(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Sep 2020, 00:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 44 of 99 [1481 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
Keisha

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 05:01    Post subject: Latenight thoughts on infinality in DD-Wheezy  

Hi Toni,

Just a quick couple of thoughts and then I'm off to bed.

Infinality fonting does not necessarily deliver perfection out of the box. At first, it's a question of adjusting the USE_STYLE= numbers in /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings-debian-dog.sh (I'm going to call it "IS" from now on, to save typing), and also in IS you must make sure that the dpi line near the top matches what is shown by xdpyinfo|grep resolution.

I did notice that the console fonts look strange. The default font is proportional not monospace. Change it to a monospace font and it looks better. However, I must say, I have not seen such a pronounced degree of displacement in proportional fonts, in a terminal window, with previous versions of infinality. If you turn off snapping (*edited later: and stem alignment*) entirely, it's one of the settings in IS, the displacement might go away.

Quote:

forget about compiling without patching and searching workarounds and no more 100% Debian Wheezy repository compatibility. Upgrading libc6 and libc6-i686 in Wheezy and adding packages from Jessie is a problem and leads to never ending fixes for Wheezy.

Yes, very true.

Even so, many people have issued pleas to be supplied with infinality for wheezy. I hope they will find this thread and their curiosity will be satisfied. It will help them to understand why it is a "mixed blessing" (i.e, the devil's bargain).

For me, crisp fonts are very important, but 100% Debian package management compatibility is not so important, because obviously I can compile pretty much anything I need. And in fact I will ultimately resume building my Linux From Scratch and move away from Puppy, Debian, and all distro's.

But it is fun to dwell here and play a bit with this, the most conservative of distro's. I would not have done so, if you hadn't made a "puppified" version and so I say thank you again !

Last edited by Keisha on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:22; edited 2 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 06:43    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, All,

Here is DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso with kernel 3.16.0-4-586 for testing.
-----------------------------
Edit:
Update: New iso, download from here:
http://www.kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-Jessie/
Changes:
- Support for encrypted savefile with live-boot v3 and porteus-boot
(replaced initrd.img and initrd1.xz)
-----------------------------
It is an upgrade of the openbox_xfce iso I shared here a while back:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=786120#786120
I think I solved most of the problems caused by upgrading, e.g. switch to systemd boot, ffmpeg commands in scripts changed to avconv.
Still a lot is untested.
Compared to Wheezy openbox_xfce version, the filesize is a lot more:
- 01-filesystem.squashfs is 40M larger (162M now)
- the iso is 55M larger (207M)
Jessie uses more RAM on my machine.

Attached jessie-fixes.tar.gz wich includes a.o.:
- /etc/rc.local.shutdown which is replacement for /etc/init.d/snapexit
- service files for frisbee, getty (for autologin) and rc.local.shutdown
- ffconvert deb higher version (the only thing I changed is the message at start when ffmpeg or libav-tools is not installed, it corresponds with the Debian version (7 or 8 )).
- ffmpeg2sfs creates 'libav-tools.sfs'.
- video2audio-gui-x and video2audio-x modified to work with avconv
I disabled snapexit from Menu: System> Configure Startup services
Note: the above are already included in the iso, the jessie-fixes archive is for reference.

The active entry in /etc/apt/sources.list is from snapshot.debian:
Code:
deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20150218/ testing main contrib non-free

This makes it a 'static' release instead of a 'rolling' release (which in fact Jessie/testing is). This way is more suitable for a live system IMHO.
To make it 'testing' rolling release, comment out the above line and uncomment this line so becomes this:
Code:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Just for info: to use the snapshot repo there needs to be this line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:
Code:
Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "0";

A bit of a downside of the snapshot.debian repo is that the first time (only) running 'apt-get update' takes much more time.
To upgrade the system, you can change the date in the above snapshot.debian line to recent date (as it is now it's a few days ago) and make a remaster with updates included.
Having the name 'testing' instead of 'jessie' in this line will always keep it 'testing', even when jessie becomes stable.
If there's any interest, I'd be happy to maintain this as a 'Debian testing' release of DebianDog-openbox_xfce and upgrade the iso -let's say- once in three months.

Fred
jessie-fixes.tar.gz
Description  jessie-fixes that are already included in DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso
gz

Download 
Filename  jessie-fixes.tar.gz 
Filesize  70.47 KB 
Downloaded  295 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 18:08; edited 1 time in total
anikin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 07:49    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, Fred et al,

Quote:
Upgrading libc6 and libc6-i686 in Wheezy and adding packages from Jessie is a problem and leads to never ending fixes for Wheezy.
Am I right in understanding, that adding libc6-i686 was a mistake?
It was my idea ...
In my primitive thinking, there's libc6-i686 for every release and dist-upgrade should resolve it without issue:

squeeze - libc6-i686 (2.11.3-4)
wheezy - libc6-i686 (2.13-38+deb7u7) [security]
jessie - libc6-i686 (2.19-13)
sid - libc6-i686 (2.19-15)
GNU C Library: Shared libraries [i686 optimized] ==>
Quote:
Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on the system. This package includes shared versions of the standard C library and the standard math library, as well as many others.

This set of libraries is optimized for i686 machines, and will only be used on an i686 class CPU (check the output of `uname -m'). This includes Pentium Pro, Pentium II/III/IV, Celeron CPU's and similar class CPU's (including clones such as AMD Athlon/Opteron, VIA C3 Nehemiah, but not VIA C3 Ezra).
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 08:02    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
It was my idea ...
In my primitive thinking, there's libc6-i686 for every release and dist-upgrade should resolve it without issue:

Not a mistake, if you install wheezy version on wheezy, not the jessie or sid version.

Fred
anikin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 08:18    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
... Not a mistake, if you install wheezy version on wheezy, not the jessie or sid version.
Will it be included in DD releases?
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:47    Post subject:  

Hi, Anikin.
anikin wrote:
It was my idea ...

No, as Fred wrote there is no problem with libc6-i686 from Wheezy.
Keisha posted workaround for installing infinality fonts in Wheezy and it needs upgrading libc6 and libc6-686 to newer version (not available as Wheezy deb) and this breaks part of dpkg database in favour of better fonts for Wheezy.

Quote:
Will it be included in DD releases?

libc6-i686 (from Wheezy repo) is included in latest DD versions.

Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:49    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Here is DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso with kernel 3.16.0-4-586 for testing.

Thanks, Fred.
I will test it soon.

Toni
Keisha

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:27    Post subject:  

Thanks, Fred, from me too. I'll look at it (and post instructions to "infinality-ize" it, no matter whether it's the devil's bargain or not Twisted Evil ) tonight.
Keisha

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 13:06    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
Hi Toni, Fred et al,

Quote:
Upgrading libc6 and libc6-i686 in Wheezy and adding packages from Jessie is a problem and leads to never ending fixes for Wheezy.

Hi anikin,

I believe Toni is referring to the fact that, in my workaround procedure to install infinality on Wheezy, given above, I have installed a libc6 and a libc6-i686 from an unofficial mepis-wheezy repository. I don't know whether these two additions alone are enough to break the debian-wheezy dpkg database, provided you keep the necessary added line in /etc/apt/sources.list which points to the mepis repository,...but, the totality of the additions, where most of it comes from jessie and the final three .deb's are my debian-novice cowboy roll-your-own's (with one of them mercifully reworked a little, by Toni) ...well, yes, most certainly, if you rely on the debian-wheezy package manager then this wild "through-the-river-and-over-the-woods" workaround, considered as a whole, will definitely leave you up the Niagara without an Evinrude Shocked

saintless

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 15:23    Post subject:  

Hi, Keisha.
When you can not install packages from official Debian Wheezy repository in Debian-Wheezy this means dpkg database is broken. Keeping DebianDog-Wheezy 100% Debian-Wheezy compatible and preventing problems for dpkg database is my priority from the start and will be my priority in the future. I do not mind workarounds if they are carefully tested and modded to prevent dpkg problems, but this is not the case with your workaround procedure for installing infinality fonts.
Keisha wrote:
... I have installed a libc6 and a libc6-i686 from an unofficial mepis-wheezy repository. I don't know whether these two additions alone are enough to break the debian-wheezy dpkg database, provided you keep the necessary added line in /etc/apt/sources.list which points to the mepis repository,...

Only libc6 upgrade is enough to break installing compiling tools in DebianDog.
Install gFTP in Openbox version and try to start it and you will see infinality fonts workaround breaks much more than compiling tools. When you get one thing working by breaking other programs on the system, then it is not good workaround for me.
Jessie and Sid packages in general need different dependency versions and also can break the system easy if you are not careful what is installed, replaced and removed from the system.

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind if you post your tests, workarounds and instructions here. I'm sure they will work the same way for standard Debian if they work for DebianDog. But if you call good work forcing infinality fonts to work by breaking other parts of the system, I do not think so. I will call it good work when it is done without breaking anything in DebianDog and I'm sure someone like you (who can compile pretty much anything he needs) is able to do it much better. Maybe recompiling all needed packages to work with older libc6 version is possible for example.
Debian has very smart tools like aptitude and can cure the system easy from anything (even in full install), but who knows wnen some workaround procedure will break aptitude?

Toni
Keisha

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 16:56    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Wow. Looks like, by cackling too much, I've tied myself to the whipping-post here Laughing

I have shown the way. If someone wants to devote a month or two of monk-like servitude to the quest, to make the current version of infinality work with wheezy's libc6-2.13 ...you have my blessing to go at it! The hardest part will be persuading freetype-2.5.5 to accept any libglib lower than about 2.41.

If you want infinality in wheezy, in such a way as to not break dpkg, and not require a thousand hours of recoding, you must settle for an older version of infinality.

The first version I ever wielded was the July 2013 version. It uses freetype-2.5.0.1, fontconfig-2.10.93, and cairo-1.12.14. It has the modest stated requirement of needing only libglib-2.36.4.

Hmm... the "libglib-2.33.12+really2.32.4-5 (now)" (???) of "stock" wheezy ...is lower than that.

I'll dig through the archives and see if there is a more primordial version of infinality which wheezy can hoist without needing first to be bulked up on steroids from mepis and jessie.

saintless

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 18:07    Post subject:  

Hi, Keisha.
Keisha wrote:
I have shown the way. If someone wants to devote a month or two of monk-like servitude to the quest, to make the current version of infinality work with wheezy's libc6-2.13 ...you have my blessing to go at it!
Why I'm not surprised... Smile
I will pass on that since I'm quite happy reading the Debian fonts wiki and let someone who needs latest infinality fonts in Wheezy to follow the road to Niagara.
BTW the wiki above includes link how to install older infinality in Wheezy.

Toni
Keisha

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2015, 19:04    Post subject: on the pre-existing Debian infinality repo  

Quote:
Why I'm not surprised...

If it were that easy, someone would have already done it Smile

The git hub pointed-to by that wiki was last updated in August 2013 and he was using freetype-2.4.9, which does seem like it would be in roughly the same time frame (late 2012 or early 2013?) as wheezy's libglib-2.32. So, that build of infinality probably will work OK...except...I see no mention of any libcairo in it, only libfontconfig and libfreetype.

As I stated earlier, infinality is a 3-part recipe, not 2-part--at least, this has been true since I have been using infinality, starting with the version based on freetype 2.5.0.1.

Since the build order is libfreetype-->libfontconfig-->libcairo, I have (several times) seen it when the build process is only 2/3 finished. In my experience, 2-part infinality is not significantly better than merely a compile of libfreetype with bci-hinting turned on.

But maybe it was different back when infinality used freetype-2.4.9. Maybe bohoomil was not patching cairo back then.

I will look into it tonight.

Keisha

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 02:49    Post subject: Progress report on infinality for DD-Wheezy  

This build strategy should keep the wheels of dpkg from falling off in Wheezy:

1. Match versions of libfreetype6, libfontconfig, and libcairo2 to what is supplied with Wheezy. The lib versions are:

libfreetype.so.6.8.1 (source = freetype-2.4.9, March 8 2012) ( about 9 months older than my guess)
libfontconfig.so.1.5.0 (source = fontconfig-2.9.0 March 10 2012)
libcairo.so.2.11200.2 (source = cairo-1.12.2 April 29 2012)

2. Get as close as I can, to the Debian/Ubuntu and infinality patchsets for all these. The infinality past-version archives are at

http://www.infinality.net/fedora/linux/

An exact version match exists in the infinality archive for libfreetype-2.4.9; the libcairo2 infinality patchset is so brief, and so generic, that I believe the current patch will apply.

Unfortunately, there is no infinality patchset for fontconfig-2.9.0 in the present-day repository. I'll ask bohoomil (the author) if he has an old copy available.

It will be a different arrangement of the contents of /etc/fonts, and a different infinality-settings.sh.

Back eventually, with the goods.

If either of you can point me to the official Debian/Ubuntu patchsets for these exact versions of libfreetype6, libfontconfig, and libcairo2, it will save me some time tomorrow night.

Sorry Fred, I'll have to postpone trials of your new DD-Jessie for a day or two or three Wink

Last edited by Keisha on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 06:37; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015, 05:43    Post subject: Re: Progress report on infinality for DD-Wheezy  

Thanks, Keisha!
Keisha wrote:
If either of you can point me to the official Debian/Ubuntu patchsets for these exact versions of libfreetype6, libfontconfig, and libcairo2, it will save me some time tomorrow night.

I'm not sure if this is true, but seems libcairo does not need patching according to the information here:
http://www.infinality.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=280
And maybe some ready to install packages + sources for Wheezy, Jessie and other related to infinality here (taken from the same link above):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7AdLMiZn4FzT1FGTERscGtzc0E&usp=drive_web
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7AdLMiZn4FzT1FGTERscGtzc0E&usp=drive_web
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7AdLMiZn4FzdGZNV2FpLWhPTkk&usp=drive_web

Toni

Page 44 of 99 [1481 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: