Mirrors and the like. How to protect your Puppy information

For discussions about security.
gcmartin

Mirrors and the like. How to protect your Puppy information

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This is an informational post. It is not to be viewed as a directive, MERELY it is to be view as awareness. Use this information to your advantage and knowledge. (I take no sides of whether you find this helpful or not)

This is a SECURITY post because it has value in protecting information should a link become unavailable. This addresses those times when you cannot reach information on one mirror and must go to another.

The message
I have just found that if anyone of us post ANYTHING using our Google ID, should one Google site vanish for ANY REASON your request is directed to a site where you information resides.

Your Google ID provides you massive amounts of storage, here

Why is this important
@Ally has for years been providing a valuable service to this forum community where he routinely searches and backs up distro, SFSs, and PETs made available to the community for use.

But, for those members who make their offerings available via your Google ID, this is unnecessary because on your behalf, Google automatically mirror your distros, SFSs, or PETs you upload to your ID for community use.

Thus, with this subtle ability, unknown to most members, you have protection so that there is 24X7 access with NO DOWNTIME should you ever want to use, access, replace, or delete anything you save and provide to this forum community's members.

This is NOT an encouragement, nor should it be viewed as an endorsement.

But, should you find value in using your Google ID knowing that you have mirroring protecting access to what you would share, then this knowledge should be useful to you.

And for @Ally, when he/she finds that the developer has posted on Google, a mere need is to link to it saving any need to continually expand space for PUPPY mirror needs.

Again, this is NOT being posted for anyone to "like" the message. It is posted as information that some might find valuable in what they would do for their benefit or for any community's benefit.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 31 Jan 2015, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

Ally is a guy? confused is it a unisex nickname? We have a Ally short for Allison (girl) in our family?

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

Does this also mean that if you deliberately delete something because there is an error in it, it will still be available??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Its your information. When you delete it, it goes away. If we screw it up, there is no undelete mechanism, unless of course, you have a "trash can folder" on your ID. And, as I understand it, you delete all replication copies as well.

Its your content. NOT THEIRS.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

I meant this bit:
this is unnecessary because on your behalf, Google automatically mirror your distros, SFSs, or PETs you upload to your ID for community use.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate if you like and suggesting that we also need to know that the mirrors reflect the true current situation.

I have been the very expensive victim of a computer operator trying to be helpful and using a back up machine as well that hadn't been updated in the middle of the night. He was trying to make up for lost time by running the two in parallel, but it meant that 25,000 customer letters went out with silly test data on them.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett