Screen display messed up after adding pup001

Booting, installing, newbie
djlsky

Screen display messed up after adding pup001

#1 Post by djlsky »

When I first install puppy (live cd) it asks the usual setup questions which I answer. Puppy then warns that I don't have a pup001 so changes won't be saved, then system dispalys fine, everything works ok, have to setup everything as usual. When I unzip pup001 and restart Puppy to update it my display goes crazy with multiple overlays of the screen. Granted I have an older monitor that only supports upto 800x600,24 but it should display properly as it did before I setup pup001.
I downloaded the zip again (from a different mirror) and the new copy does the same. What does not happen as expected is the screen config wizard does not display after installing the pup001 file. Is there a way to start puppy in a "minimal" mode so that I can set the video up into pup001? I'm using puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso, same thing occures with puppy-1.0.2-opera-custom.iso . Thanks, djl

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

when you get the weird display hit ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the X server, this will leave you at the prompt

delete the file in /etc called videomode

then type xwin to restart X, you should get a dialog to pick resolution and color depth