Puppy 2.12 Application don't work

Booting, installing, newbie
olddave

Puppy 2.12 Application don't work

#1 Post by olddave »

Just started with Puppy linux. Made the start up disk and loaded the os okay. Most of the applications don't work. What is going on? Tried ABI word and the app loader. The DVD play works and I can access/burn cds. Did not orignally get zdrv with the .iso. Dowloaded it and now what do I do with it?

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, you didn't really describe what happened yet. :wink:
If it doesn't pop up an error message when you try running them, try this:
Open a terminal window (the icon that says "console") and type abiword then hit enter. If it makes an error message, post that.

For the zdrv file, you need to put it on the harddrive at the top of the filetree. If you had Puppy make a pup_save.3fs file to save your session, you can put it in /mnt/home/. If you did a full install, you can put it in /.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

olddave

#3 Post by olddave »

Thanks for the information. When ever you click on the icon nothing happens. The icon discriptions are not ledgeable on the desktop so I am guessing. From the start button the programs still do not launch.

olddave

#4 Post by olddave »

Tried your suggestion and got an error message that reads:
abiword: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0:in
Valid ELF header.
What does all this mean????
BTW thanks again for the help.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

It really sounds like you somehow got a bad copy of the Puppy iso, or maybe your burning program messed up. How and where did you get the Puppy iso, and how did you burn the CD? Give us as much detail as you can remember. :)

PaulBx1

#6 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yes, did you check the md5sum?

BTW, it seems to me it would make more sense to check the md5sum AFTER burning the CD, rather than just after the download, since CD burning can have errors also. I can think of a tedious way to do it (e.g., copying the files from the CD to a directory and making an iso from that, then running md5sum on that iso), but I'm not sure that would yield the correct checksum anyway. Is there something a little more direct? I haven't noticed anything in the md5sum man page.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

You could rip the iso directly:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso
then check the md5sum of that.

I'm not sure if you can do it directly with the cd.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

yes, you can

md5sum /dev/hdc

or whatever device name your cd drive has

this usually works ... there used to be a read-ahead bug that often caused it to fail, but i think that's been fixed ... if padding was added to the burn it can cause the md5sum to be different from the iso

Puppy's burncd2iso has this feature built in

if you are burning from Windows, there is a program that can calculate the md5sum of a cd disc: http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

If these really work, we should ask Barry to change the download page to say this. It obviously makes more sense to check the burned CD than just the download. Might save some support work...

I will try this recipe when 2.13 comes out.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

if you burn an iso in Puppy 212 using burniso2cd, it should ask you if you want to check the burn ... just say yes, and it will check the md5sum of the disc, and compare it to the md5sum of the iso ... so check the md5sum of the iso before you burn it

#v2.10 kirk contributed this...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Good point, GuestToo. :)

Just to make sure I understand, burniso2cd compares the md5 sum calculated from the CD, to the md5 sum calculated locally from the iso that was used to burn it. To insure that the downloaded iso used to burn the CD is good, compare its published md5 sum to the md5 sum computed locally before burning the CD.

PaulBx1

#12 Post by PaulBx1 »

That may work, but I found something that doesn't work: using BurnCDCC (the windows program usually recommended). While I think it does the burn properly, it doesn't do it in a way that gives the right checksum. I just tried it. (Also during the burn i did a read-verify, just to be sure.)

Anyway, seems like doing the md5sum after the download, followed by a burn with a read-verify, should be good enough.

olddave

#13 Post by olddave »

I downloaded Puppy 2.12 from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/. Have done this twice with the same results. Downloaded Puppy 2.10 and it works.
Tried the windows version for check sum md5sum.exe. It gives the error message Not a valid Win32 Application. Don't know how to check with puppy running.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

there are various md5sum progams for Windows ... here's a simple, small one that does not need installing ... MD5 Hash : http://www.whitsoftdev.com/
just unzip it and click it to run it ... or drag the iso file to the md5.exe executable

to calculate the md5sum of an iso file in Puppy, just type:

md5sum /mnt/home/puppy.iso

using the correct name of the file and the correct path to the location of the file, of course

olddave

#15 Post by olddave »

Thanks for all the help. The md5 program worked in windows and both of my copies of Puppy 2.12 were corrupt. I have deleted them and am using 2.10. In fact the modem program works and I am on the internet using Seamonkey.

Gn2

#16 Post by Gn2 »

Vector Linux went all through that topic (checking of a burnt CD to original ISO
NO you cannot readily do so = the contents of the burnt ISO are split up into components , some of which are still compressed, others in plain text.
As was stated - the only practical manner is to copy all known good content pf the burn , create new MD5sum hash .
There IS a way of calculating, subtracting some of burnt content so sums match .

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

the iso file is, by definition, the exact byte for byte image of what will be burned on the cd ... if the iso burns without errors, there will be not one single bit, not one single byte that is different between the iso file and the cd

the md5sum of the iso file should be identical to the md5sum of the cd disc, and it will be if the cd burned without errors

if extra padding bytes were added when the cd was burned, the extra padding bytes might be included in the md5sum of the cd disc, which can cause the md5sum calculation to be wrong, even though the cd burned perfectly without errors

another problem that used to occur, was the read-ahead bug ... the cd driver would read ahead on the cd into a buffer, and send the bytes from the buffer to the md5sum program when it asked for them ... but it would read off the end of the cd, and there would be an io error that would stop the program ... i think that has finally been fixed

also, sometimes the size of the cd is wrong, sometimes only by a couple of bytes ... but that is enough for the md5sum program to read a couple of extra bytes from the cd, which will result in an incorrect md5sum ... even a difference of 1 single bit should cause the md5sum number to be different, that's the whole point of the md5sum

so basically, if the md5sum of the iso matches the md5sum of the cd, you are very sure, almost certain that the cd burned perfectly with not even 1 bit wrong

if the md5sums are different, the cd disc probably did not burn properly ... but it might have burned properly, but some other error caused the md5sum to be wrong ... however, it is probable that the cd has errors on it ... even 1 wrong bit will change the md5sum ... however, even if the disc has some errors, the bad bytes may be unimportant bytes ... it would be difficult to know for sure ... generally, if the md5sum of the iso does not match the md5sum of the disc, it's probably a good idea to assume the cd did not burn properly

there is a way to be sure you read exactly the correct number of bytes from the cd disc, by using dd to read the cd and piping it to the md5sum program ... that prevents problems with padding, for example

there are programs that can check the quality of a cd, like cdck and dvdisaster, both available as dotpups ... they read each sector of the cd disk and check whether the sector had errors or not, by using the checksums stored on the cd

Puppy's burniso2cd program has a built in md5sum check to test for errors after a cd disc is burned

bottom line: an iso is an exact image of the bytes that are burned on a cd disc ... if the cd burned properly, the md5sum of the iso file will be identical to the md5sum of the cd disc, always and without exception

Gn2

#18 Post by Gn2 »

Mirrored > 6de7e4ac9f66ddaaed56924ff2a85ca1 puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Storage :

-K3b-pup_v2.12final_burn-report.txt
puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso.md5.txt
puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

~/puppy $ md5sum *z*
# 6de7e4ac9f66ddaaed56924ff2a85ca1
#puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso

# puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso.md5.txt
#5929122b2b51a54eb303815b801e7c67

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

dd if=/dev/hdd | md5sum
104+0 records in
104+0 records out
53248 bytes (53 kB) copied, 83.5665 seconds, 0.6 kB/s
NOTE >> 7b14f5102141fdad4dacffb566930b9d
the cd burned properly, the md5sum of the iso file
= Of the unburnt image file yes
Content of burnt CD, as per Example -(using the suggested method) no

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

this is not safe ... the size of the data on the disc is often reported incorrectly to dd ... for example, if the disc was burned track-at-once, dd often thinks the data is 2 bytes bigger than is actually is, and 2 extra bytes are included in the md5sum, which will not work ... the md5sum will be wrong:

dd if=/dev/hdd | md5sum

something like this should work:

isoinfo -d -i puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso | grep 'Volume size'
Volume size is: 42517
dd if=/dev/hdc bs=2048 count=42517 | md5sum

or this usually works, depending how the disc was burned ... Puppy's burniso2cd seems to work without problems ... k3b may add padding characters that can change the md5sum, if so, you must use the dd method:

md5sum /dev/hdc

again: if you read the same number of bytes from the disc as are in the iso file, the iso file and the disc should have the same md5sum

Gn2

#20 Post by Gn2 »

K3b output matches mirror but is only the unburnt ISO image check prior to burn .

K3b also has the ability to verify content after burn, generate a full report & offer to save

Yes very good reminder (I have suggested & used isoinfo in some cases to extract more data.) (After some checking - VL - still have old URL link)

As was mentioned B4 in asides .... there is always a solution > just not was the first suggestion was offered.

dd sure is powerful. or powerfully disasterous if any inadvertant syntax error creeps in (all :oops: by itself natch)
Nice to see Puppy included what most do not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Off topic- speaking of POWER >toys are getting all too tempting for pocketbook:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... cture=TYAN

Best regards