Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://puppylinux.rockedge.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 11 Aug 2020, 15:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina: Vanguard Edition Release 2 December 2014
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 16 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 18:40    Post subject: PlayOnLinux under Carolina Vanguard  

Hi All,

As my previous post indicated, I was interested in exploring the possibility of running kost@s' PlayOnLinux under Carolina Vanguard Release 2 and had created a new "virgin" SaveFile.

I was familiar with PlayOnLinux, having found it to be of value under Zorin OS and Peppermint OS, where it facilitated the installation of some XP programs, while presenting some albeit solvable problems handling XP portables.
Having the impression that Kost@s' PlayOnLinux in its default configuration could not access files outside of its own folders, I thought it might limit whatever security risk might exist running, as Puppies do, wine as root.

Kost@s' build of PlayOnLinux, together with instructions and links to necessary pets, can be found here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=738720#738720. My initial concern was that his instructions required that the specific version of python with wx he provided be downloaded and installed. One of Carolina's and Vanguard's strengths is their video editing programs. These depend on a different version of python and I was almost certain the two pythons would conflict. Fortunately, running the test he gave revealed --at least to me-- unresolvable errors. But since I already had a virgin Vanguard setup for testing, I wondered if Carolina's python with wx would suffice. So, running Pupmode 13 with "Save=never/only on command", I chose not to save and rebooted into an again virgin Vanguard.

Selecting the wxPython-2.8.12.1.pet from Vanguard's PPM, it automatically found as dependent the Python-2.7.2-i486.pet and the wxGTK-2.8.12.1u-i486.pet, and downloaded and installed all three.

I then installed from links on the PlayOnLinux's thread the following: POL-009.pet and PlayOnLinux-4.2.5.pet.

Kost@s had suggested that PlayOnLinux would work with "any" version of Wine. Hoping that PlayOnLinux would work with Shinobar/version2013's Portable Wine, I "looked in" its folder and clicked "register" to install it into Carolina. But when PlayOnLinux was started via the menu, see attached screenshop, it was unable to find a "wine" installation. Frankly, I don't understand how Shinobar/version2013 worked their magic. Modifying either it or PlayOnLinux to co-ordinate is beyond my capabilities.

So I took the easy way and installed the 1.6.2 version of wine for which Kost@s had provided a link. That version has a working version of Winetricks.

And viola!, PlayOnLinux enabled me to install InfoCental, the Relational Database Manager masquerading as a PIM for which there is no analogous Linux, or even Windows, program to be found.

But to do that, I mounted the sda3 partition where the InfoCentral's setup file is stored, and browsed to it using PlayOnLinux built in file manager. The PlayOnLinux folder was a hidden file on Vanguard's /root. And Vanguard was run from a folder on sda2. So it seems that the suggestion that PlayOnLinux could not, by default, access other than its own folders was in error.

And so, for now at least, evaporated my interest in further exploring PlayOnLinux.

mikesLr
POL-on-Carolina.png
Description  PlayOnLinux running under Carolina Vanguard with XP's InfoCentral installed shown by the ICWin desktop Icon
png

Download 
Filename  POL-on-Carolina.png 
Filesize  53.77 KB 
Downloaded  448 Time(s) 
Terry H

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 19:10    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
As mikeslr stated earlier, if pmedia=usbflash or ataflash, ControlPanel > System > pupsaveconfig has the option of -0 = never and +0 = ask at shutdown.

I am assuming that this post is in response to my post. The problem is that my post appears to have disappeared.

I now understand, as I checked on a USB flash install and see the pupsaveconfig dialogue.
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 19:30    Post subject: VG'lite  

We all have our ways of breaking Christmas toys Very Happy One of mine is to see how many pieces I can take off something and still have it work. I did it with a hammer as a kid Exclamation , lots easier with Thunar and his Carolina stable of right-clicks. Anyway, while playing with the Main SFS, I got around to running this pup without the Adrive. Runs suprisingly well, Still with that Carolina look and feel and a nice logical selection of core apps..... and the master chefs Xorg and kernel brew. Some fixes from this thread, a font or two and .desktops for the external browsers added, a little pruning and the Main SFS weighs in at 112Mb. Did manage to hit Geany on the head with a modified Adrive but that's what Adrives and frugals are for isn't it Rolling Eyes Just having fun.

Edit: Figured out how I borked the adrive. Using the rightclick tools or running sfs2dir or unsquash in a terminal, I was not getting a complete extraction of the 373Mb adrive on my 2Gb RAM laptop. Twice letting it run unattended it looked ok but didn't complete all of the /usr/share directory. Stopped prior to geany. When I watched the process, it did give an out of RAM warning and If I canceled at that point, an empty directory. Behavior the same across vlina, xslacko, and lxpuptahr. Logging out and using unsquashfs with the -d option without X running completed correctly and much faster. Hadn't run into this before as most of what I extract tends to be less than 200Mb. Lesson learned.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Last edited by Marv on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 19:09; edited 1 time in total
Keisha

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 01:47    Post subject: monospace fonts for console  

battleshooter wrote:
Marv wrote:
Try Luxi-Mono from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=819813#819813 as the terminal font. My old eyes love it. Thanks to Keisha for pointing it out.

Hmm. Not sure if I love it...

Luxi Mono is restful on the eyes because its pronounced serifs make identification of individual characters easy. Which is especially vital if you're using transparent windows. But it looks good that large only if you have a decent version of libfreetype to render it with. In a urxvt console I set it to size 8 with this line in ~/.Xdefaults:
Code:
urxvt.font: xft:Luxi Mono:style=Regular:pixelsize=11,000000

Here's a screencap of Luxi Mono at size 8 in Geany, and a trial Abiword page with all the monospace fonts I have on my system.

Once in awhile I change to something else for variety, but I always come back to Luxi Mono.
capture17824.png
 Description   Luxi Mono 8 in Geany on a shell script
 Filesize   51.36 KB
 Viewed   874 Time(s)

capture17824.png

monospace fonts.jpg
 Description   A monospace font sampler
 Filesize   104.37 KB
 Viewed   886 Time(s)

monospace fonts.jpg

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 07:27    Post subject:  

Who hates the "Show Full Path" in the thunar right click menu, well I've made a better one, I got sick of using the existing way of getting a file/folder path.

Now it just works, right click on a file or folder and click Copy Path, now you can paste it in any application.

battleshooter you will like this, makes it so much easier as there is no dnd from thunar to gtk.

It requires xclip from the repo, it's a small 15kb binary and the copy script is 67 bytes, why did I wait so long.

EDIT: this new copy path only adds to the thunar right click menu entry with the command
Code:
echo -n %f | xclip -selection c

For those who have installed the old package just uninstall it, this will only remove the script located in /usr/bin not the menu entry, manually edit the remaining Copy Path entry with the command code above.
copy_path-1.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  copy_path-1.1.pet 
Filesize  870 Bytes 
Downloaded  203 Time(s) 
xclip-0.11-carolina.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  xclip-0.11-carolina.pet 
Filesize  19.62 KB 
Downloaded  237 Time(s) 
copypath.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   22.4 KB
 Viewed   850 Time(s)

copypath.jpg

Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 30 Jan 2015, 23:11; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 07:50    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Who hates the "Show Full Path" in the thunar right click menu

I've always wondered how Thunar users drag-and-drop files into gtkdialog apps like you can in ROX/JWM.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 09:43    Post subject:  

I tried the Luxi-Mono font, as soon as I copied it to /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF it took over from monospace,
I don't know if it was the cause but Xlock now doesn't work, well I'm not sure that it did in the first place, as the screen save hasn't shown it's self either that I remember.

Can anyone confirm that these are working. Confused

yerc1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 19:09    Post subject:  

My third post on R2 is about fonts and the chromebook touchpad.

@battleshooter, so sorry for keeping you in suspense Sad
I previously posted from my mobile on the train to work, a short 25 minutes trip.

>>Fonts<<
In Puppy (not just Carolina), there are bound to be areas where fonts don't look right. No useability impact, but is a distraction nonetheless. This is an issue that surely have been raised in the forum and solved (or maybe not) but digging around to find a way to tame fonts leads attention away from the awesome work of puppy developers.

Some examples in Vanguard R2 are the Notification pop-up and Firefox fonts.

The notification font in Linux Mint XFCE is the same size for both the pop-up window name and the pop-up message. Not so in R2. Attachment Notification font.png shows the difference.

In Firefox...
    >Text in the Puppy Linux Forum appear much smaller than text for google search results. Attachment VL_Firefox fonts.png says it better than any word can.
    >Changing the size of the default font in Control Panel, Appearance affects the menu text only. Increasing the Zoom level in Theme Font Size Changer increases the forum text size but if menu bar is shown, its size changes too (so I reverted to hidden menu)
    >I have this with the default R2 theme and Appearance settings, but changing to a different theme doesn't help.
    >The Firefox Fonts settings in R2 is the same as that in Linux Mint XFCE but the looks are miles apart.

So I know this is not happening to me only, can someone confirm?

And yes the >>touchpad<<. Wink
Though enabled, it continues to not have right-click, scroll, and configure options.
I think R2 has enabled it as a mouse.
Control Panel, Mouse and Touchpad shows one device (Mouse0) only.
Fatdog shows the touchpad as a separate device and offers right-click, scroll, and configure options.

There may be a fix to the fonts issue somewhere in the forum, or maybe not but regardless of the outcome, R2 has earned a place in my choice linux installs for my Chromebook in a 64 Gb usb stick http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/usb/drives/ultra-fit3/

A pet for xf86-input-synaptics-1.8.1 might address the touchpad problem. That package is present in Fatdog.

Hi @battleshooter/ @Geoffrey can i trouble you with compiling one?
VL_Firefox fonts.png
Description  fonts in Firefox
png

Download 
Filename  VL_Firefox fonts.png 
Filesize  135.99 KB 
Downloaded  374 Time(s) 
Notification font.png
 Description   Mint XFCE vs Vanguard notification
 Filesize   14.48 KB
 Viewed   740 Time(s)

Notification font.png

Last edited by yerc1 on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 19:41; edited 3 times in total
yerc1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 19:15    Post subject:  

Weirdness.
My post went through without my message, just the attachment.

If i try to add the whole message here, the post comes up blank???

Edit: I clicked on "Close Tags", re-sent, and the message appeared.
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 21:27    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
I tried the Luxi-Mono font, as soon as I copied it to /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF it took over from monospace,
I don't know if it was the cause but Xlock now doesn't work, well I'm not sure that it did in the first place, as the screen save hasn't shown it's self either that I remember.

Can anyone confirm that these are working. Confused

Don't use either so I had to go after them. Neither is working in R2 for me in the following:
Luxi-Mono installed.
Luxi-mono removed, mkfontscale and mkfontdir run, reboot.
Pfix=ram boot of R2, SFS files fresh off the iso

Password accepted setting up Xlock and screensaver time can be set, but trying a preview of either or Xlock from menu or waiting for screensaver gives no response at all.
All on frugal install, Grub4Dos to SSD, core 2 duo laptop. acpid running, lid suspend works, no other oddities noted

Edit to add:
xlock run in terminal on pristine boot gives:.
Code:
# xlock
  Key:
Again:
Could not create FontSet -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--24-*
Could not create FontSet fixed,-*-14-*
xlock: can not create fonset -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal--24-*!!!
#

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 23:13    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
Neither is working in R2 for me in the following:
Luxi-Mono installed.
Luxi-mono removed, mkfontscale and mkfontdir run, reboot.
Pfix=ram boot of R2, SFS files fresh off the iso

Password accepted setting up Xlock and screensaver time can be set, but trying a preview of either or Xlock from menu or waiting for screensaver gives no response at all.

Yeah, I did the same, no action, I have a locale problem, unable to set font.
Code:
# Xlock
++ awk '-F|' '{print $4}'
++ cat /root/.screener
+ SCRSVR=pacman
++ awk '-F|' '{print $5}'
++ cat /root/.screener
+ PASSPRO=FALSE
++ pidof shutdown-gui
+ SHUTDN=
+ '[' '' = TRUE ']'
+ '[' '!' -s /root/.xlockrc ']'
+ '[' -e /root/.xlockrc ']'
+ '[' -s /root/.xlockrc ']'
+ xlock -mode pacman
Could not create FontSet "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-180-*", using "fixed"
Could not create FontSet fixed,-*-14-*
xlock: can not create fonset "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-180-*", using "fixed"!!!
# xfontsel
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

I tried changing the font in /root/.Xresources but no change.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2015, 03:17    Post subject:  

I booted cleanly into ram the xlock doesn't work, the xfontsel won't set selected font
Code:
# xfontsel
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

I have tried to compile a new xclip and xsel, no luck, cannot find -lX11

Moat

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2015, 04:32    Post subject:  

yerc1 wrote:
>>Fonts<< ...

...So I know this is not happening to me only, can someone confirm?

Exclamation Me. Something is definitely "off" regarding font rendering in V'lina r2 - like you, Firefox being particularily bad. But it seems to be happening throughout the system (menus, Thunar and app windows), to varying degrees. Playing with anti-aliasing/hinting/RGB settings in the Control Panel>Desktop>Appearance window does change things as expected, but only from terrible (no anti-aliasing - almost illegible) to coarse/mildly straining, at best.

Either running live from the CD, or a frugal install to USB stick.

I spent a few hours over the last few days searching for a fix (here on the forum as well as generally, via Google) and tried a few things - but to no avail (I'm just a total noob with these things, though).

One possible (?) clue, is that my Pwidgets Weather Station's Pcompass font (normally shows as a wind direction arrow, running inside the conky's window on the desktop) - no longer displays correctly... the font is now just a stationary rectangular box, instead of an arrow (regardless of wind direction). Other conky fonts are noticably badly aliased, as well.

But it all works just fine on Carolina 1.3 with the 3.17 kernel... Exclamation Something involving font rendering has most definitely changed between the two...

I wonder if the other font issues you guys are working on above, may be related...?

Aarghh... so fast and gorgeous, otherwise!!! Smile

Bob
Marv

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2015, 07:14    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:

Exclamation Me. Something is definitely "off" regarding font rendering in V'lina r2 - like you, Firefox being particularily bad. But it seems to be happening throughout the system (menus, Thunar and app windows), to varying degrees. Playing with anti-aliasing/hinting/RGB settings in the Control Panel>Desktop>Appearance window does change things as expected, but only from terrible (no anti-aliasing - almost illegible) to coarse/mildly straining, at best.

Try changing themes. I was puzzling over why the menu etc didn't 'seem' to track my font changes while the display/icons did. Probably I was in the default theme. I switched to another theme (currently using Gold Rush with Faba brown icons) and an old xfce WM theme, one of my stash, Default 4.0, and bingo, tracking. Superquick to try. I don't use firefox so no help there. I also noticed that there is a fonttweak in /root/.gtkrc-2.0. Might that override the sys choice? I don't know. If the theme change makes a difference, might be a missing engine.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2015, 14:52    Post subject:  

Sound works ok on bootup, however if I do run Alsa Config it doesn't detect any sound cards at all.
Page 16 of 41 [615 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: