What is the best bootloader for ISO's and Frugal installs?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
steve_s

#21 Post by steve_s »

rcrsn51 wrote:
steve_s wrote:leaving about 4 gigs unallocated at the end for partition 4.
You don't even need to do that. You can fill the flash drive with the other partitions, as long as Partition #4 is not defined.

When ISObooter runs, it uses the fourth slot in the MBR partition table to mount the ISO, so the OS can find its required files (like a Puppy SFS file) that are hiding inside.
Ah, gotcha. Ok, may repartition.

steve_s

Re: ok, good one on Windows

#22 Post by steve_s »

mekalu2k4 wrote:You guys are really amazing. first thing is that this tool works. second thing is that your screen shot showing a few ISOs of windows OS. Now I have a volley of questions - please bear with me!

1. I am now working only Linux. Would like to have Wine or Oracle VM for windows (mainly for office- Outlook to store my office mails). Which one is best - Wine Vs Oracle VM?

2. Is it possible to boot into ISO of a windows OS (as you got on your key) and to do the work?

3. If yes to question 2; then Is it possible to make a ISO Win 8 + Office 2013 ?

For now these are the questions, I do not want to harass you guys much for now. This forum is a killer, keeping me busy all through the vacation.

I wish everyone on this forum - A very happy and successful new year 2015 !!
In linux I like wine if I've gotta do Win stuff. Never tried Oracle.

Using the technique outlined by rcrsn51 I've booted that windows livecd iso, and the Hiren's and Falcon 4, which both have mini-xp OS's once they are booted. They have a whole lot of other stuff, but they are also the xp livecd. They boot great. **Edit: yeah, that screenshot is from the Hiren's livecd booted from the flash drive using Isobooter.

As far as Win 8, I have no idea. Might check with BartPE and Reatogo (google em) to see if someone has done the Win 8 stuff.

And a very happy new year to you as well. yeah, this forum is still the best linux forum I've ever used, and possibly the best forum over all. 8)

rcrsn51

Re: ok, good one on Windows

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

mekalu2k4 wrote:isobooter works on windows
Thanks for the test.

steve_s

Running puppy's as frugal installs instead of iso's

#24 Post by steve_s »

FYI: I wanted to run the Puppy's as frugal installs since they are, of course, quicker that way than running as iso's/livecd's.

So, on my third partition of this flash drive (the first one is a fat that has isobooter and all my iso files, and the second partition is a swap) I made folders and then clicked on the puppy iso file I wanted then copied all the contents into their respective folders. And I also wanted the save files for each to be contained in their respective folders, so I then eddited the menu.lst file on the first partition like this:

Code: Select all

title puppy-carolina
kernel (hd0,2)/carolina/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=usb psubdir=carolina
initrd (hd0,2)/carolina/initrd.gz

title puppy-unicorn
kernel (hd0,2)/unicorn/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=usb psubdir=unicorn
initrd (hd0,2)/unicorn/initrd.gz
Works great. You can change the partition you have stuff on and/or the folder names, etc, but this format works. 8)

rcrsn51

Re: Running puppy's as frugal installs instead of iso's

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

steve_s wrote:kernel (hd0,2)/carolina/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=usb psubdir=carolina
FYI, the boot argument "root=/dev/ram0" was deprecated after Puppy 2. Also "pmedia=usb" should probably be "pmedia=usbflash".

steve_s

Re: Running puppy's as frugal installs instead of iso's

#26 Post by steve_s »

rcrsn51 wrote:
steve_s wrote:kernel (hd0,2)/carolina/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=usb psubdir=carolina
FYI, the boot argument "root=/dev/ram0" was deprecated after Puppy 2. Also "pmedia=usb" should probably be "pmedia=usbflash".
Thanks! Can I just leave out the root argument? **seems that is a yes on both, works great, thanks!

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

FYI, the boot argument "root=/dev/ram0" was deprecated after Puppy 2
well its not required when cpio initrds are used...... just to clarify that for anyone reading in case they like me continue with non disposable initrds :)

mike

Pelo

For people not speaking english

#28 Post by Pelo »

IMO Grub4Dos is the easier, no doubt about that. But i use ISOBOOTER from time to time.
I write here to underline that at least 1000 tutos exist on you tube 'how to boot' a Puppy but none about ISOBOOTER. I delete mine yesterday because capture was bad.
Quite all Puppies Videos on you tube include install.
But install a Puppy is so easy.. isn' it ?
S-kami did one for each hungarian Puppy. Sur s-kami spoke Magyar, but Puppies on screen are english.
French tuto
Kálmán Staudinger is a full installer of hungarian Puppies
When People here in the forum will have only explanations in chinese or arabic available, they will understan that written tuto is not useful at all but video are a chance. I am a French guy having practised English at the office. Most of us did not practice English since school.
Hugarians just type Kálmán Staudinger in you tube to get his videos listed
Attachments
telepitese.jpg
Easiest way is grub4Dos
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
isobooter.jpg
Isobooter explained in French
(43.81 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Asia is where Puppy Linux is the more downloaded.

#29 Post by Pelo »

Frugal install 284 videos available, most in English

Asia is where Puppy Linux is the more downloaded.

Spanish has a section in the forum. German too. Russian, hungarian and Japan have a forum.
Attachments
indonesia and Spanish.jpg
No se hablas ingles, mira a You Tube Videos para instalar su perritos.
(46.73 KiB) Downloaded 55 times