Different resolutions on different desktops

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rufwoof

Different resolutions on different desktops

#1 Post by rufwoof »

For a 2 desktop Puppy, change /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal desktop setting to something like

Code: Select all

<Desktops width="2" height="1">
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/bin/resHI</Background></Desktop>
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/bin/resLO</Background></Desktop>
</Desktops>
that will execute the commands /usr/bin/resHI and /usr/bin/resLO when you switch between desktop 1 and desktop 2

/usr/bin/resHI (and resLO) are just scripts I created (and made executable) in the /usr/bin folder

xrandr shows what resolutions your card/system supports, so for mine my resHI looks like

#!/bin/bash
xrandr --output VGA2 --mode 1024x768 --rate 60

and resLO looks like

#!/bin/bash
xrandr --output VGA2 --mode 800x600 --rate 60.3

You'll have to set the output, mode and rate according to your own system

Now when on desktop 1 I'm in 1024x768 mode and drag across to desktop 2 (the right) or switch desktops and it switches to 800x600 resolution. For me that's handy when using Softmaker/FreeOffice as the fonts are too small for comfort in 1024x768, but much clearer in 800x600. i.e normal typing/running is OK under 1024x768, but then when it comes to open or save the open file dialog text is too small for comfort, so drag that dialog to the right (into desktop 2) and its much easier to see.

(EDIT : PS, if I load nvidia resolution changing using xrandr stops working, so mileage may vary)
Attachments
dt.jpg
(64.8 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
hr.jpg
(55.76 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
lr.jpg
(44.08 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

So that you don't loose vision of the drive icons after having switched from a higher resolution desktop to a lower res desktop edit /etc/eventmanager

ICON_PLACE-ORIENTATION='top'

I also changed

ICON_PLACE_EDGE_GAP=120

to give room for the normal desktop icons I have at the top of the screen

which will relocate the drive icons towards the top of the screen.

You need to run menu, desktop, drive icon manager - to check the re-draw drive icons checkbox, ok that and then restart X for the changes to take effect
Attachments
drives.jpg
(86.76 KiB) Downloaded 227 times