Tahr NOP 6.0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
number698

#21 Post by number698 »

for me, was not needed in 'tahr' for kodi - but tried the 'devx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs' anyway.

no change - still nothing

witekjeden

Re: gprs-connect

#22 Post by witekjeden »

gray wrote:witekjeden :

I don't have a GPRS modem so I can't test, but I think you are right, there is a flaw in the pgprs-connect script. I believe that line 6 should have an & on the end before the #, i.e . /etc/ppp/gprs.conf & #130812...

Attached is the corrected script, just unzip and copy to /usr/bin
Pgprs still not working for me. Second problem expecialy for newbies: there is not the pgprs-setup into the Menu. Similar problems are in other derivatives example Lupusuper.
How to live? I was a very desperate and made a horrible enterprise: just extract any files pgprs from Quirky Tahr, next made a unofficial pet package. There is a old-looking pgprs but working.

https://yadi.sk/d/FzhveypDfMJRr

Sorry for my english crashes.

gray

issues

#23 Post by gray »

witekjeden : Ha, so the 'old' version of pgprs works ? But the new 'improved' version does not ? I am planning an update to T-NOP, perhaps I should revert pgprs ? (unless the original author can fix the new version).

number698 : I can appreciate that there are a lot of packages to sift through to re-establish Python - so I have pulled all the python files from the original tahr puppy and put them in one pet file.

Try tahr-python-2.7.pet from http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/

I should probably do a similar package for Qt ?

witekjeden

#24 Post by witekjeden »

A new version pgprs is not stable yet in my opinion. An old-looking versions i use since Puppy4.3.1, next Wary5.1.2, Slacko5.1.3, any problems newer hapend. I suggest implemented the old-looking pgprs while a new versions stay stable.

number698

Re: issues

#25 Post by number698 »

gray wrote: number698 : I can appreciate that there are a lot of packages to sift through to re-establish Python - so I have pulled all the python files from the original tahr puppy and put them in one pet file.

Try tahr-python-2.7.pet from http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/
nice, thanks gray,

installed pet, started kodi -

root# ./kodi
/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libcrystalhd.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

so went to ppm for 'libcrystalhd' and is was listed as already installled - reinstalled it - bingo, kodi now plays nicely. :-)

johnywhy

#26 Post by johnywhy »

hey y'alls

was very keen to try this new pup, since i cannot get xfce to work on tarh official 6.0.2, and lina-lite is unsatisfactory.
but sad when i read the OP that it uses an unstable xfce.
is that resolved?
or, any way to downgrade Tahr NOP to the stable xfce?

cheers, and many thanks
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#27 Post by johnywhy »

hi, just reporting:

puppy universal installer overwrote my stock tahrpup hard drive installation. Seems you did not insert "NOP" in places that would make it a separate frugal.
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Pelo

No need to delete anything, in my opinion

#28 Post by Pelo »

deleted all games, abiword, gnumeric, homebank, notecase, planner, geany, osmo, VLC, gstreamer, Qt, Python & more - but don't worry they can easily be added back to your pup with PPM.
Software is deleted to get ISO Weight lighter, i suppose.
Either we have an old computer with 512MB RAM, or a computer with a larger RAM (4GB)
No need to delete anything, in my opinion. 
Better would be removing 3D libraries (huge) because there are no applications for running them. 
If they are still users running Puppy Linux ( vs administrator root) these deleted stuff is what for puppy was a success. 
Let users remove what they dislike from the original Tahrpup 6.0.2 ! which is only 200MB
Adding XFCE will not make the Puppy much bigger.
see X-tahr here. (253MB all included)
Attachments
LibreOffice.jpg
Abiword is just enough, we don't need Libre Office for house works
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

Puppies for Goggle.

#29 Post by hamoudoudou »

those NOP Puppies are to get people using cloud apps, Google apps !
This NOP is based on Tahr 6.0.2 PAE (kernel 3.14.20) with the new XFCE 4.12 desktop.
Added ffmpeg, mplayer and Pwidgets 2.5.6 but deleted all games, abiword, gnumeric, homebank, notecase, planner, geany, osmo, VLC, gstreamer, Qt, Python & more - but don't worry they can easily be added back to your pup with PPM.

Discovered PuppyBang,
People from workshops don't spend time at night typewriting letters and calculating account balance. Well, but i prefer trim the fat myself than adding missing stuff that i need.
Why are these quite bareboned Puppies bigger than full featured 4.3.1 ?
Attachments
PuppyBang.jpg
What a distro !
(60.07 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times

johnywhy

#30 Post by johnywhy »

Personally, I love Tahr NOP. It's my favorite puppy OOTB. Because:

- xfce.
- recent puppy core.
- No Office (which I always remove).
- Slim.

hamoudoudou and pelo, if you don't like it, don't use it. There are plenty other puppies to choose.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Pelo

if we removed XFCE it would be lighter 183MB is too much.

#31 Post by Pelo »

if we removed XFCE it would be lighter 183MB is too much.
Puppies becomes sterile, they make up, but forget that they are made to distribute applications on a computer.
Santa Claus will offer your children just the parcel, just decorated with the wrapping Christmas paper. Up to them to go and make shopping if they want to play ? That give them freedom to choose, isn'it ?
And that life is easy for parents.
We want something inside the parcels, dear Puppy Builders !
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 09:08, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

Nothing agains XFCE, but a Puppy is not an empty shell

#32 Post by Pelo »

your saluki was needing some advertising since 2013, what i did in 2015. Its my XFCE puppy for my old laptop.
1640 puppies are still alive on the forum. Each user can find which one fits its needs, without knowing the minus programming line or terminal
Newbies, never chose barebones. :) once a browser installed, barebones is bigger than the standard Puppy.

johnywhy

Re: if we removed XFCE it would be lighter 183MB is too much.

#33 Post by johnywhy »

Pelo wrote:if we removed XFCE it would be lighter 183MB is too much.
Puppies becomes sterile, they make up, but forget that they are made to distribute applications on a computer.
Santa Claus will offer your children just the parcel, just decorated with the wrapping Christmas paper. Up to them to go and make shopping if they want to play ? That give them freedom to choose, isn'it ?
And that life is easy for parents.
We want something inside the parcels, dear Puppy Builders !
Who's "We"? Speak for yourself.

If you don't like tahr NOP, don't use it.
I don't know what you're saying. If you don't like xfce,don't use NOP. You want Office? Don't use NOP.

I love tahr NOP . I hope it gets more love and development.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

polekat

#34 Post by polekat »

nevermind
ed. for my stupidity
Last edited by polekat on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#35 Post by Sylvander »

I now have Tahr NOP 6.0.2 working well, and looking good, using ISObooter. :D
As follows:

1. Completed the necessary ISObooter steps, after copying the tahrNOP-2a_6.0.2.iso file to the 1st [FAT32] partition [sdb1] on my "Cruzer Edge 8GB" Flash Drive.
a. At 1st boot...
When I got to the desktop, it looked really good.
The black cat wallpaper, BUT...
No Pwidgets display, [no bar at the top?]
b. I had trouble making a pupsave file [no pupsave folder was offered].
I had made 2-FAT32 partitions [sdb1,sdb2], plus 1-ext4 [sdb3], auto-making sdb4.
I wanted to save to sdb3=ext4, and didn't know how to edit the ISObooter menu.lst to achieve that.
c. Eventually I figured out how to do it.
Re-arranged the partitions as follows:
1-FAT32 [sdb1], 1-ext4 [sdb2], [auto-making 3rd partition named sdb4! :? ], and changed menu.lst->psavemark=2.
That did the trick.
Now tahrnop was automatically making the save on sdb2=ext4, and offering the choice of pupsave file or folder.
I chose folder.
d. Now tahrnop was working just fine, BUT...
e. Fine was very different to what I saw originally.
There was now no black cat wallpaper [I fixed that by copying the jpg file for that image to the necessary folder, and specifying it as wallpaper].
f. There was now a very different look, and no longer as nice [anyone know why?], BUT...
e.g. Pwidgets was working.
g. I tweaked various settings to get it looking as I like it.
Looking and working well; very promising, this may become my number-1 Puppy.

johnywhy

#36 Post by johnywhy »

hi

Tahr NOP is my favorite puppy, for 2 reasons:

- no frills, minimal pre-installed software
- xfce

Is there another no-frills, xfce puppy under development these days?

thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Geoffrey

#37 Post by Geoffrey »

@johnywhy, this would be your best bet http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107313
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Pelo

X-Slacko Slim deleted useless, but keep useful

#38 Post by Pelo »

Geoffrey, X-Slacko Slim deleted useless, but keep useful . Nice ! Mistfire knew where to withraw useless MBs. Try it. It would be easy to do it with Taht (applications are around 10 MB in a puppy, but so useful for newbies)