Netgear WNA3100

For drivers and kernel modules.
mhhack

Netgear WNA3100

#1 Post by mhhack »

Hi, I'm new to Puppy, using 5.2.8 At first I could make no connection to the Internet at all, using the strongest WPA, and it was't until I used a weaker form of WPA that I finally connected. To do so I had to edit the WNA3100, and when I chose a weaker WPA a message popped up informing me that I would be not be using the Extender in the 'n' mode.

I've also noticed that when I quit Puppy and return to Win 7 the WNA3100 is disconnected, and it has to be removed and restarted. Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks

rcrsn51

Re: Netgear WNA3100

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

mhhack wrote:At first I could make no connection to the Internet at all, using the strongest WPA, and it was't until I used a weaker form of WPA that I finally connected.
In my tests with Lucid Puppy 528 and a Netgear WNA3100, I had to use ndiswrapper and the Windows XP driver. But I had no trouble with the strongest WPA2. So I don't understand your problem.
To do so I had to edit the WNA3100, and when I chose a weaker WPA a message popped up informing me that I would be not be using the Extender in the 'n' mode.
You need to explain that statement. How did you edit the WNA3100? Who popped up the message? Your router?
I've also noticed that when I quit Puppy and return to Win 7 the WNA3100 is disconnected, and it has to be removed and restarted.
Please explain better. Do you need to unplug/replug the adapter?
Password
What does this have to do with passwords?

mhhack

#3 Post by mhhack »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I soon realized that I had to use a windows driver, and used the driver I found on my Win 7 PC (BCMWLHIGH5.inf). You mentioned using an XP driver, so maybe that was the problem. In any event, where can I find the XP driver; I don't see the drivers on Netgear. When I get the driver I will reinstall it, and change to the strongest WPA2.

When I exit Puppy, I cannot get on the net without unplugging and replugging the WNA3100, after which it connects instantly.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Windows driver I used was the 5.100.68.46 from here.

You still have not explained this statement.
To do so I had to edit the WNA3100, and when I chose a weaker WPA a message popped up informing me that I would be not be using the Extender in the 'n' mode.

mhhack

#5 Post by mhhack »

Sorry about that. What I did was reset the security in the Netgear Extender from WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK[TKIP]. When I made that change Puppy 5.2.8 connected immediately. The popup regarding the loss of 'n' wireless occurred while making the change in security while setting up the Netgear Extender. Please bear with me - I'm new to all this, and trying to understand a lot in a veryt short time.