cant get serial mouse up

Booting, installing, newbie
Delboy

#21 Post by Delboy »

Barry, Hayden,
My "puppyserialdetect" boot problem had nothing to do with keyboard or mouse afterall. I disconnected my 'FAST' DSL broadband modem and it's usb connection and my boot was problem free. looks like this "puppyserialdetect" process mistakes this usb for something else
I want to HD install and obviously not have to take the modem usb plug out at every boot. How can I fix this please.?
I have yet to find out how to connect to the internet with this modem to test it after plugging it in again following boot.

hayden

#22 Post by hayden »

Get hyper and try to read the various boot screens to see if Puppy thinks you have a USB mouse!-) Tip: I found that if I exited X to the command line the messages from stopping AND starting X are still on the screen and one usually tells you where X thinks the mouse is. I think psaux means a PS/2 mouse and ttyS0 means a serial mouse on COM1.

For the record, I tried another mouse and it did work with Puppy 2.02 Seamonkey -- but not with 2.02 CE!-( Both do think (correctly) that this mouse is at ttyS0.

And I found a command line editor for tweaking ASCII configuration files -- if you can find them. It is called "e3" and comes in several flavors. I munched on e3em (Emacs lite) but there is an e3ws -- for all you WordStar fans?-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

Delboy wrote:Barry, Hayden,
My "puppyserialdetect" boot problem had nothing to do with keyboard or mouse afterall. I disconnected my 'FAST' DSL broadband modem and it's usb connection and my boot was problem free. looks like this "puppyserialdetect" process mistakes this usb for something else
I want to HD install and obviously not have to take the modem usb plug out at every boot. How can I fix this please.?
I have yet to find out how to connect to the internet with this modem to test it after plugging it in again following boot.
Delboy,
Could you run 'puppyserialdetect' with the dsl modem plugged in:
Just open a terminal window (should be okay to do this in X) and type:

# puppyserialdetect

Then let me know what it returns.

That is probably not the problem though. /etc/rc.d/rc.local0 has this line:

Code: Select all

[ ! "`cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 2>/dev/null | grep -i --extended-regexp "mouse|trackball"`" = "" ] && USBMOUSEDEV="input/mice"
...in other words, it looks for the text "mouse" or "trackball" in the file
/proc/bus/usb/devices and if found, decides a usb mouse is present.
So, plugin your usb modem and then open that file in a text editor and see
if it has that text in it (as long as there isn't an actual usb mouse plugged in).
...let us know what you discover!

Delboy

#24 Post by Delboy »

will try tonight
many thanks

Delboy

#25 Post by Delboy »

Barry,
Followed your instructions:
(ps/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse - at least I think so -small round plugs with pins for both)
Booted without usb broadband modem plugged in with wake2pup2.img floppy off hard disk copied .ISO files.
When in Puppy, I plug modem USB back in, exit to console mode prompt and type in 'puppyserialdetect' but nothing happens apart from cursor
goes to next line, blinks a bit then new prompt appears (no text) - nix!

I looked in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local0 file you mentioned - edited text bits are copied below - I have kept what seems to relate to auto detecting mice and serial whatever. Perhaps this can illuminate the issue. Can't make anything of it myself I'm afraid.

#autodetect serial mouse and serial modem...
#note, do this before reading /proc/bus/usb/devices as need extra delay.
#v201 worked fine when we tested it, after v200 released got a couple reports it hangs...
#SERIALSTUFF="`puppyserialdetect 2>/dev/null`" #note, also accessed in rc.network.
puppyserialdetect > /tmp/serialstuff &
CNTSLP=1
SERIALSTUFF=""
echo -n "puppyserialdetect is running"
while [ ! "`pidof puppyserialdetect`" = "" ];do
[ $CNTSLP -gt 5 ] && killall puppyserialdetect
[ $CNTSLP -gt 7 ] && break #precaution if cannot kill
sleep 1
echo -n " $CNTSLP"
CNTSLP=`expr $CNTSLP + 1`
done
echo
[ -f /tmp/serialstuff ] && SERIALSTUFF="`cat /tmp/serialstuff`"

#detect type of keyboard...
KEYBOARDTYPE=""
NEWKEYBOARDTYPE="ps/2"
[ -f /etc/keyboardtype ] && KEYBOARDTYPE="`cat /etc/keyboardtype`"
[ ! "`cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 2>/dev/null | grep -i "keyboard"`" = "" ] && NEWKEYBOARDTYPE="usb"
if [ ! "$KEYBOARDTYPE" = "" ];then
if [ ! "$NEWKEYBOARDTYPE" = "$KEYBOARDTYPE" ];then
echo -en "\\033[1;31m" #red
echo -n "WARNING: now using $NEWKEYBOARDTYPE keyboard, previous type was $KEYBOARDTYPE"
echo -e "\\033[0;39m"
fi
fi
KEYBOARDTYPE="$NEWKEYBOARDTYPE"
echo -n "$KEYBOARDTYPE" > /etc/keyboardtype

#autodetect mouses. if one matches entry in /etc/mousedevice then keep it...
#note, if multiple mouses detected, one is chosen in order usb,serial,ps/2.
#output format of puppyserialdetect: "Type:mouse|Port:/dev/ttyS0"
MOUSEDEV="nothing"
SERMOUSEDEV="`echo "$SERIALSTUFF" | grep "mouse" | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d '|' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
#anomaly, jcoder24 got one mouse seems like a slow modem...
[ "$SERMOUSEDEV" = "" ] && SERMOUSEDEV="`echo "$SERIALSTUFF" | grep 'Speed:1200' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d '|' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
[ ! "`cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 2>/dev/null | grep -i --extended-regexp "mouse|trackball"`" = "" ] && USBMOUSEDEV="input/mice"
[ "$SERMOUSEDEV$USBMOUSEDEV" = "" ] && PS2MOUSEDEV="psaux" #logical fallback, it must be a ps/2 mouse!
#now read what has previously been set...
[ -f /etc/mousedevice ] && MOUSEDEV="`cat /etc/mousedevice`"
echo -n "$MOUSEDEV" > /tmp/oldmousedevice #save for /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin
MOUSECHOICES="${USBMOUSEDEV}|${SERMOUSEDEV}|${PS2MOUSEDEV}"
if [ "`echo -n "$MOUSECHOICES" | grep "$MOUSEDEV"`" = "" ];then
#MOUSEDEV is not one of the existing choices, so must choose an existing mouse...
MOUSEDEV="`echo -n "$MOUSECHOICES" | cut -f 1 -d '|'`"
[ "$MOUSEDEV" = "" ] && MOUSEDEV="`echo -n "$MOUSECHOICES" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
[ "$MOUSEDEV" = "" ] && MOUSEDEV="`echo -n "$MOUSECHOICES" | cut -f 3 -d '|'`"
fi
echo -n "$MOUSEDEV" > /etc/mousedevice
ln -sf $MOUSEDEV /dev/mouse

BarryK
Puppy Master

#26 Post by BarryK »

..in other words, it looks for the text "mouse" or "trackball" in the file
if it has that text in it (as long as there isn't an actual usb mouse plugged in).
Delboy, no, look in /proc/bus/usb/devices for those strings, after plugging in
the usb device.

mouldy

#27 Post by mouldy »

Is there a way to just turn off puppyserialdetect and have Puppy use /etc/mousedevice as it exists on every boot. I am sure this autodetect is nice for newbies and all, but the old way had me tell Puppy what kind of mouse I had and where it was ONE time when installed and that was it. Never had to think about it again unless I changed type mouse and then I could just use vi to edit the /etc/mousedevice file. Right now I am pulling my hair out in clumps when mouse doesnt work every couple boots cause Puppy decided I really didnt have a mouse at ttyS1, but at psaux.

mouldy

#28 Post by mouldy »

Not sure I solved anything, but havent had Puppy change mouse setting on me in last half dozen boots. I changed /dev/psaux to /dev/psaux2 and made /dev/psaux a sim link to /dev/ttyS0. Too early to really tell if this is true cure or not.

Delboy

#29 Post by Delboy »

BarryK wrote:
..in other words, it looks for the text "mouse" or "trackball" in the file
Delboy, no, look in /proc/bus/usb/devices for those strings, after plugging in
the usb device.
DOH! sorry Barry,
Actually, my kids have sorted my "puppyserialdetect" problem out it seems. Before I had a chance to go back in and look at that file, they trashed a few keys on the nasty far eastern 'Office' keyboard I had been using (online gaming) and they fished out an old generic 'standard' ps/2 keyboard from the cupboard to replace it. Puppy2.10 boots up fine now with the usb broadband modem plug in from the start.

gliezl

#30 Post by gliezl »

This is regarding my previous post here. I tried to install Puppy 2.12 in my father's pc but still the ps/2 mouse is not functioning. The pc has a modem at ttyS1 and a usb web cam. even booting the pc without this device, the mouse still not working, but works with windows, DSL3.1, Ubuntu livecd, Puppy109CE.

Booting with the devices attached (modem & cam), and run puppyserialdetect, the program outputs the modem. but /etc/mousedevice is psaux.
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#31 Post by GuestToo »

what is in /etc/mousedevice ?

in mine, it is: psaux

what is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if you use Xorg) ?

in mine, it is:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto" #mouse0protocol
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection
a wheel mouse might use "imps/2" instead of "auto"
a non-wheel mouse might use "ps/2" instead of "auto"