PCManFM 1.2.3 compiled on Tahrpup 6.0.3

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
gyro

PCManFM 1.2.3 compiled on Tahrpup 6.0.3

#1 Post by gyro »

Edit 19 Sep 2015:
New .sfs has been uploaded, http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... .2.3-6.sfs(832K).
It's been re-compiled in Tahrpup 6.0.3 and properly stripped, so it's smaller. Only binary is pcmanfm.
Have also uploaded the same thing as a .pet http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... -1.2.3.pet(1.3M)

Edit 19 April 2015:
Added pet to re-establish ROX theme for PCManFm and gtk file dialogs. http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... me-0.1.pet.

Edit 12 April 2015:
Update sfs to pcmanfm-1.2.3-5.sfs

Edit 8 Feb 2015:

This project has become; To provide PCManFM on Tahrpup 6, and have it 'fit-in' with a Rox desktop.
I have not tried to make desktop menus available in PCManFM. With Rox, just right click any space on the desktop.
I have not tried to make partitions available as bookmarks. Instead there is a .pet to enable the Puppy desktop partitions icons to open the dierctory in PCManFM.
In a similar vein, there is a .pet so that an auto-mount, e.g. when a .iso file is clicked, opens the directory in PCManFM.
Both these .pet's will only use PCManFM if they find a PCManFM icon on the desktop.

Install as ordinary sfs:
1) Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... fm-0.1.pet(4K) and install. It replaces ".menu" files that already exist in the puppy.sfs.
2) Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... .2.3-6.sfs(832K) and move to Tahrpup's frugal install directory.
3) Load with SFS-Load.

Install as adrv sfs:
1) Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... .2.3-6.sfs(832K) and move to Tahrpup's frugal install directory.
2) Rename as "adrv_tahr_6.0.sfs", "adrv_tahr_6.0.1.sfs" or "adrv_tahr_6.0.2.sfs" as appropriate.
3) Reboot.

Install optional use with desktop icons:
1) Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... fm-0.1.pet(7K) and install.
2) Refresh existing icons with "Desktop"->"Desktop drive icons manager".
3) Drag "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop" to desktop, if not already there.

Install optional use with auto-mount:
1) Download http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/tah ... fm-0.2.pet(4K) and install.
2) Drag "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop" to desktop, if not already there.

------------

Here is an sfs of the current 'PCManFM' compiled on Tahrpup 6.
It includes a compiled 'libfm-1.2.3' and 'menu-cache' from ubuntu via PPM.
It should run without any extra downloads. Simply install with SFS-Load.
There should be a '.desktop' file in '/usr/share/applications', and a menu entry in 'Filesystem'.
This is an sfs so it's contents will not override anything.

To enhance the integration of 'PCManFM' into Tahrpup, here is a pet containing a patched 'dirive_all'.
After installing the pet, and refreshing the desktop drive icons, clicking on a partition icon will open it in 'ROX-Filer' as usual. But if you drag the 'pcmanfm.desktop' file to the desktop, clicking on a partition icon will open it with 'PcmanFm'.
This is a pet so the contents will override the 'drive_all' in 'puppy_tahr_6.0.1.sfs'.

Further enhancement to integration; a pet that contains a patched version of 'filemnt'. This opens the root directory of the mounted file system in 'PCManFM' if it is on the desktop.

Edit: updated sfs file, see 'fix "Open with"' post.
The sfs also works Ok if renamed to be an 'adrv'.

Limitations of this implementation:
1) Partitions do not appear in left pane, hence the patched "drive_all".
2) No access to the application menus.
3) No "Installed Applications" in "Open With", but "Custom Command Line" works. (The ".desktop" files in "/root/.local/share/applications" can have "Icon=" lines added to make the right-click menu prettier.)
So, this is a no-frills file manager, but as such it works fine for me.
And it has no "running as root" nag.

Edit: 3) has been fixed with help from peebee, see later post.
sfs file has been updated.

Edit: sfs file updated to "pcmanfm-1.2.3-3.sfs"
Fixes icons in "Open With..." icons when loaded as ordinary sfs.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:52, edited 19 times in total.

gyro

updated pcmanfm-1.2.3.sfs

#2 Post by gyro »

Just uploaded an updated pcmanfm-1.2.3.sfs to replace the original. The url for downloading is the same.
The only fix is to pcmanfm to store it's default config in a place compatible with libfm.
So just a tidy. No change in functionality. No change that would affect testing.
gyro

gyro

Update - fix icons

#3 Post by gyro »

Replaced pcmanfm.1.2.3.sfs with an updated one.
Improved pcmanfm's ability to find icons by adding some symbolic links, and some 24x24 icons.
gyro

gyro

Update - fix "Open with"

#4 Post by gyro »

Uploaded new version of sfs as "pcmanm-1.2.3-1.sfs".

Most important change is that "Open with" now works.
Also moved it to "/usr" instead of "/usr/local".
And updated a couple of icons.

Added 'filemnt_pcmanfm-01.pet' so that clicking on .iso and .sfs files results in them being opened in 'PcmanFM' rather than 'ROX-Filer', if there is a 'PcmanFM' icon on the desktop.

For download url's please see the first post.

gyro

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

Added some "Limitations of this implementation:" comments to the first post.
gyro

peebee

#6 Post by peebee »

gyro wrote:Added some "Limitations of this implementation:" comments to the first post.
gyro
Hi gyro

Been following your posts - I also like PcManFM....

You would need to add menu-cache to get applications working

To get partitions in the panel you need pup-volume-monitor + gvfs + a patched libgio

You would also need these other components to get things like the trash can and network access (ftp) working.....

I can help with all these things (as I've already done them for LxPupTahr) if you want to take this further.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gyro

#7 Post by gyro »

peebee wrote:Hi gyro

Been following your posts - I also like PcManFM....

You would need to add menu-cache to get applications working

To get partitions in the panel you need pup-volume-monitor + gvfs + a patched libgio

You would also need these other components to get things like the trash can and network access (ftp) working.....

I can help with all these things (as I've already done them for LxPupTahr) if you want to take this further.

Cheers
peebee
Thanks, I appreciate your offer, and if I were a PCManFM fan trying to port it to Tahrpup, I would probably take you up on it.
But, I'm new to PCManFM, so the missing bits don't worry me, I just wanted to have an alternative to ROX-Filer. And I'm quite happy with the result I've got, given the effort I've expended.
So, for the immediate future, I thankfully decline your offer.

But I do have something to offer you. A patch to PCManFM to remove the "running as root" nag, if your are interested?

PS: I'm beginning to like PCManFM.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#8 Post by gyro »

peebee wrote:You would need to add menu-cache to get applications working
On second thought, I would like to try and get "Open With"->"Installed Applications" to work.
I already have "menu-cache" included. But no "Installed Applications". If it's not there, PCManFM exits when "Open With" is clicked on.
Do I have to create an "/etc/xdg/menus/puppy-applications.menu"?
If this could work, can it relate to the existing "/etc/xdg/menus/puppy-*.menu" files?

gyro

peebee

#9 Post by peebee »

gyro wrote:I would like to try and get "Open With"->"Installed Applications" to work.

A patch to PCManFM to remove the "running as root" nag, if your are interested?

gyro
Hi gyro

I'll try to find the time to try your version of pcmanfm and see what it needs from LxPupTahr to make "Open With" to work.....

I don't get that nag in LxPup so maybe there is a configuration option to disable it??

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gyro

#10 Post by gyro »

peebee wrote:I'll try to find the time to try your version of pcmanfm and see what it needs from LxPupTahr to make "Open With" to work.....
To test it, you only need to load the ".sfs" file with Sfs-Load. There should be a menu entry under 'Filesystem'.
Any help would be appreciated.
Is there any good doco on how to setup an "lxde-applications.menu" file?
I tried setting the prefix to "puppy-", but that didn't make any difference.
peebee wrote:I don't get that nag in LxPup so maybe there is a configuration option to disable it??
It's just a small yellow warning triangle on the left end of the tool bar. Perhaps "nag" is too strong a word.
I could not find any configuration option to disable it, unlike SpaceFM.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#11 Post by peebee »

gyro wrote:It's just a small yellow warning triangle on the left end of the tool bar
gyro
OK - in my case a small red exclamation symbol - not a nag that bothers me as its so small and gives a useful prompt if you hover over it but otherwise doesn't get in the way at all....

peebee

#12 Post by peebee »

Hi gyro

The attached pet activates the Open With system.....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture27712.png
(117.19 KiB) Downloaded 2290 times
lxde_puppy_menu-1.pet
(60.41 KiB) Downloaded 700 times

gyro

#13 Post by gyro »

peebee wrote:The attached pet activates the Open With system.....
Thankyou very much.
gyro

gyro

Update to pcmanfm-1.2.3-2.sfs

#14 Post by gyro »

@peebee,
Thanks for your code, while I didn't include it directly, it cleared up a lot of things and saved me a lot of time.

Finally, PCManFM for Tahrpup 6 that supports "Open With..." in a reasonable way.
If you click on "Open With...", the "Installed Applications" pane now contains a list of top level menu items that correspond to the Rox desktop menu, but in alphabetical order. The applications under each item should correspond with the desktop menu.
Using "Installed Applications" to extend the right-click menu for more mime types, is much much smoother than "Custom Command Line".

Note: If the "Installed Applications" pane doesn't contain anything, first try deleting any files in "/root/.cache/menus/" and reboot.

Note2: I did not include the "Fun" sub-menu.

The sfs file has been updated to "pcmanfm-1.2.3-2.sfs", see first post for download.
The pet files are unaffected by this change.

gyro

gyro

Update to pcmanfm-1.2.3-3.sfs

#15 Post by gyro »

A cosmetic fix for those who load it as an ordinary sfs file.
Top level icons will now appear in the "Open With"->"Installed Applications" panel.

If you load the sfs as an ordinary sfs, then it might be a good idea to download this new version.

The previous method I used to make these icons available depended on replacing files in the puppy.sfs. So they worked as "adrv" but not as an ordinary sfs.
The new method depends on adding some symlinks, so works in both situations.

Note: If the "Installed Applications" pane doesn't contain anything, or doesn't show any top level icons, first try deleting any files in "/root/.cache/menus/" and reboot.

The sfs file has been updated to "pcmanfm-1.2.3-3.sfs", see first post for download.
The pet files are unaffected by this change.

gyro

gyro

Update to pcmanfm-1.2.3-4.sfs

#16 Post by gyro »

Another cosmetic fix to the "Installed Applications" pane.

It consists of a new sfs, "pcmanfm-1.2.3-4.sfs".
Also there is a new pet "menus_pcmanfm-0.1.pet". This contains modified versions of the ".menu" files that already exist in the puppy.sfs and hence are not seen if the sfs is loaded as a normal extra sfs.

For downloads see the first post.

The top level items are in the same order as the Rox desktop menu, and they use the same icons.
Expanding a top level item produces an alphabetic list of the same applications as appear in the corresponding Rox desktop menu.

It uses the "/etc/xdg/puppy-*.menu" files, unfortunately I had to tweak them a bit so they did what I wanted in PCManFM, but the Rox desktop menus remained unchanged.

gyro
Attachments
installedAppsPanel.png
view of "Installed Applications" panel under "Open With..."
(31.41 KiB) Downloaded 993 times

gyro

Update - filemnt_pcmanfm-0.2.pet

#17 Post by gyro »

Filemnt pet has been updated to filemnt_pcmanfm-0.2.pet.

1) Based on "filemnt" from Tahrpup 6.0.2
2) Seems to work better when using Rox-filer.

Download url in first post has been updated.

gyro

gyro

Icons go fuzzy and wrong

#18 Post by gyro »

If the icons in PCManFM go all fuzzy and wrong, check the contents of the file "/root/.gtkrc.mine", it should contain the line:

Code: Select all

gtk-icon-theme-name="ROX"
gyro

gyro

Update to pcmanfm-1.2.3-5.sfs

#19 Post by gyro »

The new version fixes a problem with displaying the icons for mime types when small icons were being displayed.
Only the top left hand corner of the the large icon was displayed, now the icon is shown scaled down so the whole icon shows.

See first post for download.

gyro

gyro

Re-establish ROX theme for PCManFM and gtk dialogs

#20 Post by gyro »

This is mostly a precaution.
The files setting-up the ROX theme for PCManFM and gtk file dialogs could be disturbed by official fixes to Tahrpup 6. I have added a pet to re-establish the files as required by PCManFM.

See first post for download.

gyro