Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1

Please post any bugs you have found
linuxcbon

#241 Post by linuxcbon »

kj4bnh wrote:Been with this distro since 7.0. Installed 7.0.1 then 7.0.2. The only "issue" is when running SM using the arrow keys to line up or down the screen blanks. This has been going on since 7.0. Any ideas?
Can you run seamonkey from the console and see if any error messages ? And also run dmesg ? Which video card and drivers do you use ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#242 Post by BarryK »

peebee wrote:
BarryK wrote:Although Quirky is intended for full installations, if you want to do a frugal install, without having to burn the .iso file to CD and boot the CD, yes, the files can be take directly out of the .iso file.

HOWEVER, read this:

You must use my script to do it, as explained here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... frugal.htm

Here is the script:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... lquirky.gz

I think that the script will work running any recent Puppy, Quirky or Fatdog.

Frugal install is OK, but do be aware that it loads totally into RAM, so you need at least 2GB RAM (though one tester has reported 1.5GB works).
It sure is fast though, running in RAM -- SM starts in 1 second.
I get kernel panic when I try to boot a frugal install of 7.0.2 using the above instructions.

I have tried using the install desktop icon from within 7.0.2 and also the separate installquirky script from Slacko6 - both frugal installs kernel panic on boot.

My grub4dos entry is:

Code: Select all

title April64 (sda4/test1)
  uuid 9bb32631-a1f9-425f-81bb-9f816347e8fc
  kernel /test1/vmlinuz  rootwait rw
  initrd /test1/initrd.q
installquirky when run in Slacko6 says:
./installquirky: line 268: popup: command not found

This is on my desktop with 4GB ram. The files sizes after install are:

# ls -s
total 531584
   440 initrd.q  527652 q.sfs    3492 vmlinuz
Oh, Slacko does not have 'popup'! -- oh, well remove Slacko from list. In that case, remove Fatdog also.

I have made a note, will have to edit 'installquirky' to use gxmessage or something else if popup not available.

You can click on the 'initrd.q' file, which will open it up, and it can then be edited and put together again.

Kernel panic... thinking what could cause that... if you open initrd.q, is there a file 'BOOT_SPECS' inside it?
Should be, and it should contain the variables BOOT_DEV, BOOT_FS and BOOT_FOLDER, set to appropriate values.

If not, then we have narrowed down the problem in the script.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#243 Post by BarryK »

Blackfish wrote:So, I decided to skip it altogether and just go download the 7.0.2 and reinstall on the partition with that Puppy, figuring that it might fix everything. But no love. The message on the Quirky Release Announcement page says to: "Download three files:
*.usfs.xz, sha1sums.txt, 4install-quirky-to-drive.gz."

I got the usfs.xz file for 7.0.2 downloaded, all right; but the sha1sums.txt file does not download, but only opens up when clicked; and the 4install-quirky-to-drive.gz file isn't even on the page. I had to do a search for another page to find that file and found this, which failed: http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... pril-6.94/

This is the page I used to get the usfs.xz file: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... ril-7.0.2/

It appears that I have the files, but they don't work when I try to run the script.

Do I need to look elsewhere for the necessary files? I don't understand what is happening here. Different files on different pages, and I don't know which ones to download. HELP!
7.0.1 and 7.0.2 are bug-fixes releases for 7.0.

For any missing files, look in the 7.0 release folder:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/april-7.0/

I expect that the next release will be 7.1, and I will then put all the files "together" again.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#244 Post by BarryK »

Blackfish wrote:Now, that's bizarre! I just loaded the 7.0 onto the partition and it, too, leaves me with no way to connect to the Internet. That's weird. Everything worked perfectly with the USB sticks, the install, connectivity, upgrade to 7.0.2--EVERYTHING! But when I install to partition, nothing seems to be working right and things are missing.

Workin' on it.
What distro are you running on, when you run '4install-quirky-to-partition'?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#245 Post by BarryK »

kj4bnh wrote:Been with this distro since 7.0. Installed 7.0.1 then 7.0.2. The only "issue" is when running SM using the arrow keys to line up or down the screen blanks. This has been going on since 7.0. Any ideas?
What Xorg driver are you using?

(if you run 'report-video' in a terminal, it should tell you? As will 'quicksetup')

Blackfish

#246 Post by Blackfish »

BarryK wrote:
Blackfish wrote:Now, that's bizarre! I just loaded the 7.0 onto the partition and it, too, leaves me with no way to connect to the Internet. That's weird. Everything worked perfectly with the USB sticks, the install, connectivity, upgrade to 7.0.2--EVERYTHING! But when I install to partition, nothing seems to be working right and things are missing.

Workin' on it.
Quirky 6.1.4

From one partition on my hard drive to another.

Maybe if I download the files to the fresh USB sticks and install from there I would be better off?
Last edited by Blackfish on Sat 21 Mar 2015, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

kj4bnh

#247 Post by kj4bnh »

BarryK wrote:

(if you run 'report-video' in a terminal, it should tell you? As will 'quicksetup')
Intel.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April, version 7.0.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1366x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: synaptics dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse present synaptics

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

Ted Dog

#248 Post by Ted Dog »

ohh first I heard of intel drivers having the problem usually AMD worst ( most common ) and NVIDIA ( less common ) Be sure to use the command given above for ACTUAL driver used, not just brand name from the back plate or label on machine.. There are three possible drivers which could be loaded two are not intel... Those are the generic ones of which I speak. please post all the letters before and after there is normally additional DOT somethings that why we know you ran the command for proper ID of video driver. If you do not see intel do not panic. give the name anyway.

Sorry for being a pain.. you need to be very accurate for resolution or work arounds. Now we know its intel hardware and really new or really old could be helpful do you know numbers or codes for your video chipset ( or computer model number for us to look it up ? ) intel is good about documenting whats what and has a helpful website lookup for techies.

Ted Dog

#249 Post by Ted Dog »

lol you posted as I was typing asking for more... that is helpful what you posted AS I typed... 8)

Ted Dog

#250 Post by Ted Dog »

bad news That problem you posted is Just the tip of the iceburg other distros have been reporting that corruption and poor playback and performance in general since 2010... Have not found a fix there may not be, like our site many marked issues as [SOLVED] haven't come across a solved yet for REV 9... with 6 major linux brands reviewed. :cry:

Ted Dog

#251 Post by Ted Dog »

left my computer chair for a nature call and I returned to find my dog refuses to move so I guess its her way of telling me enough go to bed its 1:20AM....

:lol:

Sage

#252 Post by Sage »

Curiosity won. Both 32 & 64bit run perfectly. FP v.10 in former, v.11 in latter. Yes, even SiS190 video chip (shared mem., too), AMD cpu - everything runs, even SM, my pet hate works. 32bit is very slow to boot into pfix=ram, liveCD with 1.5Mb, but OK when up. 64bit is fast to boot, lightning to run, even as liveCD.
Time to advance to ARM for tablets, smart phones, watches and - esp. Pi 2+ ? [Consider nuking the Wintel cartel - half of it is dying, anyway]. Just off to my Mandarin-4-beginners lessons.

peebee

#253 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:Kernel panic... thinking what could cause that... if you open initrd.q, is there a file 'BOOT_SPECS' inside it?
Should be, and it should contain the variables BOOT_DEV, BOOT_FS and BOOT_FOLDER, set to appropriate values.
Hi Barry

[SOLVED] thanks - I wasn't aware that the frugal install was specific to the name of the subdirectory it was installed into and had changed the subdirectory name before booting.

Is it possible to modify this behaviour with a boot cheat code like psubdir=xxx?

If so, it might be worth modifying the suggested grub4dos entry to include such?

Also might be worth having a small README put into the subdirectory to alert that the install is specific to that directory?

Only further thing to note is that my wifi connection via sns does not get re-established after a save and reboot - I have to manually reconnect.

The very much faster save is a definite improvement BTW.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture7941.png
(157.62 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Last edited by peebee on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

L18L

popup

#254 Post by L18L »

BarryK wrote:...
Oh, Slacko does not have 'popup'! -- oh, well remove Slacko from list. In that case, remove Fatdog also.

I have made a note, will have to edit 'installquirky' to use gxmessage or something else if popup not available.
gxmessage is not in Fatdog.
Maybe a one-liner like

[ `which popup 2>/dev/null` ] || popup () { [ "$DISPLAY" ] && Xdialog --msgbox "$1" 0 0 100000 || dialog --msgbox "$1" 0 0;  }
will help.

Jerror

#255 Post by Jerror »

After 7.0.2 was released, I PPM prompted me to install the Quirky7.0.1 to 7.0.2 service pack and the devx 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 service pack. I installed the Quirky service pack and rebooted, and now I'm not given the option to install the devx service pack. I tried another reboot, repository refresh, and the Quirky Version Upgrade Manager, but to no avail. I have devx 7.0.0 and the devx 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 sp. The 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 sp doesn't show in any package repositories. What's up?

Ted Dog

#256 Post by Ted Dog »

on too ARM... my Raspberry Pi is stuck in not yet shipped for the 4th day now! Looks like they will miss the lower end of shipping delivery time, sad the company is only 2miles away :shock:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#257 Post by BarryK »

kj4bnh wrote:
BarryK wrote:

Intel.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April, version 7.0.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1366x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: synaptics dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse present synaptics

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
The intel xorg driver is badly broken on my laptop, tearing effects, among many others.

I always change to the 'modesetting' driver. Just exit from X, run 'xorgwizard'.
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#258 Post by BarryK »

Jerror wrote:After 7.0.2 was released, I PPM prompted me to install the Quirky7.0.1 to 7.0.2 service pack and the devx 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 service pack. I installed the Quirky service pack and rebooted, and now I'm not given the option to install the devx service pack. I tried another reboot, repository refresh, and the Quirky Version Upgrade Manager, but to no avail. I have devx 7.0.0 and the devx 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 sp. The 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 sp doesn't show in any package repositories. What's up?
Ah ha, you have discovered a bug!

I have always installed both, before rebooting.
As you rebooted after installing the first, Quirky now thinks it is version 7.0.2, and does not realise the devx needs to be upgraded.

I will have to think of the best fix for that.

Anyway, if you download this and click on it, it should install:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... pril64.pet
or:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... -april.pet

BarryK
Puppy Master

#259 Post by BarryK »

I have embarked on a fascinating new project.

The frugal installer (for x86_64 Linux) is now (828KB):
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... irky.amd64

...that is, you must be running x86_64 distro to use it. I can easily build a x86 version.

This is a self-extracting archive, created with 'makeself':
http://www.megastep.org/makeself/

Just download 'install-quirky.amd64', set its execute flags, then click on it to run it.

What is different from the 'installquirky' script, is this is designed to run on just about any Linux distro. It has utilities bundled inside it, to make up for any lack in another distro.

Frugal install only for now, but I intend to make it a complete installer for Quirky, including downloading the .iso, or whatever file is appropriate.
Thus, the current scattered files and scripts and instructions will be replaced with just one application, with a nice GUI.

That's the plan anyway.

Note, if you want to find out what is inside the archive, after clicking on it, the GUI installer will start, then look for a folder /tmp/tmp*
That folder is removed when the installer exits.

Blackfish

#260 Post by Blackfish »

Blackfish wrote:
BarryK wrote:

Workin' on it.
Quirky 6.1.4

From one partition on my hard drive to another.

Maybe if I download the files to the fresh USB sticks and install from there I would be better off?
Booting and installing from the USB stick did not make any difference. Still no way to connect to the Internet.
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0