Tor Browser Bundle

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
phredo

#21 Post by phredo »

It looks like you hit the nail on the head, but I don't understand how or what to change. Here's the final two messages of the torbrowser startup:
Jun 08 22:40:24.000 [warn] Our clock is 14 hours, 19 minutes behind the time published in the consensus network status document (2014-06-09 05:00:00 UTC). Tor needs an accurate clock to work correctly. Please check your time and date settings!

Jun 08 22:40:24.000 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit: We have no recent usable consensus.
But Jun 8, 22:40 WAS the correct time. I'm in time zone -8 (California), so it seems like the UTC would be 8 hours later, which is close to 6/9 05:00, (but still 24 minutes off). So how can I fix the problem? I seem to remember this happening to me once with Tor in Windows, but I don't remember how I resolved the problem.

Update: I went to Quick Setup First Run Settings, checked the "Set time/date from internet" box, and did the update. Now Tor starts up but my clock says Jun 9, 2:07 pm. But it's really Jun 8, 11:08 pm here in California, so something is still not right, even though I'm glad Tor is working. Do you have further insights?

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

hmm clock whinges ... an hour or 2 was usually ok and since we are crossing time zones I never understood the problem anyway.
Tor also complains about versions 2 minutes after compiling it :D

So no one know why there is a need for a 'special' tor browser then since I just use standard firefox?

mike

step

#23 Post by step »

mikeb wrote: So no one know why there is a need for a 'special' tor browser then since I just use standard firefox?
Maybe I misunderstood your questions, but I think a special tor browser is useful for the scores of people who need pretty good privacy (from their oppressive government's eyes, etc.) and aren't technical enough to know how to attain it.
I prefer using the Tor-browser bundle because it's hardened by people who (should) keep current on all possible security exploits, while I don't.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

ah ok... just seemed like a quick config change but wanted to know if I was missing something.
I pop on tor when there are sites who seem to have a problem with where I live usually so its handy to just flip the proxy setting when that happens.

mike

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

New versions of Tor Browser Bundle are released fairly frequently and I try to package and upload them as soon as I become aware of them. I then edit the first post and title of this thread with the new version number but I don't keep bumping the thread every time. Interested parties should keep an eye on the thread for updates. I will just mention that today I have updated to version 3.6.4

Change Log:-
Tor Browser 3.6.4 -- All Platforms
Update Tor to 0.2.4.23
Update Tor launcher to 0.2.5.6
Update OpenSSL to 1.0.1i
Backported Tor Patches:
Bug 11654: Properly apply the fix for malformed bug11156 log message
Bug 11200: Fix a hang during bootstrap introduced in the initial
bug11200 patch.
Update NoScript to 2.6.8.36
Bug 9516: Send Tor Launcher log messages to Browser Console
Update Torbutton to 1.6.11.1
Bug 11472: Adjust about:tor font and logo positioning to avoid overlap
Bug 12680: Fix Torbutton about url.

Hopefully the problem of (sometimes) hanging at startup which I have experienced with the last few versions is now fixed in this one.
Oscar in England

phredo

#26 Post by phredo »

My previous problem of Tor not starting in Slacko 5.7 was resolved when I got my computer clock straightened out, but I have another question.

When I unloaded the sfs in order to use the latest version Tor, I noticed most of the software remains in the my-applications folder. Feeling perplexed, I have instead been handling updates by just getting the linux Tor from their website and replacing the four folders in my-applications and leaving the "start-tor-browser" file behind, since it has the "don't start tor in root" lines removed. This has been working fine as far as updating goes, but I notice my Puppy savefile gets larger when I do this. In general, I have noticed that sometimes if I delete something and then add the same thing back, my savefile increases. It's as if it's not seeing the deletions but only the additions.

Is there anything I can do to subtract these, seemingly "ghost", files from my savefile to keep it small?

OscarTalks

#27 Post by OscarTalks »

@ phredo

What I do is unload the old .sfs and then delete all the data from the save file by going to /initrd/pup_rw/root/my-applications and deleting the entire tor-browser directory and contents.

This does remove all the cache and profile data including any preferences settings, bookmarks and add-ons. You may want to try to back those up somehow, but I only have a few settings and 3 or 4 bookmarks so I just load the new version .sfs and then put them back in again.
Oscar in England

phredo

#28 Post by phredo »

Deleting the folder from my-applications and then loading you latest version does seem the best course. I still think my savefile is growing without an obvious reason, but that's not because of tor-browser specifically, I'm sure, just something that seems to happen (to me) in Puppy. And you are really prompt about putting up the latest version, so there's not much need for me to do the procedure I mentioned of downloading from the official source and replacing the folders in my-applications/tor-browser, although that does seem to work.

By the way, does it matter if I delete the old version from /initrd/pup_rw/root/my-applications or just /root/my-applications? Are they really the same place, like the two places to access My Documents in Windows?

OscarTalks

#29 Post by OscarTalks »

They are not really different names for the same place but deleting them from either location after the .sfs has been unloaded will have the same effect.

As I understand it, the pup_rw directory is the stuff in the save-file and is the top layer in the layered file system. The overall file system also contains the other layers underneath which is made up of the main puppy .sfs and other .sfs files which you have loaded. Deleting a file from pup_rw will delete it from the overall system unless there is a file of the same name in the layers underneath (in which case that underneath version becomes exposed or re-exposed and becomes the file as seen in the overall system).
Oscar in England

phredo

#30 Post by phredo »

Thanks for the explanation. :)

OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 3.6.6 repackaged and uploaded.
See first post.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#32 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 4.0 is now released.
Uploaded as .pet and .sfs to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Browser is now based on FirefoxESR 31 so it is larger.
Directory structure is different from the 3.6.x series.
Uninstall old versions and delete the old profile from /root/my-applications
Oscar in England

stevielee

#33 Post by stevielee »

Fine effort, OscarTalks...it is much appreciated, especially the prompt updating! The sfs route keeps my puppy mods (i.e., savefile) nice and lean.

I will give it a try...hopefully all goes well.

Steven

NETTKNUT

Tor browser bundle

#34 Post by NETTKNUT »

I am using a Fujitsu Siemens esprimo P5905 with a 3GHz cpu.My main file is slacko 5.7. I downloaded the link http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks to get the 'tor-browser-4.0-x86.pet' file and get the message to open with an application. I do not know which application to use . Can someone help me please? Thanks.

OscarTalks

#35 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello NETTKNUT,

Are you downloading with a browser such as Firefox and the "open with" is in the download dialog box?

If so you should open with petget. If it does not offer you petget as an option choose "other" then "File System" and navigate with double clicks to usr>local>petget>petget and "open". This should add petget to the options in the dialog.

Otherwise use the "save file" option in the dialog rather than "open with". This saves the .pet in your usual download location (eg /root/Downloads or whatever you have set). Then just open that download location folder in ROX to see the .pet and click on it to install it.
Oscar in England

phredo

#36 Post by phredo »

There's a new version, 4.0.3, out. And not only that, but when I opened 4.0.2, I received a small, exterior to the browser, pop up window that asked me if I wanted to "download and install" 4.0.3. Should I go for it, or is it likely to mess up things, such as not work or add megabytes to my save file?

Thanks

OscarTalks

#37 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 4.0.3 uploaded as .sfs and .pet
@ phredo
Not sure if the automatic updating process works in Puppy. Might be interesting to test it but I always just delete all my old profile data and start again.
Oscar in England

phredo

#38 Post by phredo »

Thanks for the update and info. Do you know an easy way to keep my old bookmarks? Maybe a file I can save before deleting the old version?

cimarron

#39 Post by cimarron »

Looks like the Tor browser profile (with all bookmarks, addons, etc) is stored in this folder:
/root/my-applications/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default

phredo

#40 Post by phredo »

Many thanks, cimarron! Saves me a lot of re-doing.