Installed Apps not being copied back to CD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Albert

Installed Apps not being copied back to CD

#1 Post by Albert »

Firstly, I am a Linux newbie and only created my multi-session Puppy CD today.
I created a 'normal' bootable CD using burncdcc (as recommended) This created my first Puppy installation.
Then from inside Puppy is used the cdrecord command:

cdrecord -multi -data -eject -v speed=4 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso

Worked perfectly and impressed by Puppy.

My problem is that I installed Skype on my Multi-session copy of Puppy.
It worked perfectly straight after install. Then I shut down the system. Puppy said it was copying back to the CD and did create a new directory on the CD. But when I restart PuppyLinux Skype is no longer there.

Actually, no matter what I install it isn't being kept on the reboot.

I'm obviously doing something wrong but have no idea where to start.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Albert.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hmm, interesting, I'll check it out sometime ...there's a lot happening right now.

Albert

#3 Post by Albert »

wow. that's a quick response.

One interesting thing is. I installed monkey webserver from the .pup and it worked perfectly. It was there after I rebooted.

So, it appears to be a things with the PupGet system or something I did wrongly.

I'm going to try again and see what happens. I might just be doing something stupid....

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

It would seem that the shutdown script, /tmp/rc.reboot, has something in it that is preventing files in /root/.usr from getting saved to CD.
(/root/.usr has all files that have been written to /usr, and that's where pupgets will be).

doc

multi session

#5 Post by doc »

tried all recommendations including commands before shutdown. burned cdrecord. k3b etc. makes multiseesiion but wont boot afterwards. tried 3 different cdrom(recorder) no good. any solutions yet?

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#6 Post by nduanetesh »

Albert, looks like Barry found your problem and no doubt it will be fixed in the next version of puppy.

Doc, I think the problem you are describing is addressed here. Why you chose to post about here, in the middle of an unrelated post, I can't figure out.

ND