Current Browsers for Puppy Linux Developers and Users

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gcmartin

Current Browsers for Puppy Linux Developers and Users

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This intends to be a central directional for Browsers available to Puppy Linux community.This thread only shows those forum threads which dedicate themselves to a specific browser to minimize/avoid user confusion.

Portable Browsers - for installation outside of normal root system areas to minimize running filesystem's storage needs Browser PETs/SFSs packages for PUPPY installation(s)
Notes for novice users:
PETs are for permanent filesystem installations, integrated into the overall system's management structure while SFSs, though existing in the filesystem, intend to be only become operational when loaded via some built-in system's means. How to - Providing acquiring browsers and simple installation steps Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 07:29, edited 9 times in total.

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

New users should know that, as of today, the above list of browsers and their sources is anything but comprehensive.

Unless it is fully updated soon and thereafter on a regular basis - this thread will be of severely limited assistance to many readers.

This helpful section of the Forum is already dedicated to "Browsers and Internet" - and may still be browsed for wider info.

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

I've added a link to this thread on the wiki wikka ; -)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SoftwareInternet

gcmartin

Security feature suggested on FF 31 upgrade

#4 Post by gcmartin »

FireFox version 31.0 upgrade offers a vault that may be of interest to browser users. Its a security feature for personal information we all have and use.

See this post.

mikeslr

Note regarding Chrome-Chromium Extensions

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Removed for now. I want to double-check something.

Be back tomorrow.

mikesLr

rufwoof

Re: Current Browsers for Puppy Linux Developers and Users

#6 Post by rufwoof »

No (very little) credit to me for that script gcmartin. Just someone else's script that I have no reference/link to that was modified a little by me to just run the fresh download rather than create a sfs of the download.

Another example (or choice) is a modified version of Shinobar's portable firefox

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

File : firefox-portable-ram-0.5.tar.gz

(make sure its the one with ram in the filename as the other is just a exact copy of shinobar's original version).

Which is a copy of Shinobar's portable firefox http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945 (a older version - but still works fine for me), just with a few lines of code commented out in the firefox-portable script (first few lines in the buildguest() function) so that it can also be installed into ram (Shinobar's version prohibits installation to ram and insists on being under /mnt/home).

i.e. download that tarball. Then in a ram booted puppy copy that to /root (or wherever), extract, and navigate to the firefox portable ram sub directory then into firefox portable sub directory, click the firefox portable app and it will download the latest firefox (offering choice of language).

If you run a ram (cold/hard) booted puppy from CD/read-only that has the puppy sfs installed into initrd.gz then the HDD's aren't even touched. If there's a method to grab the latest browser direct from the provider such as above, then you're booting a pretty secure system. Provided you then go to no other web sites either before or after other than your banks web site then that's pretty secure (pristine op system and browser, no HDD's mounted all running in cleanly booted ram). Still not 100% secure as firmware or network link could have been breached, and there's always the risk of a rootkit in either the 'pristine' op system or browser - but reasonably safe (better than using a system/browser that's been exposed to all sorts of web sites/usage).

doug312

Which is the preferred? 1st, 2nd

#7 Post by doug312 »

AMD Athlon 64 3800 core:0 2400 5.6 puppy use USB, firefox 34 was 17

Since uploading to Firefox 34 I have been having troubles with gmail
and google not loading. I downloaded chromium but can't get it to sync.
Also how do I start a session. No icon was put on desktop or ??.
Want to know what is the best to use for puppy 5.6

rufwoof

Firefox 36

#8 Post by rufwoof »

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/24/firefo ... at-is-new/
If Flash is not installed or if it is disabled, the HTML5 player is automatically used on the site. This implementation is limited to select video resolutions only. You may notice that the highest resolution available is 720p when you use the HTML Flash player on YouTube in Firefox 36.

This changes when you set the parameter media.mediasource.enabled to true.

Type about:config in the address bar and hit enter.
Confirm you will be careful if the prompt appears.
Search for media.mediasource.enabled.
Double-click the entry to set it to true.

Once done, higher resolutions become available on YouTube.

gcmartin

Tor now offering secure chat

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Tor now offering Secure Chat available in beta

Pelo

Some Puppies are delivered to newbies without a browser

#10 Post by Pelo »

Some Puppies are delivered to newbies without a browser, but he can choose between a panel (Jessie), other provides a mini browser like Links, happily most of our light Puppies include Firefox
User can change it if he prefers another one.
Notice that if you have to load a browser, the size of Puppy grows significantly.
For this Jessie born in America del Sur, i install a browser from my toolcase, Slimboat, because QT libs are included, allowing some Qt applications free of charge.
If i were a Puppy-builder i will include Firefox 17. It allows your Puppy to run on old machines with 512MB Ram, and you can upload it to the last version if Your RAM is much more (generally 4GB). That was the idea retained by Nilson Morales for its Pupjibaro.
Attachments
navegador.jpg
Jessie sales four browsers ( to pay in MBs, not in Pesos)
(51.47 KiB) Downloaded 12017 times

gcmartin

Firefox promotes new facility for multiple browsing subjects

#11 Post by gcmartin »

If you use your browser as separate browser windows for different Internet needs, you will want to be aware of this new FIREFOX feature.

Now the question is how to install the FIREFOX nightly to an existing PUP system, modern or old?

Hope this helps

slavvo67

#12 Post by slavvo67 »

Installing it was easy; however the 64 bit is not yet allowing the new container tab. Maybe it's too new and they're working out the flaws....

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Firefox promotes new facility for multiple browsing subjects

#13 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

gcmartin wrote:If you use your browser as separate browser windows for different Internet needs, you will want to be aware of this new FIREFOX feature.
Nice Firefox image! It makes me feels sunny and creative. This might make a good desktop background wallpaper. :)

slavvo67

#14 Post by slavvo67 »

Quick nightly pet that works in RUXerus and Barry's Xerus; maybe other puppies, as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B672gI ... sp=sharing[/url]

B.K. Johnson

#15 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@slavvo67
The firefoxN pet did not work in xenial-7.0.1.

I note you use an unusual exec: urxvt -e /opt/firefoxN/firefox
Nothing visible when firefoxN launched from desktop icon
Nothing visible when firefoxN launched from /usr/opt/firefoxN/firefox (ROX)
Something undecipherable flashes across the screen when launched from Menu->Internet->FirefoxN->firefox

Tomorrow, I'll download another Nightly and install manually with the usual links and see what happens.
[EDIT]
Downloaded and manually installed a Firefox Nightly.
Worked OK, first time.
Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Could slimjet be added to the list? It's really good.

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Is SlimBoat and SlimJet the same browser? See opening post.

If someone will post a location or a post of steps for FF Nightly, it will be added to the opening post for users to see.

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

Firefox Nightly: https://nightly.mozilla.org/

I believe Slimboat and Slimjet are made by the same people and Slimjet is the newer version.

Hi BK Johnson:

I put the daily to run in the /opt directory. Maybe you don't have the urxvt terminal installed? Not sure why it wouldn't work. The differences in the Quirky directory structure could have been an issue, too. The desktop icon simply goes to /opt/firefox/firefox to execute. I just renamed firefox to firefoxN to distinguish between the already installed "normal" firefox and the Nightly.

Strangely, the nightly seems to run better than the normal Firefox in Quirky Xerus. Not sure why but I won't complain....

Slavvo67

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

gcmartin wrote:Is SlimBoat and SlimJet the same browser? .
No, they are different browsers. Slimjet seems much faster than other browsers to me. Check for various versions within this thread here
Slimjet browser ..... is from the same company (FlashPeak) which made the SlimBoat browser. To clarify the difference, SlimBoat is based on the community-maintained webkit while Slimjet is based on Google's blink engine. As a matter of fact, most browser vendors have chosen to go with Blink and I guess FlashPeak has decided to follow the suit.
Also, Mike Walsh has a 64bit thread here

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, greengeek.

You're quite right. SlimJet is Chromium-based (using the 'Blink' engine, as do many others these days; SlimBoat used the old QtWebkit engine, which is no longer maintained), but FlashPeak have paid special attention to privacy and ad-blocking, as well as to CPU and memory usage.....which are something like 25-30% down on normal Chromium.

In all other respects, it's just like using Chrome itself; it'll work with all your bookmarks and extensions, just by signing into your Google account as usual.

I've been a Chrome user since it was in beta (years ago!), but since discovering SlimJet, it's all but taken over from Chrome for me, it's that good. But you still need Chrome, or a fairly recent Chromium, hanging around if you want to watch NetFlix, I'm afraid. The methods we tried a while back for getting NetFlix to run in other browsers, although they worked in Chromium itself from version 49 onwards, won't work in SlimJet yet. FlashPeak haven't coded in the necessary support requirements for it to run under h.264, it seems.

That aside, I would recommend it to anyone. The only visual difference is in the tabs; they're more reminiscent of pre-Australis FireFox.....squared, rather than sloped. But don't let that put you off what is a brilliant browser..!

@gcmartin:-

I agree with greengeek. I think it's reached the stage where SlimJet should be added to the list; the more so, since it's now available to Puppians in both 32- and 64-bit packages.

Mike. :wink: