? Grub4dos splashscreen font colors --Questions ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikeslr

? Grub4dos splashscreen font colors --Questions ?

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

A wellminded search of the forum and some other googling provided instructions on how to create the splash.xpm that will provide an image against which Grub4dos' listing in menu.lst will display.

But I haven't found anything explaining how to define the colors of the fonts used in displaying that list, or the background against which those fonts appear.

At the top of my current Menu.lst are the following lines:

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.8.0
color white/black black/cyan white/black cyan/black
splashimage=/splash.xpm

[v.1.8.0 may not be the newest. When adding a new Pup, I usually edit Menu.lst rather than re-run Grub4dos. I don't think it makes any difference with regard to my questions. Please correct me if I'm in error].

I read somewhere that Grub4dos could use any font color designations which Grub/Grub-legacy could use. Further, that font designations in Grub/Grub-legacy could be made by specifying the following colors by name:

black, blue, brown, cyan, dark-gray, green, light-cyan, light-blue, light-green, light-gray, light-magenta, light-red, magenta, red, white, and yellow.

My assumption had been that the line reading:

color white/black black/cyan white/black cyan/black

was in someway connected to making the designation of the font color and the background against which the font would display. Except for a picture, the basic color of my splash screen is black; and the left half --against which the Menu.listing displays is entirely black. Except for where the word "black" appears, I've changed the names following the word "color" several times. Regardless of what color name I used, the color of the fonts appearing in the menu.lst display are always white against a black background, until "selected" in which case the font color is black against a white background.

Later, after selecting which OS to boot, as what is taking place is displayed in the terminal, red and yellow dots appear, some magenta text appears, some green text, and some yellow text appears, all against a black background. I assume those are the result of instructions in Initrd.

So, my questions are
(1) How are the colors of the fonts, and the backgrounds to such fonts in the Menu.lst display , defined; whether or not a menu item is selected?

and
(2) if the color line in Menu.lst is not for that purpose, what does it do?

Please feel free to criticize any false assumptions I may have made. Assume --as is often the case-- that in the absence of definitive knowledge I make assumptions so that I can later test their validity. Please also feel free to expand this topic to include any useful information regarding defining the color of fonts which will be displayed on a splash screen.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)