Network Puppy built on Slacko and/or Lucid

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Atle

Network Puppy built on Slacko and/or Lucid

#1 Post by Atle »

Dear folks

I see Pupy already have a neat script as for making you computer into a wired router(shareinternet)

Also there are some threads on Hostadp as well..

There is even some stuff written on USBIP, but it did not make it more clear to me if the aim was reached or not.

Anyhow... Assuming you got a original Slacko 5.7...

And what is NEW(or could be) is that you can choose to boot into additionally 3 modes from boot options. Those can be.

1) Boot the original Slacko as it is(and the ToRam boot option as well)

2) Boot the computer into a preloaded mode where the Shareinternet mode is working "out of the box".

3) boot the computer into a mode where the Hostapd is making your computer into a AP.

4) Boot your computer into a mode where USBIP si preloaded into a working mode...

Now that would make networking kind of in a new perspective?

The idea with preset modes is to have people not so good with linux being able to enjoy it for special purposes such as sharing a server with its content, running a game server in your local whatever and so forth :-)

Open for a beating on this :-)

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

The instructions for using samba-tng as a headless server is on this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204

Atle

#3 Post by Atle »

Hi...

Imagine you have a webserver running. And its about sharing that and/or internet. Shared "folders" i guess is what Samba is about?

That sounds a bit like 1990 to me, while pure web and IP is a bit more what people would consider today stuff??? Or?

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Actually, more like 1980s LANtastic, Novell, Microsoft, IBM morphed into Win4workgroup into 99% of all PCs on the planet which comes with smb sharing builtin.

FTP, SFTP, NFS, Websharing, and other P2P technologies ALSO do sharing but the knowledge level to do so is a little higher for most nonIT users to both setup and knowledge of tool to access.

Since 99% of the PCs ALL know how to share, SAMBA continues to be a vehicle in Linux world to share with those LAN users. Vendors build smb protocols into their LAN equipment.

BUT, there is a new entry coming at all of us. It is different. To draw a parallel, the old PC BIOS (AMD/Phoenix/etc) was well understood. But, vendors seeked a need to proprietary device starts, so for PC world we have EFI/UEFI. On the LAN side of knowledge, most everyone/many knows how to share an item from their PCs to others on their LANs. Our future use of connected devices will be a differing levels than heretofore used widely; namely SDN is coming and already here for a few. It is bringing a new kind of proprietary connection technology with inherent sharing. Look it up! If confused, PM me.

Here to help

LazY Puppy

Re: Network Puppy built on Slacko and/or Lucid

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

Atle wrote:Dear folks

1) Boot the original Slacko as it is(and the ToRam boot option as well)

2) Boot the computer into a preloaded mode where the Shareinternet mode is working "out of the box".

3) boot the computer into a mode where the Hostapd is making your computer into a AP.

4) Boot your computer into a mode where USBIP si preloaded into a working mode...

Now that would make networking kind of in a new perspective?

The idea with preset modes is to have people not so good with linux being able to enjoy it for special purposes such as sharing a server with its content, running a game server in your local whatever and so forth
You should definitely have a look at my Getting closer... or ...editing the initrd.gz topic in the programming section. This of course could give you some ideas.

I am booting my multiple LazY Puppy Systems into different setups/modes by additional boot options and external config files.

The opening post of my Getting closer... or ...editing the initrd.gz topic has a list of what options are currently there to be setup by a config file. There are initrd.gz files to download, for Slacko 593, Tahr 60CE, Precise 571 and SuperLucid 4 to test immediately. Also there is updated files for the Precise 571 initrd.gz. I'm convinced of possibilities to setup also network -and whatever comes in mind- by such config files. All by editing the init script in initrd.gz.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Atle

#6 Post by Atle »

@gcmartin

Imagine that all that is to Samba is also present in a web environment.

And that all computer users knows how to use hyperlinks, uploads and downloads trough the web browser. So yes, samba is great and probably a standard, but in my humble opinion its like crossing the river to get water.

What can be stored in Samba, can also be stored in such a CMS as Joomla and then accessed trough the familiar interface that a web browser offers.

When I look at projects and development, I always aim towards the users with less knowledge. I call it my "Grandmother approved" philosophy. As for me, I never used samba, never felt the need for that, but I do recall the need for shared folders in the 1990s when i was "in business".

Today I would have resolved that with a webserver, offering the exact same services, but in a interface that requires no new knowledge.

To get away from the samba debate, lets assume we use gaming over a network as our example of a goal. But in my mind is a webserver running joomla, offering Puppy downloads, or even the game and what not:-)

@LazY Puppy

Wow... I need to study this a bit to understand me. But know that your the first to push me into reading code and try to make sense of it:-) I have read and tweaked code before, but only for joomla.

So what you show me is basically just what i was sort of suggesting, but with slightly other outcomes and goals.

If that is not fantastic I do not know what to say.

Looking at initr.gz was like you asking me to build a rocket for space travel, but once done the fear inside me for code sort of came down to a manageable level.

Your innovation can be summarized to this? (correct me if wrong)

That a user, upon boot, in a pre X enviroment, choose additional scripts to be executed alongside with X, so that the user can boot the computer into a mode that normally requires a certain level of knowledge. And that make a "anyone" able to boot the computer into doing "shit" they don't really would want to or are able to learn how to "set up" such as the 3 modes I use in the first post.

Or any mode.

A example could be that a users chooses "Mobile Internet Mode", whereas the dialup script is popping up at its own will, the webbrowser comes up in "save bandwidth mode" and Firefox is set to not automatically download a new version.

I can see some serious change in how we think computing with the usage of your idea.

Great work and let me play around with it and try to understand how this actually works...

Just to show that I am also serious as when it comes to being innovative I make even another suggestion where this scripts might also make a big difference.

Best

Atle

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Atle and Happy New Year everywhere.

One other idea that might be of help to you is a fresh new approach started in Puppyland by a member known for great, creative and novel approaches to computer usage; no matter if the users or young/old or disabled/without or local/LAN/WAN user.

His latest (beautiful, I might add) creative genius is Chromebook PUP which may be right up your alley, as well. It embraces the items you discuss while presenting a combination of PUPPY exclusives as well.

Just an additional look at the offers presented in this thread.

Hope this info is helpful