Media Transfer Protocol MTP (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
SnoopPup

#201 Post by SnoopPup »

I just also noticed a new icon on my tray. A little phone with a green dot. When I click it, it says "go-mtpfs not running". Can also right click it and it gives me an option to browse device, but displays no files when selected.

SnoopPup

#202 Post by SnoopPup »

So clicking on that little phone icon says go-mtpfs not running, so I started go-mtpfs in terminal with go-mtpfs MTPdevice & to keep it running with the & (I believe) but clicking on the phone icon still says it's not running.

Process manager was reporting gphotofs still running, so I killed it, then fired up go-mtpfs in terminal but process manager still says it's not running.

SnoopPup

#203 Post by SnoopPup »

So after I killed gphotofs, it looks like I can no longer even get the "Mounted successfully" box or the little phone icon in tray.

SnoopPup

#204 Post by SnoopPup »

UPDATE:

So now I'm getting an MTPdevice folder with Orange Triangle with an Exclamation Mark ICON in my /mnt folder. When I click it, it says doesn't exist:

smokey01

#205 Post by smokey01 »

In tahrpup-CE-6.0 MTP works out of the box. When I plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 the PupCamera GUI pops up recognising my phone as a camera. Click on the Open button to mount and it sees both the internal memory and microSD card.
I can copy files back and forth.

SnoopPup

#206 Post by SnoopPup »

ROX is now locking up as well. Like the scan button will scan once and then freeze the screen. had to restart graphical interface once.

SnoopPup

#207 Post by SnoopPup »

smokey01 wrote:In tahrpup-CE-6.0 MTP works out of the box. When I plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 the PupCamera GUI pops up recognising my phone as a camera. Click on the Open button to mount and it sees both the internal memory and microSD card.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Just upgrade to latest to see if better. tahrpup-6.0 is not much larger, is it?

smokey01

#208 Post by smokey01 »

SnoopPup wrote:
smokey01 wrote:In tahrpup-CE-6.0 MTP works out of the box. When I plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 the PupCamera GUI pops up recognising my phone as a camera. Click on the Open button to mount and it sees both the internal memory and microSD card.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Just upgrade to latest to see if better. tahrpup-6.0 is not much larger, is it?
Tahr=199 Slacko=161

Slacko is great but I find tahr just a little more complete as it has vlc, my favourite media player.

SnoopPup

#209 Post by SnoopPup »

smokey01 wrote:
SnoopPup wrote:
Tahr=199 Slacko=161

Slacko is great but I find tahr just a little more complete as it has vlc, my favourite media player.
vlc is my favorite player too. I was surprised not to see it in Slacko 5.7. I can stream music/movies from pc to phone with vlc, to anywhere really. Now that I know how to install through puppy pkg mgr a little, I see that it is there. Not sure what version. I'm still on a learning curve. I got a Red Hat distro up to a prompt almost 15 years ago, but it's been about that long since I have used Linux, well, besides using it every time I'm on the internet connecting to an Apache server, etc., but I don't have to do much besides mash Windows icons.

Anyway, downloading 6.0 iso now. Is there an easy way to just add it to my hard drived installation MBR or bootloader or wherever it is it should be?

SnoopPup

#210 Post by SnoopPup »

WOW, just wanted to say that my first reaction to booting up tahrpup 6.0 and running the default Pale Moon browser is that it seems blazing fast compared to Slacko 5.7, which itself seemed pretty fast compared to XP on a Pentium 4 with 2 gigs. I think it's more than the browser because opening a few apps like vlc, sysinfo, etc seems much faster.

Now on to getting my phone connected, hopefully. Either way, thanks for pushing me to try to 6.0. I was planning to try out the different distros eventually, but now is better than later.

SnoopPup

#211 Post by SnoopPup »

lol...I think tahrpup 6.0 is tooooo fast..lol

which reminds me of a suggestion: it would be helpful to slow down some of the pop-up boxes that present during various installations. Sometimes an error box will pop up and disappear before I can read it. I will also add this to the suggestions thread I saw the other night.

Semme

#212 Post by Semme »

Do yourself a favor and get a factory cord. Those after-markets are poorly made and anything but reliable.

Firsthand experience tells me it's not the software that's holding your phone back, it's the lousy cord.
ROX runs displaying /mnt/MTPdevice with a green dot..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#213 Post by Semme »

Potential aids: updated firmware *or* this dudes mod. Note the FOUR follow-ups.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

SnoopPup

#214 Post by SnoopPup »

Since I moved to tahrpup 6.0, I'm getting zero connection.

I'll go ahead and pick up a new cord, but my hunch is that that is not the problem.

The thing about Samsung cables is that the phone connector wire breaks pretty quickly, broke 2 in 6 months. Got electrical tape on this one, but it's just a power cord from an old Samsung phone, not a data cable.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help. I'm not giving up on Puppy, 6.0 is too damn fast. I have a hunch it is more stable than Slacko 5.7 too, I mean, I was surprised that I ever had to reboot Slacko 5.7, but I did have to a couple of times. Not sure what caused that, but I was a little surprised. Might've been screen res though,but it did lock up a few times. So far, no lock ups on 6.0 and none in sight. :)

Semme

#215 Post by Semme »

No dice, huh? Both libs grabbed my phone aboard Tahr.
Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable.
Odd, here you list "e" >> Dev ID [04e8:685e].. Your ss says otherwise.

Not that it matters much @ the moment.. I was merely bringing your info to the forefront.
Attachments
sp-pid_mtp.jpg
(134.82 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

Semme

#216 Post by Semme »

PS >> If your phone's gonna work @ all, the difference between a shoddy cable and good one.
Attachments
libmtp_connect1.jpg
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 752 times

SnoopPup

#217 Post by SnoopPup »

That is a good catch on the Device ID variation. Hmm..maybe cable? I mean, that's a really good catch. I missed that. What would cause that? That number should be the same, no? Could it be caused by switching from PDA to MODEM and back to PDA? I tried various settings in Samsung phone utils. I will look up exactly what those letters and numbers mean.

So I finally installed Airdroid app and it is pretty awesome. Previously I had tried other Wifi-Android-PC file managers, and I wasn't impressed, but this Airdroid is pretty slick. Thanks for that recommendation.

I still would like to get my phone connected to Linux via USB because a few weeks ago I was trying to install custom ROM mods to upgrade Android from ICS to KitKat, etc. Most of that process is best done with a Linux OS from what I can tell. Besides all the web servers and super-computers that run Linux, if you think about it, and you probably have, but I hadn't, the billion or so Android devices are also Linux machines. Pretty incredible.

But I find after several hours of banging my head against the wall and failing to accomplish much, the frustration and fatigue start to produce a lot of errors and unclear thinking in my attempts to troubleshoot. So instead I installed tahrpup 6.0 on another machine and TinyCore on another and went to sleep satisfied that I had accomplished something. lol Actually, I installed that Airdroid after that and went to sleep really satisfied. I even dreamt about it. lol.

Just in a good mood tonight. Patriots won a close one against the Ravens and are now headed to AFC Champ game. So all is well in New England. Also wondering now how many Linux machines are running at your average football game. Including cell phones, it must be close to 100K.

I will definitely pick up a cable, because I did notice improvement when I got rid of the extension I was using to connect to windows. And many people have experienced the same. Also looking at a new phone, probably not Samsung, probably Motorola. I will definitely make sure it MTP/PTP is selectable. By the time I get around to getting it,there will likely be new protocols, though.

Cheers!

SnoopPup

#218 Post by SnoopPup »

Unable to locate and confirm Hex Device ID on my phone. I think that's HEX, right? Checked phone status in Settings and checked under battery. Not sure where I can confirm its Device ID.

Semme

#219 Post by Semme »

So, you're running Tahr, correct? What have you installed in trying to mount your phone?

SnoopPup

#220 Post by SnoopPup »

Semme wrote:Potential aids: updated firmware *or* this dudes mod. Note the FOUR follow-ups.
Oh, I missed this last night. Like I said, I was in a bit of a fog after repeated failures.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. Let me take a look.