Installing newer .deb packages in older pups

Core libraries and systems
cimarron

Installing newer .deb packages in older pups

#1 Post by cimarron »

I noticed today that Debian (and Ubuntu) packages apparently switched to using xz compression sometime after Precise puppy came out. I could not install (or open) the newer Debian packages. The package manager would just throw an error.

The solution seems to be updating dpkg-deb (in /usr/bin). Dpkg-deb version 1.16.15 or newer can handle the xz compressed .deb packages. This is, of course, for Debian or Ubuntu-based puppy versions only.

NOTE: This dpkg-deb has a dependency of liblzma.so.5 which is in Precise (in /usr/lib), but apparently not in some other older pups. If you need it, a .pet is provided here.
Attachments
dpkg-deb_1.16.15_i386.pet
Installs newer dpkg-deb in /usr/bin
(52.95 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
Last edited by cimarron on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

yes I found this out too...in my case I was testing with Lucid so that dpkg-update can be used on there.

Ironically the deb of the update of dpkg-deb that works on lucid was not unpackable with Lucid :D

mike

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ironically the deb of the update of dpkg-deb that works on lucid was not unpackable with Lucid
GZ compressed package.
Attachments
dpkg-deb_1.16.15_i386-gz-compression.pet
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

cimarron

#4 Post by cimarron »

You don't mean the .pet I supplied is xz, do you? I just used dir2pet to make it, and didn't select xz compression.

Maybe you mean the dpkg .deb package you originally tried?

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

Is xz compression support a kernel feature? I wonder if this update will work in wary whoose kernel, I know, does not support xz compression.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Maybe you mean the dpkg .deb package you originally tried?
yes sorry for the confusion... I grabbed it from debian sid backports ... seems they had a newer version than lucid IIRC..I tend to do things and then forget :D

Not sure if dpkg-deb handles xz itself or uses shared libs/kernel...though I could open the debs in slax 6 which is considerably older.

Mike

shomon

liblzma.so.5

#7 Post by shomon »

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a website that needs the php5-oauth library. So I downloaded the corresponding .deb file and petget gave me the xz error which brought me to this thread. I'm now trying to figure out the following error:
# petget php5-oauth_1.2.3-1+b1_i386.deb
dpkg-deb: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dpkg-deb: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
EXIT="OK"
I can't figure out if that's dpkg-deb that needs it or if it's a missing dependency for oauth, and in ppm liblzma gives a download error. Should I get both of these as .debs?

Thanks!

Ale

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

yep dpkg-deb wants the lzma lib

Hopefully you dont need xz to get the dependency...one gets into a bit of a catch 22 with this...shame they felt the need to change the format

mike

cimarron

#9 Post by cimarron »

Yes, liblzma.so.5 is listed as a dependency for this dpkg-deb. Precise pup has it already.

Here's a .pet with liblzma.so.5 from Precise (it places it in /usr/lib); you can see if it works for you.
Attachments
liblzma5.pet
dependency liblzma.so.5 for dpkg-deb
(76.8 KiB) Downloaded 529 times