Windows Secure Boot .... it's back!

For discussions about security.
wboz

Windows Secure Boot .... it's back!

#1 Post by wboz »

Yes boys and girls, Microsoft is now saying that OEMs will have the choice to include OR NOT include the off switch for secure boot.

I stopped following secure boot details after it was found that you could actually just turn it off. I know there were some Linux distros that were able to work with secure boot, but that it was difficult to develop. I would not like to live in a world where smaller distributions were unable to afford the investment and were squeezed out.

However I also think it's likely that there will be two "outs":
1) Some - perhaps many - OEMs will keep the secure boot switch in place. Not many customers even care, the ones that do want secure boot disableable, and there doesn't seem to be any benefit in locking the device in secure boot. There may be some corporate IT needs for the switch, too (not sure). We'll probably end up in a situation where, if you want options, you'll be wanting to make sure you buy from one of the RIGHT OEMs who leave it open :)
2) You can always go deeper and deeper into the machine to find a workaround, and someone will -- I assume there will be flashable firmware at some point for most common machines.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... a-reality/

In other news, I am actually excited for Windows 10. For other reasons of course :)

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

As a heavy Windows 7 user, I am not impressed by Windows 10 at all.

EDIT: It may be advertised as free, but the upgrade consumes both electricity and bandwidth that the user will have to pay for.

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

I am at best jaded about this decision. No switch may mean better relationship between M$ and OEM as a 'dedicated partner'.

I see this as a Caveat Emptor situation, ask the question before buying the MoBo.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Yep, let the OEM choose, I'm sure M$ will give them price discounts to point those manufacturers to the RIGHT choose, M$ will have a backlash out. Clever but stupid, M$ is playing all the angles, wonder what the idea to lock up the Raspberry PI, free M$ software raised all kinds of alarm bells for me.
I think a generation shift will kill M$, cheap and unencumbered hardware is real and growing 'no brainer' choice for the younger people without a strong dominate history of Microsost.
I was really shocked by the lack of home broadcasting TV watching by 25 and younger.

wboz

#5 Post by wboz »

I don't predict the same thing you do, Ted Dog. Although, I admit you could easily be as right as I could be wrong! I think Microsoft is on the verge of a resurgence. They have seen the threats from iPad, Android, Chromebooks and are responding. The new OS looks like it's going to provide a lot of useful features and the scalability by device size is something all new for MS.

The discounts ... or other incentives .. to turn the switch off is I admit a threat.

I am not young enough, quite, to be a "Millennial" but in my daily outlook I do align with them. I use the best tool for the job. Windows has a lot of (obvious) strong points, and quite frankly Windows 7 while dated is a good workflow tool on my work computer. if they fill in the weak points I will consider paying a small premium to use it. Not on all my computers, by any means. But as/if needed. Currently lusting over a Lenovo Yoga 2 8in with AnyPen, although I couldn't tell you why. Certainly not going to be running Adobe Lightroom on that thing :D

Regarding TV, I stuck the TV in a box in the basement when bebe was born. We don't miss it, and we wouldn't want her to watch it anyway. Everything comes over the Interpipe now ... and I'm looking at routers today as a result, Netgear's N300 for $40 will run Tomato and be a big upgrade over the Netgear 54 currently in use :D

If you are into something I have heard of called "watching sports" then I think people do still watch the TV. But that's for simpletons, obviously.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

Nope us sports watching folks are awaiting the interesting DishNetwork Idea, drop the local carry of TV stations, and rebrand the service to Dish out sport packages via internet, Unlike movies on demain they would multicast live sports to a 'device' real time, the lack of need for massive storage and bandwidth would drop to easy to support, 'device' would have the regional blackouts supported etc. It would also do a service like those already existing for Dish people to get ondemand from the upgraded packages.
I have a Dish receiver for my RV that gets used a few times a year, on a month for month pay, I would pay a low monthly fee to watch sports on it, and JUST sports!

bark_bark_bark

#7 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Offtopic:

Would there be a difference in performance between Windows 7 32bit and Windows 7 64-bit on PC with a 3.2GHz LGA775 P4 and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

When I was a kid I watched TV. In my mid-50's, I don't care about TV at all.
Pop a DVD in and watch a movie is one thing, "commercial TV" is quite another.

But here's a thought... that other old-fashioned device radio allows me to hear a sporting event while looking at my 'puter screen doing things like this, or editting a letter, spreadsheet, etc.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

Even if the manufacturer decided to hardwire a PC to no bypass of secure boot and I wanted to run Linux on such a PC, I would install VMware or virtualbox and run Linux on a virtual machine.
Of course if enough people refuse to purchase a new PC set up with a no bypass switch, the sellers will get the message.
Along the same lines, IE (Internet Explorer) is on the way out. But will the replacement browser be any better?
IE on my PC will next to lock up while retrieving page content on a site and still has had instances of "Internet Explorer has stopped working" messages.