Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
peebee

Re: Wireless Status

#401 Post by peebee »

SteveM wrote:Is this the right place to ask?...

I'm using Frisbee on LXPUP and it works fine apart from one thing...

When booting up, the initial status of the wireless networking is OFF and I need to click the Frisbee networking control and choose Enable Wireless after which it connects and everything is fine.

Now I'm configuring this machine (Acer Aspire One netbook) for my mother (who is in her late 80s) and she won't cope with having to turn the wireless on manually each time it boots up.

So surely there is some way of booting up with it already enabled?
Hi there

Which flavour of LxPup and what kind of wifi please?

There is a known problem with Precise where some Broadcom wifi is soft blocked on boot.....if this is your problem I can provide the simple fix.

You can check with the command - rfkill list - in a terminal just after bootup.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

SteveM

#402 Post by SteveM »

Re Puppy Version...

uname -a SAYS...

Linux puppypc18698 3.2.33-4g

GRUB says: lxpup 13.01

Re What kind of wireless?

I'm not sure how to answer the question?

Re rfkill list

It reports...

0: phy 0: wlan
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

which would lead one to expect that the wireless networking would be enabled - but it's not. It reports requesting ip address for wlan0 but doesn't succeed until I click the Frisbee icon (which is the networking symbol with a No Entry sign imposed over it) then it seems to automatically take the enable wireless network option. If I go to PupControl Panel and check the settings it says that the wireless network is enabled.

SteveM

#403 Post by SteveM »

This problem has now been resolved...

In the PupControl panel I went to Network Setup and selected the wireless lan device and clicked the wlan0 button and, for reasons unknown to me, it then downloaded and installed a different version of Frisbee after which I ended up with two network control icons at the bottom right.

Rebooted and the old one went away and just left the new one.

Reconfigured my wireless lan profile and everything is fine afterwards...

When I reboot then the wireless lan looks like it's not active, but if I wait a few moments then it turns on and connects.

So many thanks for offering to help.

rerwin

Network_tray-2.7.3 to fix traffic count limit

#404 Post by rerwin »

Prompted by the resolution of the count problem reported and fixed in Bugs thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 219#777219
I have fixed the "2.7" version and added 01micko's menu improvements from "2.7.2".

The attached package adapts itself for installation in all puppies, at least starting with lucid pup. It handles the differences in startup methods as well as the differing locations for dhcpcd hook scripts.

The source tarball now contains the files needed to complete a pet package -- pinstall.sh, puninstall.sh, 99-network_tray and network_tray.desktop, along with instructions for placement.
Richard
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.3-i486.pet
Network_tray fixed for traffic count stopping at 2048 MB
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
network_tray-2.7.3.tar.gz
Source for network_tray
(17.01 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

divisionmd

run from console only

#405 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

- If i dont use "X" and want to run Frissbee from console only - how is this achieved?

- Say i want to start it from sysinit - any clues on how to do this?

Thanks for help,

Best regards,
Johan

rerwin

#406 Post by rerwin »

divisionmd,
Since frisbee is designed to run in a graphical environment, it depends on X being active.

However, once you have used it to set up a connection, maybe its setup would persist across a reboot where you could try the "pfix=nox" boot option. Maybe the connection would be made. But you could not change anything about it without frisbee in an X environment. I have never attempted that, although you might. But it would run into trouble if it needed to issue a graphical message/popup.
Richard

rbrehton

I have wary 5.5

#407 Post by rbrehton »

I have wary 5.5. I was able to install xpupsay, but the frisbee for wary 5.3 won't install.

The download link for Frisbee+xpupsay-beta2-0912.pet version 1 isn't working for me. Is it available now somewhere else?

Or is there a Frisbee that will install in wary 5.5? thanks

peebee

Re: I have wary 5.5

#408 Post by peebee »

rbrehton wrote:I have wary 5.5. I was able to install xpupsay, but the frisbee for wary 5.3 won't install.

The download link for Frisbee+xpupsay-beta2-0912.pet version 1 isn't working for me. Is it available now somewhere else?

Or is there a Frisbee that will install in wary 5.5? thanks
This is a forum issue - all attachments greater than 256kb became unavailable some time ago without notice.

I don't think I have that pet any longer - but if I do locate it I'll post a link here.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rbrehton

#409 Post by rbrehton »

Ok, thanks

peebee

#410 Post by peebee »

You're lucky that I never throw anything away.....

https://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/ ... 2-0912.pet

rbrehton

#411 Post by rbrehton »

peebee wrote:You're lucky that I never throw anything away.....

https://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/ ... 2-0912.pet
I appreciate it very much , thanks.

UPDATE: Installed and worked without a problem, thanks again.

bobc

Would it be possible for Frisbee to work with Slackware?

#412 Post by bobc »

I have used it with Slacko Pup 5.7.0, so I was wondering if I could find a source tarball someplace so I could try running it on my slackware distro?

Let me know if you know, and where I could find it, please?

bobc

nevermind

#413 Post by bobc »

I'm thinking maybe I'm wasting time messing with it and I'd be better off spending the same effort tweaking Slacko Pup 5.7.0 because it already does most things I'm asking for.

Semme

#414 Post by Semme »

Hey Bob, you're aware of this, right?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rerwin

Pgprs updated to version 1.5.1

#415 Post by rerwin »

My reworked version of pgprs-1.5 has a bug that impacts anyone attempting to use it where a username and password are not expected to be included. Earlier versions required all fields to contain something so required dummy entries for username, password and PIN code (gprsuser, gprspassword, 1234) even if they were not valid for the modem.

Version 1.5 avoids the need for those dummy values but incorrectly retains logic to require the username and password. The replacement, 1.5.1, changes that requirement to allow both or neither. If anyone knows of a case where only a username or password is appropriate, please tell me.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#757398
Richard

rerwin

frisbee-1.3.2 uploaded to correct restarting of network

#416 Post by rerwin »

I just now discovered and fixed a typo that prevented the "Restart Networks" and "Restart DHCP" buttons from performing their restarts. Frisbee-1.3.2 is with the earlier 1.3.x frisbees at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#780962

However, the fix can be made manually to versions 1.3 and 1.3.1 by editing the file:

/usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-disconnect

line 5 (changing the "-" to "_") to read:

reset_dhcp&

This does not affect versions of frisbee before 1.3.
Richard

hamoudoudou

Frisbee installed Puppy 4.3.1

#417 Post by hamoudoudou »

How do you remove builtin Pwireless as Frisbee goes well ?
I trashed what i found with Pfind, but it's not a clean way.
Attachments
pwireless.png
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

rerwin

Updated frisbee and dhcpcd packages

#418 Post by rerwin »

I have built new frisbee and dhcp packages for Tahrpup, Precise and Slacko. I have tested wireless only on tahrpup, but verified that the others support ethernet. Although the Precise version appears to run on Tahrpup, the Tahrpup version will not run on Precise nor Slacko.

The main improvement to the frisbee-1.3.3 package is that the user's existing wireless and frisbee setups are retained during installation, thanks to 666philb's calling my attention to that issue. The configuration files, dhcpcd.conf, frisbee.conf and wpa_supplicant.conf, are not replaced if present. Frisbee.conf gets updated, if necessary, to append new statements. Other than the settings issue, the functionality remains the same as in 1.3.2.

The dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 is the current release at this time and includes a wait of up to 3 seconds for a lost carrier (connection) to get re-detected. This occurs for all network managers, not just frisbee. The old "dropwait" value option has been removed in the 1.3 frisbees -- one less variable to attend to.

Besides the puppy-specific "dropwait" versions of the dhcpcd packages, I include an "original" version of dhcpcd without the dropwait patch -- for tahrpup and later, only -- in case a developer prefers to omit the dropwait feature. I also include the source packages, which contain README-* files that explain how to build the pets.

The previously offered workaround for the automatic "hot plug" start up of wpa_supplicant for added USB wifi devices is no longer needed. Because puppy's network managers were designed without that automatic starting of wpa_supplicant, I have removed the new "hook" file, 10-wpa_supplicant, from the dhcpcd packages. To test any network manager that might be modified to handle the new dhcpcd feature, that file can be obtained from the source package's dhcpcd-hooks directory.

As always, please report any misbehavior of frisbee or dhcpcd so that I might address it.
Richard

UPDATE 4/10/2015: Uploaded frisbee-1.3.4 to incorporate recommendation by rcrsn51 to prevent shutdown hang when frisbee and samba used concurrently.

UPDATE 4/26/2015: Re-uploaded frisbee-1.3.4, after download number 20, to correct the version number displayed in its window title. As there is no functional change, individuals need not replace the original "1.3.4" -- but distro developers should take it for the next update of their distros.
Attachments
frisbee-1.3.4-20150426.pet
Frisbee 1.3.3 patched to avoid shutdown conflict with samba.
(33.9 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
frisbee-1.3.3-20150304.pet
Frisbee 1.3 installable as update retaining current settings
(33.82 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-i686.pet
Dropwait version for Tahrpup and newer puppies
(125.14 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-precise-i686.pet
Dropwait version for Precise puppies
(129.17 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-slacko-i686.pet
Dropwait version for Slacko puppies
(124.47 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-i686.pet
Original version compiled in Tahrpup.
Not usable in Precise and Slacko puppies.
(125.08 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Re: Frisbee installed Puppy 4.3.1

#419 Post by rerwin »

hamoudoudou wrote:How do you remove builtin Pwireless as Frisbee goes well ?
I trashed what i found with Pfind, but it's not a clean way.
hamoudoudou,
Your screeny tells me your are using Pwireless2. I found the thread for that here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 371#360694

I downloaded the pet package and listed its files.

To answer your question: If you have installed either pwireless or Pwireless2, then uninstall them. But I assume it is more complex than that. Since my copy of Puppy 4.3.1 does not contain Pwireless2, my guess is that you are using a remastered version that has Pwireless added.

Here is an edited list of the files I found, which would be candidates for removal -- but only if they are not needed by Frisbee.

Code: Select all

pwireless2-1.0/etc/init.d:
Pwireless2 [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]

pwireless2-1.0/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks: [Keep files if needed by Frisbee.]
01-test
10-mtu
20-resolv.conf
29-lookup-hostname
30-hostname
99-dhcpup
99-down
99-ifup
99-release
99-stop
99-timeout
99-up

pwireless2-1.0/root/Startup:
pwireless2-tray [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/local:
Pwireless2 [Can deactivate by renaming this directory.]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/local/bin:
gtrayicon [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]
Pwireless2 [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/local/sbin: [Keep files if needed by Frisbee; otherwise, rename them.]
dhcpcd
wpa_cli
wpa_supplicant

pwireless2-1.0/usr/share/applications:
Pwireless2.desktop [Rename to change "desktop" to something else.]

[These should do no harm if left intact...]
pwireless2-1.0/usr/share/gtrayicon:
activate.svg
ChangeLog
deactivate.svg
gtrayicon.glade
LICENSE
README
sample.menu

pwireless2-1.0/usr/share:
gtrayicon [entire directory, if no remaining files]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/share/pixmaps:
network-offline.png
network-transmit-receive.png
network-wireless.png
Instead of deleting the files, you can remove "execute" permissions or rename files or directories as indicated in the statements bounded by "[" and "]".

You should probably experiment with a separate pupsave file where you first delete the Pwireless2 files in the list, then install the Frisbee beta package that seems to work for you.

Please be aware, though, that Pwireless and the Frisbee beta packages are beyond what I take responsibility for -- I maintain only frisbee-1.0 and later. HTH
Richard

hamoudoudou

Desactivate Pwireless i/o removing

#420 Post by hamoudoudou »

it's the french Puppy named 'Toutou'with pwireless included. Desactivate pwireless instead of removing is the idea. Ok i will do as you suggest.
The icons were still in the tool bar because i did'nt scratch everything.
Remove builtin apps is not in the menu of this Puppy. (or i did'nt see it)
Thanks rerwin.