Skype sees no sound card (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
NocturnalJoe

Skype sees no sound card (Solved)

#1 Post by NocturnalJoe »

Have Skype installed from the official website using the .deb installer. Can connect and message on skype with no issues. However there is no sound on skype at all. I went to the sound devices, and it does not show that I have any sound card installed, to select from. Yet alsa is installed and working just fine, I can play videos on youtube and stuff with no problems. How can I fix this?

Computer specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Dual Core Processor
2GB DDR2 800MHz PC6400 (2GB x 1)
MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 mATX Motherboard
250GB 3.5" SATA 3G 7200RPM Hard Drive

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.10.32 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Mon Mar 3 16:37:24 EST 2014
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Distribution : Slacko Puppy - 5.7.0
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc30762
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime : 17 hours 16 minutes
Load Average : 0.29, 0.32, 0.32

-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
PC Speaker
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA NVidia Front Headphone
HDA NVidia Line Out
HDA NVidia Line
HDA NVidia Rear Mic
HDA NVidia Front Mic
Last edited by NocturnalJoe on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

NocturnalJoe

#3 Post by NocturnalJoe »

Thank you, I downloaded the pulse skype 4.3 slacko version on that website. I can now hear sounds and voice on skype, but my mic is not working. Its a new headset. Any idea's how to get the mic working with skype? Is the mic off by default on puppy, if so how do I fix that? In alsa mixer it shows everything is on and at full volume.

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

What kind of headset is it?

NocturnalJoe

#5 Post by NocturnalJoe »

Its a Logitech h110

One I just picked up from the local walmart.

Code: Select all

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/6625

NocturnalJoe

#6 Post by NocturnalJoe »

Tryed using mumble and audio recorder. None of them detect and sound on the mic. So I tryed setvol in terminal, here are the reults.

Level has to be between 0 and 100
The following devices are supported

SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME 0
SOUND_MIXER_BASS 1
SOUND_MIXER_TREBLE 2
SOUND_MIXER_SYNTH 3
SOUND_MIXER_PCM 4
SOUND_MIXER_SPEAKER 5
SOUND_MIXER_LINE 6
SOUND_MIXER_MIC 7
SOUND_MIXER_CD 8
SOUND_MIXER_IMIX 9
SOUND_MIXER_ALTPCM 10
SOUND_MIXER_RECLEV 11
SOUND_MIXER_IGAIN 12
SOUND_MIXER_OGAIN 13

# setvol 0 100
# setvol 7 100
Device 7 is not supported by this system

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Not sure if it is as simple as this, but could try it.

Right click on the speaker icon in the desktop tray.
Select full window
make sure the mic is checked and volume turned up.

There are other settings for mic also to look at.

Could be something in Pulseaudio

In a terminal/console run this command

pavucontrol
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

NocturnalJoe

#8 Post by NocturnalJoe »

Checked the volume settings like suggested, everything was already on and turned up to 100%, yet still no luck.

# pavucontrol
bash: pavucontrol: command not found
# 

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

alsamixer you set the capture device with spacebar after pressing tab to get to input settings

sometimes there is mike and capture volume settings and perhaps a mic boost floating around.

mike

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

Many people often make the mistake of pushing the mic volume control up and then wondering why the mic is not working on applications such as Skype. In fact the mic playback volume control makes the sound from the mic come back out of your own speakers but does not send it anywhwere else, so usually this control needs to be fully down on zero unless perhaps you are trying to hear your own voice in your headphones.

Audio on computers is like a two-way street. You have what's coming out (playback) and what's going in (capture).

To get the mic to work for recording or for sending to another person via telephony you have to use the capture settings. The labelling of this may look different on different hardware, but usually you have to do two things. Firstly make sure the mic is selected as the input source and secondly make sure the capture volume level is up. Once you get it working you may have to reduce it so as not to be too loud. The capture settings can usually be found in a Retrovol full window. In alsamixer you may have to bring up the capture settings as a different field by pressing an F* key but you will see the instructions for this when you open it.

Take note that this is if you are using a mic that plugs in via the jack socket. If you use a USB mic it will appear as a different soundcard so you have to figure out how to select that as well.

Just a note about the experimental Skype packages that I put together for some Pups. I would suggest trying the ones with "apulse" in the name first but these may not work if you are using a USB mic or anything other than the default soundcard. None of my Skypes have pavucontrol as it has lots of dependencies and is still quite confusing to use anyway. Often the Skypes with "pulseaudio" in the name will work out of the box but if not then you just have to do a tiny bit of editing of one file /etc/pulse/default.pa which in practice is almost as easy as selecting options from a drop-down menu. BUT make sure you have got your capture settings sorted out first before messing with Skype/pulseaudio. Use one of your other apps such as a recorder to verify this.
Oscar in England

NocturnalJoe

#11 Post by NocturnalJoe »

I could not find where to open alsa mixer. The alsa sound wizard shows up though, so I opened that and went to audio settings, here is a screen shot from that.

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

Both of your 'capture' sliders are unticked. If you tick those boxes you should start capturing audio ok. Also look at the input source setting towards the bottom - you currently have rear mic selected. Change if necessary (and adjust boost as required)

NocturnalJoe

#13 Post by NocturnalJoe »

Thank you everyone, got it fully working now. Also changed skype from the paulse verison to the apaulse version and that fixed skype as well. :)