Dual floppy drives - Puppy only sees the 5.25" one

Booting, installing, newbie
oldguy

Dual floppy drives - Puppy only sees the 5.25" one

#1 Post by oldguy »

I have a PC I acquired that has a CDROM, zip 100, and dual floppy drives.
The floppy are 5.25 and 3.5. MUT shows the hard drive as hda, the zip as hdb and the floppy as fd0. It only reads/recognizes the 5.25 and not the 3.5 floppy drive. I can put in a 5.25 diskette and it will read it, when I place a 3.5 in the other drive, nothing. The drives are both recognized okay in Windows, so it is not a hardware failure. Any ideas on why it is not recognizing the second floppy. (It is a dual drive, not two separate drives).

White Box
Celeron
Zip 100
3.5/5.25 floppy
CDROM
Puppy 1.08
(running from CD)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Goodness, where did you find a 5.25 diskette? :D

That 5.25" drive might actually be worth something, if it works. The IRS and FBI probably have all their secrets stored on 5.25" diskettes, and no way to read them.

As to your immediate problem, all I can think to suggest is, try disconnecting the 5.25" drive and see what happens.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

That far back, one had to adjust the little jumpers or switches at the back of the drives to make them A and B - it was before the 'twist' in the cable enabled all FDD to be set at the same default. There were a few other tunes needed playing on some drives. The trick is to swap them around, swap cables for a no-twist variety until something works. Alternatively, you might find the original manu's spec. somewhere on the Net?! There were some extra nuances for the dual-porpoise drives like yours, but my memory seems to have missed a vital refresh cycle this last few decades.
PS. Anyone wanting to experiment with 5.25" drives contact me for bulk quotations - buyer collects! Apparently the magnets and stepper motors have some currency amongst hobbyists.

Yaverot

#4 Post by Yaverot »

He probably has one of these:

Like his description says "(It is a dual drive, not two separate drives)", the drive is both a 3.5" & 5.25" so he can't just "disconnect the other drive".

That's why I didn't chime in before, if it was two drives this would be easy.

Flash: 5.25" are easy to find, they're on my shelf beween the 8" floppies and the SyJet disks, there's also one in the box for the original SimCity. ;-)

I'm not sure about the "that far back" line either, this is an end-of-the-line floppy drive. Google search keeps pulling up Epson and Teac as the makers.

=
What happens if you try to mount fd1? What about fd0a & fd0b? That's the best guess I can make for this uncommon piece of hardware.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Yes, indeed. I couldn't remember whether there were two cable connectors, though. And there was something about BIOS settings as I recall. Does the machine it was recovered from still exist? Might be worth looking at its BIOS and cabling?