LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Volhout

GPT drive

#21 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I am not sure what TedDog meant with GPT drive not showing, but PCmanFM shows 7 partitions on the Harddrive, and 2 partitions on the USB stick (sdb1 is called CDROM, and there is no CDROM drive in this machine, so that must be teh GPT partition on the USB drive). I am running from USB stick, I have no intention to install on harddisk.

I did not try to copy the firmware from Ubuntu to LxPup. Not even sure if that works. I will try to find out if I can find it and copy it. Is this version of LxPup based on Ubuntu (debian) or is it Slackware ? Ubuntu uses systemd. Not sure if it is that simple....

I guess this is way beyond my skills, but maybe I succeed.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times

peebee

Re: GPT drive

#22 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi PeeBee,

I am not sure what TedDog meant with GPT drive not showing, but PCmanFM shows 7 partitions on the Harddrive, and 2 partitions on the USB stick (sdb1 is called CDROM, and there is no CDROM drive in this machine, so that must be teh GPT partition on the USB drive). I am running from USB stick, I have no intention to install on harddisk.

I did not try to copy the firmware from Ubuntu to LxPup. Not even sure if that works. I will try to find out if I can find it and copy it. Is this version of LxPup based on Ubuntu (debian) or is it Slackware ? Ubuntu uses systemd. Not sure if it is that simple....
sda4 seems to be not showing....??

From post #1:
THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL & BASED ON ALPHA SLACKO64 SO USE WITH CAUTION
LxPup64 - a 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop
a derivative of Slacko64 Alpha (Slacko64-5.9.1) produced by 01micko
Firmware, being code that is loaded onto the device, should be agnostic of what type of system is loading it - I think!

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gyro

Re: GPT drive

#23 Post by gyro »

Volhout wrote:I did not try to copy the firmware from Ubuntu to LxPup. Not even sure if that works.
It might work.
I have successfully used firmware copied from this debian source, http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-f ... .43.tar.gz, into Tahrpup 6.0.1, when my "dmesg" indicated missing firmware.
The above debian source contains an "iwlwifi-3160-9.ucode-23.214.9.0".
Or you could use a file from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-f ... 43_all.deb.

Or you can clone the Linux firmware with git:

Code: Select all

# git init
# git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware
to get current firmware files.
This one contains an "iwlwifi-3160-10.ucode" file.

gyro

Volhout

iwlwifi

#24 Post by Volhout »

gyro and PeeBee,

Got it working. From the link gyro provided, I extracted only "iwlwifi-3160-8.ucode-22.2.8.4.0" and renamed it into "iwlwifi-3160-8.ucode" and put it into /lib/firmware.

Next reboot, wifi connected, and I am now posting from it...

TedDog is right about the GPT drive, At shutdown I could not create a save file/folder on the GPT drive (in m case called CDROM). There is only the option to put the save file o the FAT partition. I had to use a second USB stick for the save file to hold the firmware for the WIFI.

Regards,

Volhout

Ted Dog

#25 Post by Ted Dog »

would not worry about that unknown blob using a partion of a few hundred M just before Win8-os nothing in linux understand what its its or for, I deleted it once when playing around with win8 it did not effect the use of win8. When I copied my win8 into a standard MBR I left it off and only the drive mirroring clouddrive did not work ( ok by me I hate the problems cloud caused for Apple devices)

Volhout

Mediaplayer not working

#26 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

Attached a usb harddrive with movies on it (avi and mkv). The mediaplayer won't play any of them. Duration is indicated as 0.

Anyone seen this before ?

Ted Dog

#27 Post by Ted Dog »

corrupt on copy or device too slow for playback. Saw that once and it was just too slow a device for real time playback. :cry:

I have seen a bunch of corrupt LARGER files with usb flash if copied using FatDog64beta1&2 reported it on that other thread a few others as well. Not so with FatDog64-631 :idea:

peebee

Re: Mediaplayer not working

#28 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,
Attached a usb harddrive with movies on it (avi and mkv). The mediaplayer won't play any of them. Duration is indicated as 0.
Hi Volhout

Just tried same and you are correct.

Mplayer is broken - it came from the Porteus LXDE module and is incompatible with Puppy Slacko 64.

Fix is to re-install Mplayer - see next post

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Re: Mediaplayer not working

#29 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,
Re-install Mplayer:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... x86_64.pet

.02-hybrid iso uploaded - see post #1

Volhout

Volhout

#30 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

Some observations:

0/ The hybrid iso boot on MBR PC's and on UEFI PC's, and on secure UEFI PC's.

1/
The new V2 hybrid iso does not contain my WIFI driver. Could you add it to the iso for version 3 ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gS-s ... sp=sharing

Should be in /lib/firmware ....
It's not a big deal for me to add it myself, but in combination with 2/ it is clumbersome...

2/
The new hybrid iso still does not have the option to create a save file in the GPT partition. Is this an adaption to the shutdown script ? The GPT partition is visible in PCmanFM as sdb1, the VFAT partition is sdb2. In the shutdown I can only create a save file on sdb2, not sdb1.
Since sdb2 is really small (only few Mb or so) this is not really workable.
Alternative is to update the hybrid iso with a 3rd partition (also VFAT or EXTx) that can hold the save file.

3/ Tried above option 2/ to create a 3rd partition on the USB stick, and GPARTED complains about the stick topology. The GPT partition is not in the right locations (end of the stick). So apparently there is a mismatch between UEFI as in my laptop and Gparted. Gparted cannot fix it (although it suggests to do it), probably because it is mounted....

Do not really know how to proceed....

peebee

Re: Volhout

#31 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:2/
The new hybrid iso still does not have the option to create a save file in the GPT partition. Is this an adaption to the shutdown script ? The GPT partition is visible in PCmanFM as sdb1, the VFAT partition is sdb2. In the shutdown I can only create a save file on sdb2, not sdb1.
Since sdb2 is really small (only few Mb or so) this is not really workable.
Alternative is to update the hybrid iso with a 3rd partition (also VFAT or EXTx) that can hold the save file.

3/ Tried above option 2/ to create a 3rd partition on the USB stick, and GPARTED complains about the stick topology. The GPT partition is not in the right locations (end of the stick). So apparently there is a mismatch between UEFI as in my laptop and Gparted. Gparted cannot fix it (although it suggests to do it), probably because it is mounted....

Do not really know how to proceed....
Hi Volhout

Have you tried the fix-usb.sh utility in the iso?
# This small script will fix the "missing space" caused by dd-ing LxPup64 isohybrid to a flash drive
# making the rest of the space available again for use.
# Only run this after dd-ing LxPup64 iso and not after anything else.
# (C) jamesbond 2013
It reclaims the part of your usb that hasn't been used for the iso.

It worked for me.....but I'm not on uefi....

I tried the Gparted in FatDog and it had the same problems with the usb as the version in LxPup64 (which I think comes from Porteus). The Gparted in Slacko64 is no better.

However I think Kirk/JamesBond must have included the fix-usb.sh utility because of these problems??

Cheers
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

Re: iwlwifi

#32 Post by gyro »

Volhout wrote:I had to use a second USB stick for the save file to hold the firmware for the WIFI.
If you are still having difficulty with the savefile, I have made a ydrv containing just the firmware file.
It can be downloaded from http://www.fishprogs.info/puppy/lxpup64 ... _14.12.sfs.
To use it just copy it into the same directory as "puppy_lxpup64_14.12.sfs", and reboot.
You should not need the savefile any more for the firmware file. Your wifi should work on a fresh first boot.

gyro

Volhout

save file

#33 Post by Volhout »

Hello gyro,

Thank you for the effort, I will check this out, but I already managed (using the fatdog fix-usb.sh, and manually formatted the sdb3 partition on the USB stick (to FAT32 in my case, simply becuase it is also visible on W8.1). Created a save file, and copied the wifi firmware file to /lib/firmware/

All is working now.

Next is Bluetooth (same chip, but different drive), and the audio (intel-hda), since I only see 3xSPDIF in retrovol, same as fatdog64-700 (in alsamixer). No volume controls.

Investigation time, but a lot happier now I have WIFI (internet!).

Ted Dog

#34 Post by Ted Dog »

You can use the no format boot method to boot. I have already used it to early test if there was going to be an issue with UEFI before I put the effort to pull out the needed code for this effort a week or two ago. You will have to unpack iso and copy to subdirectory.. Let me see if the grub lines still exists. If the main developer combines the sfs into initrd like fatdog64 does or better add the code in initrd to loop mount the iso itself to get sfs the way Ubuntu does it.

I think I already linked it in this thread if not its in projects.

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

found it... here is how I do it, the USB is 100% read write and you can update grub.cfg at will.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 443#819443

Volhout

sound and bluetooth

#36 Post by Volhout »

Got sound to work as expected using the multiple sound card wizard tool, to assign laptop speakers to the retrovol volume controls. The SPDIF's I was looking at where the multichannel audio output for HDMI.

Bluetooth does not give me no errors anymore in dmesg, after creating /lib/firmware/intel/ and putting the "ibt-hw-37.7.10-fw-1.0.2.3.d.desg" from gyro's file (containing also the iwlwifi firmware) in it.

It's starting to work. The real testing can begin....
I may put this on a USB3 stick to speed up booting a bit, and maybe remove some delays in the startup (waiting 5 seconds, then 3 seconds, then 10 seconds....).

Thanks all for teaching me more of the in's and out's in linux. I am beginning to get the hang of it.

btw: nice web page for LxPup PeeBee

sszindian

Hybrid

#37 Post by sszindian »

hybrid iso version of LxPup64-14.12.02

Burned a copy to CD did the first option on the main menu (live CD) I believe it was... anyway the new hybrid picked up the savefile on the HDD from the previous version automatically and apparently did an auto-update on itself?

Anyway, running well so far except same problems that were in previous version-

1: Printer scanner not working
2: Firewall setup can't survive a reboot

Another function that isn't working is installing the google plug-in for the phone in GMAIL. (browsers- Chromium and Firefox) Same true in Slacko64

Other features seem to be OK so far.... testing goes on!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Volhout

Re: iwlwifi

#38 Post by Volhout »

Hi Gyro,

Tried to put your ydrv in the same folder as the main SFS, but did not succeed. The partition is read only. I tried CHMOD 777 sdb1 in mnt/, and that didn't work either. It changed to drwxr-xr-x....
Any idea how I can make that partition writable so I can put the file there.?

Regards,

Volhout

gyro wrote:
Volhout wrote:I had to use a second USB stick for the save file to hold the firmware for the WIFI.
If you are still having difficulty with the savefile, I have made a ydrv containing just the firmware file.
It can be downloaded from http://www.fishprogs.info/puppy/lxpup64 ... _14.12.sfs.
To use it just copy it into the same directory as "puppy_lxpup64_14.12.sfs", and reboot.
You should not need the savefile any more for the firmware file. Your wifi should work on a fresh first boot.

gyro

gcmartin

#39 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Volhout

This should do it for you. You will need to re-boot this time using "pfix=ram" (for 'without a save file'). Then, copy your ydrv to your SFS folder.

Then reboot, normal, for the system to find its stuff during normal boot, as you expect.

Hope this helps

Volhout

What's next

#40 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I am a bit addicted to LxPups... For me these pups feel more familiar with my daytime job (have to use microsoft). But my new HW require me to use UEFI safe boot, and that works with LxPup64 now (hybrid iso).

What are your future plans for LxPup64 ..??

To me it appears that there are other 64 bit pups that have active development. Slacko64 seems to stall.
Are you actively investigating another base under LxPup64, or planning to ice it.

I am asking since many of the bugs found in LxPups relate to the underlying puppy, and by starting testing of your envisioned (new) puppy, I can do something usefull. I can't test them all.....

Appreciate your work !

Volhout