Question on Microcom Terminal

Using applications, configuring, problems
JustGreg

Question on Microcom Terminal

#1 Post by JustGreg »

I have been using Microcom serial terminal, which is part of BusyBox, to work with Arduino microprocessor boards. It works generally well.

I have been experimenting with a USB module in command mode. The module in command mode responds to AT commands (like an old USB modem). However, the AT command string needs to be to terminated with a carriage return (cr) and line feed (newline or lf). Microcom only appears to be sending the carriage return and not the linefeed. I have tried the normal bash escape sequence (\n) and ctrl a. Neither works.

Is there an option to have Microcom send a carriage return and line feed? Is possible at all? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

Here is a page that has the microcom manual. Note the "-m" switch that toggles cr/nl .

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/f/topic-3-7-11379-0.html

Most terminal emulators have a switch for this as it is an annoying problem as old as computing itself.

If is a leftover artifact of outputting to line printers (Before CRTs). A CR moves the print head back to the beginning of the line, and a LF(NL) advances the carriage to the next line.

Unix = LF, Apple = CR, and MS = CR/LF

I hope this helps in some way.

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

jafadmin,

Yes, this is a very old problem that keeps popping up. You are right about the printers. It comes actually from the Teletype printers used after punch cards became obsolete. Thank you for the information. At least now, I can try things to get it to work.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#4 Post by JustGreg »

I found the BusyBox version of microcom in Fatdog64 does not support all the options. It is a very limited set. I will have to look at building a terminal emulator from source code. Another thing on the to do list.
Enjoy life, Just Greg