What USB dongles work in Wary 5.5?

fuelish

What USB dongles work in Wary 5.5?

#1 Post by fuelish »

I want to connect Wary 55 (or Wary 53 different kernel) to the Internet. I would use another puppy to get connected but Wary runs OK on K6-2 400 256MB RAM.

Is there a USB adapter I can buy at Micro Center or failing that newegg? Something that will work OOTB or without NDIS wrapper.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is a difficult situation. Wary recognizes some USB WiFi adapters OOTB. But the adapter manufacturers are constantly changing chipsets. So if you looked for an equivalent model at Newegg today, it would probably not be recognized by Wary's old kernel.

To compound the problem, retailers rarely provide technical information like chipsets. You need to cross-reference the device at a site like wikidevi.com to see what kernel supports it.

However, I have compiled the rtl8192cu driver for Wary 5.3 and attached it below. It supports two devices that are available at Newegg - the Netis WF2120 and the TP-LINK TL-WN822N. I have tested both of these in Wary 5.3 and they are compatible.

But you can never be 100% certain if an adapter will work until you actually try it.

BTW, Wary 53 and Wary 55 have the same kernel - 2.6.32.59.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

I have searched around for such a thing for my soon to get raspberry pi not so toy anymore computer $35 bucks 8) and if you find one highly rated on Amazon for use in that device then it would be well supported in any linux, they have to be extra careful about added hardware since the firmware if needed by wifi adapter has to work for a different CPU arch. So most likely a true hardware wifi without the nasty firmware found in cheap USBs wifi for Windows. There was no difference in lowest cost mine was less than 10 USD and had thousands of reviews and 4+ stars

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

@Ted Dog -- Raspbian is a whole different ball game from Puppy. Apples and oranges, if only because both OSes are technically Linux. The 'under the hood' parts, however, are necessarily very very different indeed. I won't go into much depth here, except to say that any code operating on a Pi is necessarily quite alien to anything Puppy (with the sole single exception of PupPi, which appears to have been abandoned in pre-beta...).

@rcrsn51 -- I believe a couple of Rosewill branded adapters use that driver, too -- specifically the RNX-N150UBE and RNX-N600UBE. I'm not sure about the RNX-N150HG, except that it's too flaky by far to recommend. (IIRC, I'm not the only one who feels that way.)

*ahem*

Do be aware, fuelish, that your CPU and RAM limits are going to pose a severe bottleneck -- youtube at even the lowest settings is right out, as is really anything more intensive than a page with a simple static background, some text, and one or two short animated GIF images.

No, seriously, you'll be browsing like it's 1999...

This bottleneck is even worse than that sounds, as (from what I've heard) many/most USB WiFi adapters will not go above WiFi 'b' (11mbps ideal) when plugged into a USB 1.1 connector. Probably better, if you can, to go with a PCI model -- or name-brand CardBus from eBay, if the system in question is a laptop and supports such cards -- be careful, though, real PCMCIA is not compatible. You won't break anything, but you won't have a working card, either -- the slots are shaped internally so that you can't connect one to the other. There are dual-mode cards (be careful! they have a switch on them that must be set properly) but I've never heard of dual-mode WiFi cards... the one I have is a SCSI adapter for a CD drive.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you find some way of upgrading or replacing this system... the best I can suggest for the current box you've got there is to put it on eBay and hope for a collector, or if it's a desktop and you're feeling extra nerdy, put just the guts on eBay and use the case for an unorthodox bookshelf.

Good luck, though...

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

just checked Amazon.... FINALLY have Rasberry Pi at the same shipping + 35 dollar cost as the other US suppliers, ie 35 + 9 (shipping) = 44. (says free shipping over 35, so good time to pick up the other stuff to get a break on shipping ) may wait a few more weeks till they start to beat other bulk suppliers by a dollar..

true about apples and oranges, puppy's and raspberrie's but hardware should worked on the most problematic CPUS will always work BETTER on the less problematic CPUS,

I was talking about how to weed out tricky USBs, LIKE THE ONE YOU POSTED!!! STAY WAY FROM THAT CHIPSET!!!!!!!!!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ted Dog wrote: I was talking about how to weed out tricky USBs, LIKE THE ONE YOU POSTED!!! STAY WAY FROM THAT CHIPSET!!!!!!!!!
Are you talking about the rtl8192cu driver posted above? Then please explain why it works so well for me and other community members. I have been using it in Wary 55 for the last 30 minutes with zero problems.

If you have seen negative reports, they were probably due to using the in-kernel driver, which is well-known to be bad.

@starhawk: Neither of your Rosewill adapters are supported by Wary.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

I will explain if it takes an effort to get it to work ( see above post ) was the USB hardware working without the ADDED effort of .... prior to the 30 minutes before.

Again hope the original poster see that those USB WIFI talked about are NOT good choices due to extra effort required to get the hardware to work correctly!!

I think having many other LINUX people say a USB wifi is a good effortless driver well supported is a clear choice, I think the buy it to see if its crap idea of starhawk is short sighted.
He got burned by not doing the type of question/answer the original poster is doing.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Ted Dog: Please recommend an adapter that will work for fuelish in Wary. It must be available at the retail locations he has specified.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

@fuelish: No reply?

fuelish

#10 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51 wrote: To compound the problem, retailers rarely provide technical information like chipsets. You need to cross-reference the device at a site like wikidevi.com to see what kernel supports it.
That website looks useful but I couldn't find the kernel that supports TL-WN822N at wikidevi. I don't see it on TL-WN822N. What page is it on? Maybe I'll learn how to look stuff up there.
rcrsn51 wrote:However, I have compiled the rtl8192cu driver for Wary 5.3 and attached it below. It supports two devices that are available at Newegg - the Netis WF2120 and the TP-LINK TL-WN822N. I have tested both of these in Wary 5.3 and they are compatible.
You made that driver just for me? That was very kind of you, thanks. I'd ask how you make drivers but that would make a mess of this topic.
rcrsn51 wrote:But you can never be 100% certain if an adapter will work until you actually try it.
I found TL-WN822N at Microcenter and newegg. I'll run and get it soon.

I don't have high expectations for this computer's Internet browsing ability. But if it works at all I'll be happy. It does have USB 2 ports so that may help.
rcrsn51 wrote:BTW, Wary 53 and Wary 55 have the same kernel - 2.6.32.59.
Release notes for Wary say 53 is same kernel as 522 -2.6.32.45 uniprocessor kernel. To my uneducated eyes it looks close enough. I don't know what difference it makes. If I'm wrong I'll say it's a confusing page.

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

only recommendation is what to avoid.. :P as you or others pointed out cheapset manufacturers can not leave proven winners alone, so any recommendations for a piece of hardward is moot if OVER A month or so.. that is why internet and online places like Amazon and newegg etc with a ranking system and lots and lots of geeks ( preferred linux geeks ) are valuable. Look what the ratings backlash for cost did to the Raspberry 2 B+ :wink: on Amazon hundreds of geeks one stars drove the price in half in less than a month 8)

The orginal poster is doing the right thing RESEARCH.

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

a good site http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page

they have a listing for wifi note the model you gave has 3 versions only the first two are using a relatively good chipset the lastest version RTL is never a good choice.
Scroll down a bit. I have a TL model wifi from last year and I like it but it would not have the RTL chipset.

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ted Dog wrote:a good site http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page they have a listing for wifi note the model you gave has 3 versions only the first two are using a relatively good chipset
Will they work in Wary? Can you still buy them? Otherwise, this information is of no value to fuelish.
Scroll down a bit. I have a TL model wifi from last year and I like it.
It would help if you identified the actual model. Will it work in Wary?
but it would not have the RTL chipset.
Yet many community members have reported success with Realtek adapters.