LxPupSc64 - 64bit version of Puppy with the LXDE desktop

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sszindian

Scanner

#61 Post by sszindian »

@rcrsn51

Installed the hplip_scan_fd600-3.14.4.pet and the foo2xxx_fd600-2014.04.26.pet from the FatDog Repo and that did the trick for the scanner (not really sure the foo2xxx was needed but since all is well I left it in)... works fine now, the print-function worked fine with the hplip package downloaded from the PPM so left that alone... 'BUT' let me ask you... how would any individual ever know this without the expertise you possess? 'AND' how can peebee address this issue in his build?

@peebee:

Deleted the .wt file, did the trick, back to testing.

Oh... before I forget, I installed conky and for the fun of it tried installing conky-switcher 03 I picked up somewhere. On startup the conky I installed briefly shows on the desktop--- it is in fact there but it's gone like a flash then any suggestions?

'Thanks all'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rcrsn51

Re: Scanner

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:not really sure the foo2xxx was needed but since all is well I left it in
Foo2xxx has nothing to do with HP scanners. Its purpose is described in the "How to Install your Printer" document.
how would any individual ever know this without the expertise you possess? 'AND' how can peebee address this issue in his build?
In many Puppies, the first screen of the CUPS Wizard provides a link to "How to Install your Printer".

When was the last time you saw the announcement of a new Puppy where there was ANY mention of a source for compatible print/scan drivers?

Moat

Re: Scanner

#63 Post by Moat »

sszindian wrote: On startup the conky I installed briefly shows on the desktop--- it is in fact there but it's gone like a flash then any suggestions?
Not sure, but I've experienced some conkys that did that because the conkyrc/config file was calling for a hardware process that didn't exist on the computer I was trying it on - usually i.e.; conky attempting to display 8-core CPU use on my 2-core laptop, or CPU temp on an older proc that didn't support temperature sensing, etc.

Usually, removing those particular incompatible code lines from from the conkyrc would allow the "rest" of the conky to function normally, and remain displayed.

FWIW!

Bob

sszindian

Conky

#64 Post by sszindian »

'Thanks Moat'

A simple change of one-line did the trick

own_window_type override

to

own_window_type normal

So conky-switcher works great in LXPup!

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Get mtpaint to print

#65 Post by sszindian »

To get mtpaint to print

Go to: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/500/

and download the file-

gtklp-1.2.8-amd64.pet

After installing, go to: mtpaint select file, select actions, select configure, select Print image on the dropdown list then change the command dialog-box from kprint %f to gtklp %f

Prints very nice! (remember to load something to print :D )

>>>---Indian------>

gcmartin

#66 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @PeeBee for this.

The DVD was tested on both a Touch DELL UEFI AIO PC and a desktop Dell non-UEFI PC with NO boot-time issues. Cleanboots, fast, with very Smooth operations. Sharing folders for LAN users is a snap (TVs accessing shared folder's videos operate without studder or issues).
Edited: Thought I show its impact after a day's use on my 1GB RAM PC

Code: Select all

sh-4.2# samba -V
Version 4.1.9
sh-4.2# free
                  total          used          free         shared      buffers
Mem:          1008144    828892       179252    210340        37864
-/+ buffers: 791028      217116
Swap:         4290556    133660      4156896
sh-4.2#
Edited: Updated the PPM2 and Installed Chrome browser. Flash instructions will be needed for existing browser.

Stable and Great!

sszindian

Multilib Files

#67 Post by sszindian »

peebee:

There are multilib files at-

http://gnu-linux-slackware.blogspot.com ... 2-bit.html

It is said that they will allow a 64-bit slackware program to run 32-bit applications. I tried to install them but a file it needs seems to be unavailable from LxPup64!

Any chance it can be checked out and maybe we can get a .pet made up of these multilibs so programs like Google Earth (and other 32-bit applications) can be run in LxPup64? (Unless of course there is a better way?)

>>>---Indian------>

peebee

Re: Multilib Files

#68 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:peebee:

There are multilib files at-

http://gnu-linux-slackware.blogspot.com ... 2-bit.html

It is said that they will allow a 64-bit slackware program to run 32-bit applications. I tried to install them but a file it needs seems to be unavailable from LxPup64!

Any chance it can be checked out and maybe we can get a .pet made up of these multilibs so programs like Google Earth (and other 32-bit applications) can be run in LxPup64? (Unless of course there is a better way?)

>>>---Indian------>
Hi sszindian

That looks pretty complicated - maybe somebody who knows what they're doing will step in to help.....??

Particularly Step 5:
5. upgrade your 64bit Slackware gcc and glibc packages to their multilib versions, !!!!!

A better way to my way of thinking would be to have a 32-bit frugal install specifically to run those apps when you need them.....

Does FatDog64 have this multi-lib capability?

Which library was missing in your tests?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sszindian

Multilibs

#69 Post by sszindian »

peebee wrote:
A better way to my way of thinking would be to have a 32-bit frugal install specifically to run those apps when you need them.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have lots of puppy's that will do that, just figured you wanted a LxPup64 that would be able to do it all?

peebee wrote:
Does FatDog64 have this multi-lib capability?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know, Fatdog is one I never tested, no reason, just never got around to it. But I have run many many other 64 bit distros and they all did Google Earth!!!

peebee wrote:
Which library was missing in your tests?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should have written it down but... didn't... Anyway it will show in the terminal if you do the very first command in those instructions at that website.

With this version of Lxpup64 we are only testing so far so I don't see where installing those multilibs would hurt to see what comes out of it, we can always start from fresh if something goes haywire, done it hundreds of times before. (of course this depends if we can ever get them installed)

>>>---Indian------>

peebee

Re: Multilibs

#70 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:Should have written it down but... didn't... Anyway it will show in the terminal if you do the very first command in those instructions at that website.
>>>---Indian------>
Ah - you definitely can't follow the commands given verbatim as they are based on the Slackware Package Manager which is very different to the Puppy Package Manager and tools and is not included in Slacko64 / LxPup64.

I believe that FatDog64-700 has moved over to using the Slackware PM system so the commands might work there.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 980#791980

You would need to work out what are the Puppy equivalents of lftp and upgradepkg. lftp looks to be a multi-file file download facility. upgradepkg installs a bunch of .txz files from a directory - .txz being the Slackware equivalent of .pets. Puppy can install .txz files one at a time but doesn't have the upgradepkg facility.

I've never personally discovered the need to run Google Earth.....on 32 bit or 64 bit

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gcmartin

#71 Post by gcmartin »

Very fast. Lots to love about this distro. FirstRUN, check taskbar for IP addr, Review & test apps. Browser to post this. Very smooth operations.

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz
Memory		    : 3916MB (207MB used)
Machine Type	: Physical machine
Operating System: LxPup64 - 15.03
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Wed 25 Mar 2015 06:37:11 PM EDT

-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
 Dell Dell KM632 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
 Fintek LPC SuperIO Consumer IR Transceiver
 MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (fintek-cir)
 Dell AIO WMI hotkeys
 Advanced Silicon S.A CoolTouch(TM) System
 Video Bus
 HDA Digital PCBeep
 PC Speaker
 Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_HD

-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop 
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation

-Video-
  Report Video 1.3 - Wed 25 Mar 2015 on LxPup64 15.03 - Linux 3.18.7 x86_64

Chip description:
    2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)  
    oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
    product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg  Driver used: intel
  X.Org version: 1.14.3
    dimensions:    1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
    depth of root window:    24 planes
Only minor comments:
  • Hardinfo on Menu>System>System
  • Geany on Menu>Document
  • Touch, OOTB, on this PC does not track. (Doesn't on FATDOG either, yet accurately does on LH64 and its derivatives.)
Thanks you very much, @Peebee.

gcmartin

Option to save session to DVD is missing.

#72 Post by gcmartin »

LxP64 does not acquire the SWAP partition at boot time.

Using the DVD, Booting on a UEFI PC and selecting option3 in bootmanager, the system does NOT offer the ability to create a save-session on the booting DVD.

Anyone else notice this.
Attachments
LxP64-BootManager.jpg
Boot selection
(23.78 KiB) Downloaded 791 times

gcmartin

#73 Post by gcmartin »

Sharing from this distro's content folder with my GoogleTV as well as to all other LAN units.
Thanks for adding version 4 SAMBA with contains the protocols needed for such.

jd7654

#74 Post by jd7654 »

This LxPup64 is a very nice and slick running Puppy.

I have it frugal installed on a USB drive to run on my ASUS Transformer book. The basic features work OK as far as what can be expected from this hardware. But one thing is a little strange:

The save file sometimes only seems to load partial information, if that makes sense or rings a bell? It's not consistent, random, maybe 1 in 3 boots. And it says it's loading the savefile but yet things are missing. Never seen this before with another puppy. I can tell right away when its one of the "bad" sessions when the bash history is gone when I open a terminal, and the wireless interface is up but no dhcp ip is obtained, but yet the browser history is still there.

I also have Fatdog64 frugal installed on this same USB drive, and it seems to loading the save file every time with all the previous settings.

peebee

LxPupApril64 update

#75 Post by peebee »

The .pets to make LxPupApril64 on Quirky-April-7.0.3-64 have been updated:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 762#831762

jd7654

Re: LxPupApril64 update

#76 Post by jd7654 »

peebee wrote:The .pets to make LxPupApril64 on Quirky-April-7.0.3-64 have been updated:

Is LxPup64 currently abandoned (due to status of Slacko64 base) and we should just work with LxPupApril64 pet instead?

peebee

#77 Post by peebee »

jd7654 wrote:
peebee wrote:The .pets to make LxPupApril64 on Quirky-April-7.0.3-64 have been updated:

Is LxPup64 currently abandoned (due to status of Slacko64 base) and we should just work with LxPupApril64 pet instead?
No - they are different beasts - LxPup is the more traditional Woof-CE build, LxPupApril is quite a bit different to install and save updates. I have also not been able to get pup-volume-monitor working for LxPupApril so device handling is definitely not as good.

I will update LxPup64 when it seems appropriate to do so....maybe 01micko will have time to fix the known issues at some point - or maybe 666philb's TahrPup64 will progress to become the base - who knows?

Cheers
peebee

jd7654

#78 Post by jd7654 »

peebee wrote: No - they are different beasts - LxPup is the more traditional Woof-CE build, LxPupApril is quite a bit different to install and save updates. I have also not been able to get pup-volume-monitor working for LxPupApril so device handling is definitely not as good.

I will update LxPup64 when it seems appropriate to do so....maybe 01micko will have time to fix the known issues at some point - or maybe 666philb's TahrPup64 will progress to become the base - who knows?

Cheers
peebee

Thank you for your explanation.

Aside from any of Barry's stuff, I prefer your LxPup family line. It runs and feels like Puppy and is lightweight. Many of the xfce spins add weight, or other versions function differently, but your LxPup stuff looks just as good and works better.(to me)

gcmartin

#79 Post by gcmartin »

I quite like LxPup64. Unlike some other recent Puplets, it does provides things like Samba servers or WiFi managers. So users, particularly new users do NOT have to bother with items to ease their use in the homes. And it uses a version of SAMBA that recognizes every LAN device including all smartDevices which talk to MS/Apple of late.

Experienced users know how to manage these should they need to manually get involved.

It would be my recommendation for one of the existing 64bit Puppy for its ease of use, its matching services normally found in Apple and the upgrades it provides in PPM2 among others (MTP).

Thx again @PeeBee for your foresight and your step to demonstrate an PUP for ALL community users. You, @01Micko, @StemSee, @Dry Falls, @BarryK, @Exton, and the list continues in providing full-functioning, easy-to-use that makes it simple for new users to step into these systems with little to no knowledge to get system useful. And, yet, its structured to all the experience user to set their controls necessary to match their advance knowledge in implementations.

Looking forward as this expands opportunity in its use on 64bit PCs which are a decade old now. These expanded bus and RAM systems afford easy evolution in PUPs as we are seeing. LAN services, wireless services, Touch, Package management, Virtualization, etc.

Please continue to provide ease of use for the new and the experienced home and home network users, as you have here.

gcmartin

#80 Post by gcmartin »

Issue 1 - Flash
Flash via Menu>Internet>Internet>GetFlash yields:

Issue 2 - CPU Reports discrepancies
Reporting differences system sensor report vs pmcputemp task bar agent

▶—— CPU Temperature ——◀

Phys 0 (coretemp) : +46.0 C (high = +85.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 0 (coretemp) : +43.0 C (high = +85.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 1 (coretemp) : +39.0 C (high = +85.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)

▶—— CPU Frequency ——◀

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz
Max Speed: 2900 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2894 MHz, 1:2900 MHz
Core Count: 2

Frequency governor   : powersave
Freq. scaling driver : intel_pstate