include a new bootsplash called splash.xpm into the same directory. Would this work for your system?

EDIT :I probably wasn't very clear - I get the user to boot the puppy, set up their new wallpaper in the 'personal folder', (and other changes), then run the personaliser script which grabs the personal changes and builds the new pup.

Maybe you could ask the user to set the desired changes up in their current pup, the 'grab' those changes. At least for wallpaper.

Do you think you will build a script that automatically makes the required changes to the initrd? And to also help the user to set up the new config file at the same time?

What you are doing here is amazing. I think of it as a similar concept to Woof 5 - a 'standard' way to make a 'personal' pup. i'm just so excited by this development.
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec 2014, 08:16    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Do you think you will build a script that automatically makes the required changes to the initrd? And to also help the user to set up the new config file at the same time?

There's actually no need to apply changes to the init script.

The chosen wallpaper (defined in external .cfg file) will be copied into the OS, if it isn't already existing inside of the OS. Also it is written to /etc/Puppybackgroundpicture, to /root/.config/wallpaper/bg_img and also to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin.

As long as the your personaliser script does include to apply the changes made inside of the named files, the wallpaper should appear in the remastered OS.

Quote:
I also ask them to include a new bootsplash called splash.xpm into the same directory. Would this work for your system?

My boot splash image (splash.xpm) is stored at boot partition - just where it needs to be. How do you get the boot splash from inside of the OS to be shown in Grub or Grub4DOS before the OS is booted?

Any code?

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec 2014, 14:30    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
How do you get the boot splash from inside of the OS to be shown in Grub or Grub4DOS before the OS is booted?

Any code?

My goal is different to yours - I build an iso (ready for immediate burning to CD) so I accumulate all of the files I want to add to the iso into a directory called /etc/isofiles. I get the user to add their preferred bootsplash as /usr/share/backgrounds/personal/splash.xpm then during the "distiller" process which assembles all the files i want to get into the iso I bring it across like this:
Code:
#Add the users choice of bootsplash into the iso bootfiles directory
cp -f /usr/share/backgrounds/personal/splash.xpm /etc/isofiles/splash.xpm

Then I carry on with building the iso and burning it to CD

So my /etc/isofiles directory just contains these extra files that need to be added to the personalised sfs and put on CD:
etc_isofiles.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   24.57 KB
 Viewed   468 Time(s)

etc_isofiles.jpg

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec 2014, 22:06    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
#Add the users choice of bootsplash into the iso bootfiles directory
cp -f /usr/share/backgrounds/personal/splash.xpm /etc/isofiles/splash.xpm

I see now, just thought you would have discovered a secret way to get access to the .sfs from within Grub or Grub4DOS etc.pp.

Ok, while doing some more work on this here I have discovered a small issue when choosing a new Window Manager to use without to load a additional Window Manager SFS.

If setting a new WM just enter a dummy Name for the WM SFS to load.

By now I'm able to setup also:

- WM Theme
- GTK Theme
- Icon Theme
- Audio Theme (only in LazY Puppy/L.A.S.S.I.E. afaik)

Everything is setup from within /etc/profile.local.

Also by now, I'm convinced we really can do absolutely everything from within /etc/profile.local, though some probably may need to be done from /root/Startup.

However, it should be possible to setup also all the needed internet stuff as well as screen resolution and/or screen sizes plus many many more. All from within a regular text file (.cfg).

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec 2014, 22:21    Post subject:  

Hi.

I have made an update for the initrd.gz of precise 5.7.1 and uploaded to the first post.

The above mentioned small issue is gone and it offers now new options:

MYWMTHEME=
MYGTKTHEME=
MYICONTHEME=
#MYAUDIOTHEMEDIR= # currently not implemented
MYAUDIOTHEME=

The MYWMTHEME is currently working for JWM, IceWM and Openbox.
The MYAUDIOTHEME will only work if your Puppy has /usr/share/audio-themes (plus sub-directories with audio)

I have chosen not to upload a new initrd.gz. Instead I have just packaged the needed files plus a readme file containing needed instructions. Since I'm developing this from running my LazY Puppy I decided also to upload just updated files for the initrd.gz of precise 5.7.1, which saves me some time to be rather used for development instead of doing a manual copy & paste of equal code sections several times for different initrd.gz files.

I will just continue to update these precise 5.7.1 files since all files just needed to be copied and the code from within the init script is easily copied & pasted by your self.

Next I will try to make functions out of my code or even transferring it into separated scripts (as mavrothal suggested), which would make it a lot easier for anyone to include this into their Puppy Systems.

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec 2014, 02:16    Post subject:  

RSH wrote:
Next I will try to make functions out of my code or even transferring it into separated scripts (as mavrothal suggested), which would make it a lot easier for anyone to include this into their Puppy Systems.

I have successfully made functions out of two of the main parts of my code, but did fail to get this to work when transferring these functions code into a separated script.

The script so far is executed and it echoes all the needed Information to the console -as it is as when the code is included into the init script- but it does just return empty data, so nothing out of the config file seems to be used and set up.

If someone has some hints how to solve this, please, let me know.

Page 3 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: