Trouble Installing Epson Workforce 545

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
windeguy

Trouble Installing Epson Workforce 545

#1 Post by windeguy »

I have searched through this forum for advice on how to install an Epson Workforce 545. It is a wireless printer that is not discovered by CUPS.

I have tried the various downloads, Guteneprint, from the EPSON site and tried to manually install the printer using CUPS, but nothing has worked.

Any way to get the printer detected? That seems to be the first problem to overcome. I set the printer to have a static IP address and the printer name is EPSON61B943. It is on line when I try to use CUPS to find it. I can print to it wirelessly from other computers (UBUNTU based).

Here is some information on my system:
-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.14.12-rt9 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Aug 12 22:31:08 MDT 2014
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Distribution : Studio 13.37 - v2
-Current Session-
Computer Name : leetV2
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)

rcrsn51

Re: Trouble Installing Epson Workforce 545

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

windeguy wrote:I have searched through this forum for advice on how to install an Epson Workforce 545.
Have you read "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy" at the top of this section? It has a link to an Epson printer driver that supports your Workforce 545.
It is a wireless printer that is not discovered by CUPS.
The HowTo also has suggestions for dealing with this situation. Read "Things to Know". Are you running a firewall?

What Puppy version is this? If it's not one of the standard releases, I cannot comment on its printing capabilities.

windeguy

Re: Trouble Installing Epson Workforce 545

#3 Post by windeguy »

rcrsn51 wrote:
windeguy wrote:I have searched through this forum for advice on how to install an Epson Workforce 545.
Have you read "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy" at the top of this section? It has a link to an Epson printer driver that supports your Workforce 545.

Yes I have read that. And I have found the driver, downloaded and installed the ".deb" package from this site without success:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 33b413343b
It is a wireless printer that is not discovered by CUPS.
The HowTo also has suggestions for dealing with this situation. Read "Things to Know". Are you running a firewall?

Firewall is off.

I will now try to look at "Things to Know".

What Puppy version is this? If it's not one of the standard releases, I cannot comment on its printer situation.
cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS shows:

#Prefix for some filenames: exs: slackosave.2fs, slacko-5.7.0.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='leet'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='14.0'
#the kernel pet package used:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='linux_kernel-3.14.12-v2.pet'
DISTRO_TARGETARCH='x86'
DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'
#32-byte alpha-numeric ID-string appended to vmlinuz, puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs, zdrv_slacko_5.7.0.sfs and devx.sfs:
DISTRO_IDSTRING='s140309082357ZZZZ5.7.0XXXXXXXXXX'
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='v2.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_1337.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='Aug 2014'

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is this a standard Slacko 5.7 or a spin-off?

windeguy

#5 Post by windeguy »

I am not able to find the "Things to Know" to which you referred. Where is it exactly?

windeguy

#6 Post by windeguy »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Is this a standard Slacko 5.7 or a spin-off?
I suspect it is a spin-off, but I have no way to know that. The overall name is Studio 1337 Rev 2.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

windeguy wrote:I suspect it is a spin-off, but I have no way to know that. The overall name is Studio 1337 Rev 2.
It's a spin-off. I can only comment on Puppy versions that I have tested myself and Studio 1317 is not one of them.

"Things to Know" is the first section of "How to Install your Printer".

I would recommend that you get a standard recent Puppy and test your printer with it.

Bird Dog

Epson Workforce 545

#8 Post by Bird Dog »

If you're running a wireless router and your Epson Workforce has an ethernet port and you can run a cat 5 cable to the printer you will get a lot more range from the wireless router than you will get from the printer. It should be easier to set up because on mine you can look at the printers network settings on the printers lcd panel and just put that information into cups with lpd://xxx.xxx.x.xPassthru the x's being the network settings of the printer.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

windeguy

Re: Epson Workforce 545

#9 Post by windeguy »

Bird Dog wrote:If you're running a wireless router and your Epson Workforce has an ethernet port and you can run a cat 5 cable to the printer you will get a lot more range from the wireless router than you will get from the printer. It should be easier to set up because on mine you can look at the printers network settings on the printers lcd panel and just put that information into cups with lpd://xxx.xxx.x.xPassthru the x's being the network settings of the printer.

Thanks
Bird Dog
The laptop and printer are in the same room. I just set up an Android tablet to print from it. No issues with WiFi Strength, but I appreciate the point you make.

I did try the ldp approach including the one you just mentioned. No luck on that. I think the correct format is

lpd://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:515/PASSTHRU

But that did not work either.
Last edited by windeguy on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 00:35, edited 2 times in total.

windeguy

#10 Post by windeguy »

rcrsn51 wrote:
windeguy wrote:I suspect it is a spin-off, but I have no way to know that. The overall name is Studio 1337 Rev 2.
It's a spin-off. I can only comment on Puppy versions that I have tested myself and Studio 1317 is not one of them.

"Things to Know" is the first section of "How to Install your Printer".

I would recommend that you get a standard recent Puppy and test your printer with it.
OK. Yes I did read through and try to do what was recommended in my situation in Things to Know.

I am getting a new hard drive. At that time I will check a "standard" install and see what might differ from what is installed in 1337. The reason that 1337 is of interest to me is that it has a real time kernel which is useful for music applications that I run.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is a CUPS update for Studio here.