PeasyWiFi - a reliable WiFi connection manager

rcrsn51

#141 Post by rcrsn51 »

This gets tricky because the interface names are in two places - line 861 of peasywifi and line 13 of network.pwf.

I will give it some thought.

[Edit] Instead of adding the Ethernet definitions to the user's config file, it would be better to put them in a separate file in /etc/pwf.

Scooby

#142 Post by Scooby »

I had completely overlooked the file /etc/rc.d/rc.network.pwf

/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/ in old is the same as /etc/pwf/wifi/
in latest pwf version, huh?

rcrsn51

#143 Post by rcrsn51 »

Scooby wrote:/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/ in old is the same as /etc/pwf/wifi/
in latest pwf version, huh?
Yes.

Regarding the Ethernet interface names: I made the file /etc/pwf/interfaces containing

Code: Select all

ETH0="eth0"
ETH1="eth1"
I included it in both peasywifi and network.pwf, and changed "eth0" to "$ETH0", etc.

This works fine. I will add this to the next release.

Scooby

#144 Post by Scooby »

Any chans you could pm me a pre-realease of aforementioned code?

rcrsn51

#145 Post by rcrsn51 »

Done.

rcrsn51

#146 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF v3.4 has some new features that most people will never use.

1. Some bleeding-edge Linuxes are assigning Ethernet interface names like enp4s0 instead of eth0. To accommodate this, PWF now has the file /etc/pwf/interfaces that contains the definitions. Change them only if necessary.

2. There are two ways to secure the passphrase of a WiFi profile: use the Encryption-PIN method or set the passphrase to "always-ask". The latter method will pop up an entry box for the passphrase when you connect. If you are using enterprise WiFi with a PEAP profile, you may want the same behaviour for the login. If so, leave the identity field in the profile as "my_identity" and the password field as "my_password".

3. If you are setting up an Ethernet port with static IP and don't need a gateway, leave that field blank. It will be ignored by rc.network.pwf when you reboot.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#147 Post by Scooby »

I am porting peasywifi 3.4

During testing I tried "show all cells with this ssid" on an open
public service provider

And to my surprise there actually came up two different cells with same ssid

Now everything worked, peasywifi is OK
But I don't understand.

Why are the public service provider using two cells with same ssid?
Is it some kind of load balancing?

Do they have two different physical routers?

rcrsn51

#148 Post by rcrsn51 »

Scooby wrote:Why are the public service provider using two cells with same ssid? Do they have two different physical routers?
Yes. They will have multiple access points and two of them are within range of your computer.

By using Show all Cells, you can pick the one with the strongest signal.

If you do NOT use Show all Cells, you may get the AP that responds first, which may not be the strongest.

Be aware that some WiFi adapters do not provide a reliable signal strength number.

Scooby

#149 Post by Scooby »

rcrsn51 wrote: Be aware that some WiFi adapters do not provide a reliable signal strength number.
Is that something you have to live with or does any workarounds
exist?

rcrsn51

#150 Post by rcrsn51 »

Scooby wrote:Is that something you have to live with ?
Yes. For example, the Realtek 8188eu driver always reports a signal quality of zero.

Pelo

PEASYWIFI 2.8 was easier to do

#151 Post by Pelo »

Old Puppy TouTou 431 with Old Acer 2004 PeasyWifi still does it version 3.4. (frisbee installed as default does the job too)
See the show on you tube on tourne, click the blue
Attachments
pAVrecord.jpg
Don't listen audio, it's my french speaking (western accent)
(54.1 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 09:19, edited 4 times in total.

rcrsn51

Re: PEASYWIFI 2.8 was easier to do

#152 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pelo wrote:Old Puppy TouTou 431 with Old Acer 2004 PeasyWifi still does it version 3.4 ? or 3.5 don't notice.
I don't understand.
PEASYWIFI 2.8 was easier to do
How?

Pelo

English is easier than technical jargon

#153 Post by Pelo »

My first tries were wih PeasyWifi 2.8 and i kept the pet in a computer, and i am testing old Puppies on another one. Pwireless is included but don't keep connected as well as Frisbee or PeasyWifi.
Last version was 3.4. But too many options loose me. I will explain it better later.
The problem is the choices are clear for people used to network tool, but we don't ever understand words, not because they are in english, because we don't see what is is.
SSID DNS adressmac.. SNCF DDR DFDR SDF SFR....
Pet 3.4 installed. I can give precise example : wlan0 unknown, my wireless connection is eth0. What am i supposed to change ?

rcrsn51

#154 Post by rcrsn51 »

I recognize the problem with technical words and non-English languages.

PWF has two sources for help - the Help button on the first screen and the More button that links to the forum. It would be great if someone could translate them.

However, I don't see how PWF got more difficult to understand between v2.8 and v3.4.
Pet 3.4 installed. I can give precise example : wlan0 unknown, my wireless connection is eth0. What am i supposed to change ?
This is explained in the Help.

Pelo

It does not work, so you search why

#155 Post by Pelo »

It does not work, so you search why
Your are right, the version is not the cause. Wireless name wlan0 unknown (eth0 is the one) . That is certainly the reason.
Nevertheless, Peasywifi should not need tha name of the wireless code.
Pwireless only show reds found, you click on yours, and click connect.
But I don't forget my opinion, Peasywifi was and will remaint the easiest way to connect... Untill you find for eth0, my change with geany was unsuccesfull.
When Mummy will succeed to connect, we shall go and have a break. On the forum, you are all technicians, it looks easy for you, but it's not easy job for us. I have time enough to insist, but a lot of newcomers would not even post in the forum.
:? poor rcrscn, you do your best, and you are the one we 'cassons les pieds'. Merci for all the stuff Pxxxxx.Great job.
Attachments
wlan0.png
ETC/PWF/ modify conf to set eth0 solves error
(54.22 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

I GOT IT ! peasywifi takes the power.

#156 Post by Pelo »

I GOT IT ! peasywifi takes the power.
Nevertheless, Pwireless was easier (unstable too much)

rcrsn51

Re: It does not work, so you search why

#157 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pelo wrote:Nevertheless, Peasywifi should not need the name of the wireless code.
Here is an example. Your computer has two wireless adapters - an internal adapter that does not work in Puppy and an external USB adapter that does work.

Using the configuration file, you can permanently select the USB adapter. You don't need to choose from a menu each time you want to connect.

I'm sure that the Wizard, SNS, Frisbee, etc. have their own way of handling this situation. PWF does it through its configuration file.

Pelo

Don't change

#158 Post by Pelo »

Hum, ... usb adaptor, yes, it could be...
Bon, during the session, i reconnect several times for training. Scan and choose my operator between three. I am pleased. That is the way i like.
Now, keeping the connexion when reboot is done, PeasyWifi starts, but fails.
I run Molinux zero puppy 420 from Spane.
Acer laptop 1640 (2004) module inte ipw2200

your explanations were enough to understand where to modify
i just feedback my remarks, if 95% of users don't complain, you don't have to change for some persons, as Pelo.
It's not perfect, but PEASYWIFI is a nice tool, But Puppy has still a littlestep to do to reach the automatic connection. (Saluki would be the must in Puppy, connection is very easy and permanent)

Screenshot Molinux Zero
Attachments
broadcast.png
PeasyWifi Ok, with stability (that is the PWF's force))
(63.13 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#159 Post by rcrsn51 »

Auto-connection always works for me, so you need to provide more information.

1. What does the Status button say?

2. Does manual connection work after auto-connection fails?

3. Do you have the same problem in newer Puppies?

Pelo

No info in running process.

#160 Post by Pelo »

3 Questions
1 Status button : there is no icon peasywifi anywhere. Tonight computer ha connected without i do anything. I suppose Peasywifi is the Tool, because connection is stable. (remember i Changed wlan0 by eth1
in configuration script).
2 Manual connection : ok
3 PeasyWifi usually does the job, but sometimes NO; I will precise distros when playing them
Reboot > wireless is transfered to eth0 and does not work at all. It's late. I will advise to-morrow (it's just a challenge, but it shoul do it each time)