2.12b iniitial CDROM - Trident 9750 - Garbled text

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
wb0gaz

2.12b iniitial CDROM - Trident 9750 - Garbled text

#1 Post by wb0gaz »

I'm starting install of 2.12b onto a 333 MHz desktop machine that has a Trident 3Dimage 975, type 9750 4MB ram video card in a PCI slot.

The CDROM boot process begins normally, however, when the screen appears that is asking for which keyboard (or language) layout to use - the long list of country types - all of the text characters are garbled so I cannot navigate further, and cannot get to the point where Xvesa or Xorg is selected. It (the garbling) is not random - it is more that whatever mechanism is used to paint character-mode colors or graphics for that particular dialog box is doing something to the video card that the card didn't expect (as if the assumption made about the mapping of text type data to the display buffer space isn't compatible with the mode the card is in, or the card's use of text-mode buffer memory.)

Is there a kernel boot-up option that could prevent whatever mode-switching is occuring, if that's what's happening?

Very tks,

Dave
wb0gaz@hotmail.com

wb0gaz

#2 Post by wb0gaz »

I discovered I did indeed have another video card (which works fine), and the Trident card was in an AGP slot, not a PCI slot, so please forget about the previous post here, I don't plan to continue working on that card.

Now OK and proceeding with install

Dave