Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 20 Sep 2018, 09:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 24 of 56 [830 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
keyboard

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 08:13    Post subject: You might want to check into this..
Subject description: File system errors after shutdown..

Well.....After hopping onto tharpup 6.1 I have been noticing this for quite a while now, I thought this was some kind of fluke or something but after careful observation, I noticed this happens happens always , now I don't usually use Microsoft windows on my own laptop/desktop. But in office I have those in many of the desktops, the thing is when ever I boot up from tharpup 6.1 in laptop from my flash drive, after using and shut down, whenever I plug it in any of the desktops having microsoft windows it always shows that there are some file system errors or disk errors. I have tried it multiple times and on different version of windows.

I have tried this with combination of different puppy distros as well, this is only happens in tahrpup 6.1

I haven't dug any technical details about this yet. I would when I would get some time for myself. Thought of informing this first so anyone from the community could look up into it if they want. (images attached).
chkdsk-fix-file-system-errors.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   3.79 KB
 Viewed   967 Time(s)

chkdsk-fix-file-system-errors.gif

img_5321ddc4b9a3c.png
 Description   
 Filesize   20.46 KB
 Viewed   1007 Time(s)

img_5321ddc4b9a3c.png

live

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 11:11    Post subject:  

@666philb

A boot issue:

When I boot from an USB key everything OK

When I boot from an USB adapter for SD CARD and on the SD CARD I put the iso, the boot stops at:
<c17a3a88>
Kernel offset....
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:16    Post subject:  

live wrote:
When I boot from an USB adapter for SD CARD and on the SD CARD I put the iso, the boot stops at:
<c17a3a88>
Kernel offset....

If it's an older adapter and a high-speed SD card, you may have problems reading it.
live

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2015, 12:20    Post subject:  

Sorry,

Solved after reformating the SD card.

So used to see Puppy running smoothly Smile
Leon

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2015, 07:04    Post subject: Re: You might want to check into this..

keyboard wrote:
Well.....After hopping onto tharpup 6.1 I have been noticing this for quite a while now, I thought this was some kind of fluke or something but after careful observation, I noticed this happens happens always , now I don't usually use Microsoft windows on my own laptop/desktop. But in office I have those in many of the desktops, the thing is when ever I boot up from tharpup 6.1 in laptop from my flash drive, after using and shut down, whenever I plug it in any of the desktops having microsoft windows it always shows that there are some file system errors or disk errors. I have tried it multiple times and on different version of windows.

I have tried this with combination of different puppy distros as well, this is only happens in tahrpup 6.1

I haven't dug any technical details about this yet. I would when I would get some time for myself. Thought of informing this first so anyone from the community could look up into it if they want. (images attached).

I noticed the same problem.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=823144#823144
keyboard

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2015, 05:51    Post subject: Re:Re: You might want to check into this..

Leon wrote:
keyboard wrote:

I noticed the same problem.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=823144#823144

okay... so i dug around a bit , sorry I was a bit preoccupied with my eye surgery, possible reasons of this problem are two, first that during shutdown the drive isn't unmounted and the second reason is for ntfs specifically.

It is well known that Microsoft windows chkdsk is the most through tool for checking ntfs partitions , now I have had this issue that chkdsk found errors after I had ran fsck (ntfs-3g) , and only whenever I ran fsck over ntfs partitions containing microsoft windows os , chkdsk found errors.

I don't have the faintest idea yet why this happens, but it happens on some ntfs drives(newer drives with latest windows).

As for the first reason, the error would most likely be in the file "etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown" bash script. I had a bit of time to read that, and found that there attempts made to not to unmount ntfs partitions before it was supposed to then there were attempts made to finally unmount ntfs partitions when they were supposed too.. but with all honesty it didn't seemed hard coded.

Hope this insight will help in solving this bug...
drblock2

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:10    Post subject: VirtualBox
Subject description: Can't get VirtualBox to run XP in tahrpup 601

I have not succeeded in running Windows XP in VirtualBox 4.3.18 in either of the 32bit versions of tahrpup 6.0.1 (PAE or non-PAE).

This is surprising as VirtualBox 4.3.18 works perfectly in tahr 6.0 PAE. I have tried running VBox both with my save file from tahr 6.0 and a newly created save file - neither works.

The error is always the same:

With the devx and kernel-sources loaded, VBox compiles successfully. When attempting to launch Windows XP, I get an error message: Kernel driver not installed.

The suggested remedy, running vboxdrv setup fails with an error message:
Code:
sh /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)
root# dmesg | tail -n10
vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol sched_setscheduler
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol sched_setscheduler (err -22)
vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol wake_up_process
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol wake_up_process (err -22)
vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol preempt_notifier_register
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol preempt_notifier_register (err -22)

I did notice a discrepancy between the id-identifiers of the puppy_tahr_6.0.1.sfs and the zdrv_tahr_6.0.1.sfs. I was able to correct this, but it did not solve the problem.

Otherwise, puppy_tahr_6.0.1 is sleek, beautiful and works just fine with all the other applications I tested.

I would appreciate any hints toward solving the problem.
vboxerror.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.06 KB
 Viewed   917 Time(s)

vboxerror.png

Leon

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan 2015, 10:29    Post subject: Re:Re: You might want to check into this..

keyboard wrote:
As for the first reason, the error would most likely be in the file "etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown" bash script. I had a bit of time to read that, and found that there attempts made to not to unmount ntfs partitions before it was supposed to then there were attempts made to finally unmount ntfs partitions when they were supposed too.. but with all honesty it didn't seemed hard coded.

Hope this insight will help in solving this bug...

Thank you for the informations.

I'll look at etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and compare it with some previous version that works properly.
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan 2015, 03:58    Post subject:  

A problem with how Quickpet downloads.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97440

666philb

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan 2015, 06:04    Post subject: Re: VirtualBox
Subject description: Can't get VirtualBox to run XP in tahrpup 601

drblock2 wrote:
I have not succeeded in running Windows XP in VirtualBox 4.3.18 in either of the 32bit versions of tahrpup 6.0.1 (PAE or non-PAE).

I would appreciate any hints toward solving the problem.

tahrpup 6.0.1 has an updated 3.14.20 kernel so you'll need the newer kernel sources http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/ they are the ones that say update

drblock2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:50    Post subject: VirtualBox [Solved]  

@666philb

Thanks for your quick response and the link to the new kernels.

I was aware of the problem, but I guess, I was confused about where to find the new kernels. I looked around and found /puppy-tahr/kernels, which seemed reasonable, and installed kernel-3.14.20_PAE_update.tar.xz. I thought this was what was meant by updating the kernel.

In any case, I downloaded kernel-3.14.20_PAE_update.sfs, loaded it and ran vbox drive setup. VirtualBox compiled and ran my Windows XP without problems.
Cadejo

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 00:18    Post subject: Dell M10 Odd issue  

Team,

Trying to get this dell M10 rolling. It boots fine off of CD, but when I do a full install, it makes it to confirm the X Org settings, shows the X org confirmation window, with the "click here" and then when it tries to load the desktop it just hangs...

I cannot switch between separate ttys, ctrl, alt, back, space, del, nothing responds. I have to power it off. The odd part is that when I hit the power button, it shows the "puppy is powering off" text... Lol. Need to call in a friend on this one. Let me know.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 04:30    Post subject:  

Cadejo,

First thing to do is delete the install and start over with a fresh new one.
Installs do go wrong sometimes.

Are you using Grub4dos as the bootloader?
What format is the partition you are putting the full install on?
Did you delete everything on the partition or better yet, do a reformat, before doing the full install?

666philb

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 04:32    Post subject:  

hi Cadejo,

so tahrpup is booting up fine off the CD straight to desktop?
does the screen change resolution at 'loading kernel modules'?

the kernel should pick the correct driver & screen resolution, xorgwizard is a problem in tahrpup and is only useful in some circumstances. i'ld be intrested to know if a frugal install works for you.

666philb

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 04:33    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Cadejo,

First thing to do is delete the install and start over with a fresh new one.
Installs do go wrong sometimes.

Are you using Grub4dos as the bootloader?
What format is the partition you are putting the full install on?
Did you delete everything on the partition or better yet, do a reformat, before doing the full install?

beat me to it Very Happy

Page 24 of 56 [830 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: