tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
666philb

#341 Post by 666philb »

keyboard wrote:and... yes it is re-sizable :)
thanks keyboard, it's working well now :D added to bugfixes
i made the gui resizable

Code: Select all

export SFS_DIALOG="<window title="$(gettext 'SFS Downloader: choose file')" default_height="400" default_width="400" resizable="true" icon-name="gtk-about" window_position="1">
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

keyboard

#342 Post by keyboard »

666philb wrote:
keyboard wrote:and... yes it is re-sizable :)
thanks keyboard, it's working well now :D added to bugfixes
i made the gui resizable

export SFS_DIALOG="<window title="$(gettext 'SFS Downloader: choose file')" default_height="400" default_width="400" resizable="true" icon-name="gtk-about" window_position="1">
Lol wasn't the script I adjusted was already re-sizable ?? hmm.. okay .. let me check..So it didn't mattered, it was already re-sizable, anyways only thing it did that it changed this (from the code I posted):

<width>400</width> 
 <height>550</height>  
but well.. now at least it is not re sizable by default and hard coded :)

Mike Walsh

Possible bug in Tahrpup?

#343 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

I run an old HP/Compaq desktop, circa 2005. It has an Athlon 64, 3 GB of DDR1 RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics.....and a WD 160 GB IDE/PATA HDD.

I've been running 'Tahrpup' 6.0 on it since early November. Really like it. I originally started using it on my even older Dell Inspiron laptop, 'cos it was the only Linux distro that would work, out-of-the-box, with the Intel 'Extreme' graphics chip it has ('Brookedale', 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV); and I was so impressed with it that I did a frugal install on the Compaq, too. It simply FLIES on the desktop PC.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I used 'Peasydisc' for the first time night before last, to burn VectorLinux to a DVD, since I want to try it. Upon shutting the program down, after completing the disc, my CPU loading shot straight up to 100%, and just sat there. htop showed it was running flat-out (although it didn't show ANYTHING that could have been using it); and the CPU temps steadily climbed until the fan cut in on max.

That was at approx 65C; doesn't sound that warm compared to some Intels, I know, but this thing rarely gets much over 35C, even listening to streaming audio & playing vids at the same time. First time I've ever heard the fan on max, so.....I was a wee bit concerned.

Even half-a-dozen successive re-boots didn't seem to cure it. As soon as the desktop came up, pWidgets 'CPU-bar' showed it going straight to 100%, and not moving. tempiconsvg 0.21 showed it steadily climbing toward the cut-in point. Cursor movement was jerky (a sure sign of high CPU usage on this old girl), and response to ANYTHING was pretty sluggish.

I re-installed yesterday morning; understandably enough, that did fix it. But I'm curious as to what might have happened.....and whether or not Peasydisc WAS in fact responsible.

Regards,

Mike.

666philb

#344 Post by 666philb »

hi Mike Walsh,

only way to really know is to try and reproduce the error.

if something like that happens again ... check menu>>>system>>htop to see whats eating cpu .... also look at /tmp/xerrs.log for errors
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Mike Walsh

#345 Post by Mike Walsh »

666philb wrote:hi Mike Walsh,

only way to really know is to try and reproduce the error.

if something like that happens again ... check menu>>>system>>htop to see whats eating cpu .... also look at /tmp/xerrs.log for errors
Hallo, 666philb.

I did JUST that, this morning. Ran Peasydisc and burnt another copy of the same .iso.....and this time, upon shutdown, it was behaving itself nicely. I really wouldn't like to say what could have caused it.

Looked at htop while it was running, but there was nothing going on that I wouldn't have expected.

rcrsn51 asked me to do the same, since I posted the problem in his 'Peasydisc tools' thread. He's checked the app over this morning & run a few tests on it; he can't reproduce the error, neither.

So it looks like one of those 'one-off' silly things, really.

Regards,

Mike. :roll:

keyboard

You might want to check into this..

#346 Post by keyboard »

Well.....After hopping onto tharpup 6.1 I have been noticing this for quite a while now, I thought this was some kind of fluke or something but after careful observation, I noticed this happens happens always , now I don't usually use Microsoft windows on my own laptop/desktop. But in office I have those in many of the desktops, the thing is when ever I boot up from tharpup 6.1 in laptop from my flash drive, after using and shut down, whenever I plug it in any of the desktops having microsoft windows it always shows that there are some file system errors or disk errors. I have tried it multiple times and on different version of windows.

I have tried this with combination of different puppy distros as well, this is only happens in tahrpup 6.1

I haven't dug any technical details about this yet. I would when I would get some time for myself. Thought of informing this first so anyone from the community could look up into it if they want. (images attached).
Attachments
chkdsk-fix-file-system-errors.gif
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times
img_5321ddc4b9a3c.png
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times

live

#347 Post by live »

@666philb

A boot issue:

When I boot from an USB key everything OK

When I boot from an USB adapter for SD CARD and on the SD CARD I put the iso, the boot stops at:
<c17a3a88>
Kernel offset....

rcrsn51

#348 Post by rcrsn51 »

live wrote:When I boot from an USB adapter for SD CARD and on the SD CARD I put the iso, the boot stops at:
<c17a3a88>
Kernel offset....
If it's an older adapter and a high-speed SD card, you may have problems reading it.

live

#349 Post by live »

Sorry,

Solved after reformating the SD card.

So used to see Puppy running smoothly :)

Leon

Re: You might want to check into this..

#350 Post by Leon »

keyboard wrote:Well.....After hopping onto tharpup 6.1 I have been noticing this for quite a while now, I thought this was some kind of fluke or something but after careful observation, I noticed this happens happens always , now I don't usually use Microsoft windows on my own laptop/desktop. But in office I have those in many of the desktops, the thing is when ever I boot up from tharpup 6.1 in laptop from my flash drive, after using and shut down, whenever I plug it in any of the desktops having microsoft windows it always shows that there are some file system errors or disk errors. I have tried it multiple times and on different version of windows.

I have tried this with combination of different puppy distros as well, this is only happens in tahrpup 6.1

I haven't dug any technical details about this yet. I would when I would get some time for myself. Thought of informing this first so anyone from the community could look up into it if they want. (images attached).
I noticed the same problem.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 144#823144

keyboard

Re:Re: You might want to check into this..

#351 Post by keyboard »

Leon wrote:
keyboard wrote:Well.....After hopping onto tharpup 6.1 I have been noticing this for quite a while now, I thought this was some kind of fluke or something but after careful observation, I noticed this happens happens always , now I don't usually use Microsoft windows on my own laptop/desktop. But in office I have those in many of the desktops, the thing is when ever I boot up from tharpup 6.1 in laptop from my flash drive, after using and shut down, whenever I plug it in any of the desktops having microsoft windows it always shows that there are some file system errors or disk errors. I have tried it multiple times and on different version of windows.

I noticed the same problem.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 144#823144
okay... so i dug around a bit , sorry I was a bit preoccupied with my eye surgery, possible reasons of this problem are two, first that during shutdown the drive isn't unmounted and the second reason is for ntfs specifically.

It is well known that Microsoft windows chkdsk is the most through tool for checking ntfs partitions , now I have had this issue that chkdsk found errors after I had ran fsck (ntfs-3g) , and only whenever I ran fsck over ntfs partitions containing microsoft windows os , chkdsk found errors.

I don't have the faintest idea yet why this happens, but it happens on some ntfs drives(newer drives with latest windows).

As for the first reason, the error would most likely be in the file "etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown" bash script. I had a bit of time to read that, and found that there attempts made to not to unmount ntfs partitions before it was supposed to then there were attempts made to finally unmount ntfs partitions when they were supposed too.. but with all honesty it didn't seemed hard coded.

Hope this insight will help in solving this bug...

drblock2

VirtualBox

#352 Post by drblock2 »

I have not succeeded in running Windows XP in VirtualBox 4.3.18 in either of the 32bit versions of tahrpup 6.0.1 (PAE or non-PAE).

This is surprising as VirtualBox 4.3.18 works perfectly in tahr 6.0 PAE. I have tried running VBox both with my save file from tahr 6.0 and a newly created save file - neither works.

The error is always the same:

With the devx and kernel-sources loaded, VBox compiles successfully. When attempting to launch Windows XP, I get an error message: Kernel driver not installed.

The suggested remedy, running vboxdrv setup fails with an error message:

sh /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)
root# dmesg | tail -n10
vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol sched_setscheduler
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol sched_setscheduler (err -22)
vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol wake_up_process
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol wake_up_process (err -22)
vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol preempt_notifier_register
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol preempt_notifier_register (err -22)
I did notice a discrepancy between the id-identifiers of the puppy_tahr_6.0.1.sfs and the zdrv_tahr_6.0.1.sfs. I was able to correct this, but it did not solve the problem.

Otherwise, puppy_tahr_6.0.1 is sleek, beautiful and works just fine with all the other applications I tested.

I would appreciate any hints toward solving the problem.
Attachments
vboxerror.png
(18.06 KiB) Downloaded 1015 times

Leon

Re:Re: You might want to check into this..

#353 Post by Leon »

keyboard wrote:As for the first reason, the error would most likely be in the file "etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown" bash script. I had a bit of time to read that, and found that there attempts made to not to unmount ntfs partitions before it was supposed to then there were attempts made to finally unmount ntfs partitions when they were supposed too.. but with all honesty it didn't seemed hard coded.

Hope this insight will help in solving this bug...
Thank you for the informations.

I'll look at etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and compare it with some previous version that works properly.

bigpup

#354 Post by bigpup »

A problem with how Quickpet downloads.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97440
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

Re: VirtualBox

#355 Post by 666philb »

drblock2 wrote:I have not succeeded in running Windows XP in VirtualBox 4.3.18 in either of the 32bit versions of tahrpup 6.0.1 (PAE or non-PAE).

I would appreciate any hints toward solving the problem.
tahrpup 6.0.1 has an updated 3.14.20 kernel so you'll need the newer kernel sources http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... ages-tahr/ they are the ones that say update

drblock2

VirtualBox [Solved]

#356 Post by drblock2 »

@666philb

Thanks for your quick response and the link to the new kernels.

I was aware of the problem, but I guess, I was confused about where to find the new kernels. I looked around and found /puppy-tahr/kernels, which seemed reasonable, and installed kernel-3.14.20_PAE_update.tar.xz. I thought this was what was meant by updating the kernel.

In any case, I downloaded kernel-3.14.20_PAE_update.sfs, loaded it and ran vbox drive setup. VirtualBox compiled and ran my Windows XP without problems.

Cadejo

Dell M10 Odd issue

#357 Post by Cadejo »

Team,

Trying to get this dell M10 rolling. It boots fine off of CD, but when I do a full install, it makes it to confirm the X Org settings, shows the X org confirmation window, with the "click here" and then when it tries to load the desktop it just hangs...

I cannot switch between separate ttys, ctrl, alt, back, space, del, nothing responds. I have to power it off. The odd part is that when I hit the power button, it shows the "puppy is powering off" text... Lol. Need to call in a friend on this one. Let me know.

bigpup

#358 Post by bigpup »

Cadejo,

First thing to do is delete the install and start over with a fresh new one.
Installs do go wrong sometimes.

Are you using Grub4dos as the bootloader?
What format is the partition you are putting the full install on?
Did you delete everything on the partition or better yet, do a reformat, before doing the full install?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#359 Post by 666philb »

hi Cadejo,

so tahrpup is booting up fine off the CD straight to desktop?
does the screen change resolution at 'loading kernel modules'?

the kernel should pick the correct driver & screen resolution, xorgwizard is a problem in tahrpup and is only useful in some circumstances. i'ld be intrested to know if a frugal install works for you.

666philb

#360 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Cadejo,

First thing to do is delete the install and start over with a fresh new one.
Installs do go wrong sometimes.

Are you using Grub4dos as the bootloader?
What format is the partition you are putting the full install on?
Did you delete everything on the partition or better yet, do a reformat, before doing the full install?
beat me to it :D