Partitioning, mounting questions (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie

Partitioning, mounting questions (Solved)

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi all - I have puppy 1.04 running finally after 15hours of troubleshooting, and going through a lot of freakin' problems, none of them too bad, except that deducing that your cmos battery is dying sometimes takes real detective work, and using the bios is a bit whaky when you don't always know quite what you're doing :) Actually puppy has always been fine, its the hardware setup that took the time :)

Anyway - I am ready to do a hard-drive install as I am now trying to use Puppy as much as possible and phase out my other operating systems.

Lots of good info on the wiki and forums for this and I know it should really be a no brainer - my problem is I can see
hdc1 and hdc5, and hdc6 on the load up and mount hdc1 and hdc6 using the mounter utility and see them using rox (hdc5 isn't fomatted yet but was planning on making it ext2 - dunno enough about linux swap yet or if I need one)

but when I use rxvt which has the cfdisk utility I'd like to start getting used to its only picking up my hda1 drive and if I type /mnt/cdrive which is where rox says hdc1 is I just keep getting this permission denied message

I tooled around with rox's permissions popup menu to no avail..

so help with the permissions thing, please or tell me what I'm doing/thinking wrong
and also any partitioning suggestions? should I have a swap file? advantages of having it?

Thanks for any assistance, folks
Mark

AMD athlon something (old), speed 1196 from xproc
integrated sis components
288mB ram - xproc shows 272836kB (272mBish for some reason)
maxtor 7345at 330mB drive (where pup001 resides for now)
one samsung sv2002h 20gB drive (3 partitions so far, 1 unformatted, 2fat32)
1 new puppy
grub soon......

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

I am gonna suggest a quite radical solution but also quite simple. Put another distro on the Hard Drive and boot from CD Puppy.

It is what I do (Using Ubuntu) and I must say it works well. A swap file is not essential for Puppy if you have sufficient ram. However most distros (all apart from the tiny floppy based ones and embedded ones as far as I am aware) use an essential HD (Ubuntu sets up the HD for you incidentally) swap file as an extended (but slower) memory storage device.

Use the
Rute guide
to develop skills (google it).

Free Fedora (USA only) and Ubuntu CD's (worldwide) can be obtained from links here under OS
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/Resources

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

ok.....

the command should be

cfdisk /dev/hda for the 1st hdd (usually primary drive on IDE0 )
cfdisk /dev/hdb for the 2nd hdd (usually secondary drive on IDE0 )
cfdisk /dev/hdc for the 1st hdd (usually primary drive on IDE1 )
cfdisk /dev/hdd for the 2nd hdd (usually secondary drive on IDE1 )

/dev/hda1 /dev/hdaxx refer to the partitions

so cfdisk /dev/hda1 will give you an error

so to recap

/dev/hda refers to the whole drive regardless if it is partitioned or not, whereas /dev/hda1 refers to an actual partition

and of course cfdisk can not be used on a directory.......

eg /mnt/hdc

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

> Anyway - I am ready to do a hard-drive install as I am now trying
to use Puppy as much as possible and phase out my other operating systems.

Smart move

> ...my problem is I can see
hdc1 and hdc5, and hdc6 on the load up and mount hdc1 and hdc6 using
the mounter utility and see them using rox (hdc5 isn't fomatted yet but was
planning on making it ext2 - dunno enough about linux swap yet or if I need one)

I think you should make a swap partition,
because some programs swap things there,
even if you have enough memory. But you
could get by without one, considering the
amount of RAM you have.

> but when I use rxvt which has the cfdisk utility I'd like to start getting used to its only
picking up my hda1 drive and if I type /mnt/cdrive which is where rox says
hdc1 is I just keep getting this permission denied message

This is undersandable if the partition is not in fstab and I don't think it is.

Also, /mnt/cdrive is not an acceptable command. Shudda been:
  • # mount /mnt/cdrive
Here are some examples how to mount hard disk devices:
  • # mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/mountpoint
    # mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc5 /mnt/mountpoint
    # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/mountpoint
where 'mountpoint' is the name of the available directory under /mnt
where # is the prompt

one can make a mountpoint just about anywhere, see this example
  • # mkdir /root/hda1
    # mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /root/hda1
> I tooled around with rox's permissions popup menu to no avail.. So help with the permissions thing, please or tell me what I'm doing/thinking wrong
and also any partitioning suggestions?

We all make mistakes.

> should I have a swap file? advantages of having it?

I am a swap file avocate.

As far as partitioning here are my recommendations:
  • 1) partition magic (not free)

2) system rescue disk (free .iso download)
    use qtparted for a graphical partitioner

3) use other utilities, there are many
    • I've used MS fdisk to make the unformatted primary, extended and logical partitions.

Aefdisk (free DOS downloadable utility) to tell it what type of partition it wants to be. Example: 82 for swap and 83 for Reiserfs, Ext3 Ext2

Then when you install your distro, it usually likes to format the install partition as part of the install process.

Not to mention cfdisk because bladehunder already showed you how to get it going.

raffy

Which one?

#5 Post by raffy »

Guess you would know which one of your hard disk is master and which one is slave. cfdisk automatically brings up the master (hda) - and i mean those drives in the "primary" cable slot.

Things will be easier if you will install Puppy in the master, although just understanding the naming system as explained above will help, too. Should the space be tight, you may skip swap file creation, as your memory is already more than 200 MB (for running Puppy, that is).

You may find some more info useful here

http://ph-islands.net/pupinstall/
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

sulemasc

using cfdisk, and permission denied message in rxvt

#6 Post by sulemasc »

Thanks so much for all the input Lobster, Bladehunter, Bruce B, and Raffy! - I realized I posted originally as a guest .. anyway I will look into the links and posted info, do some reading, and some fiddling, probably some more fiddling, and I will post my hd install results whenever they arrive for others info.

I have soo many questions but that's because there are soo many new apps to figure out - but the challenge is fun :)
Lets see how long this one'll take...
Mark
(Puppy admirer)

Bancobusto

#7 Post by Bancobusto »

Welcome to the forums sulemasc! Have fun figuring it all out - and be aware that this may in fact be one of the most newbie-friendly, all-round enjoyable places on the internet to learn some Linux basics...

I learn new things every day here - and hope that you will too!

Cheers :D
Freedom isn't just a Puppy-Linux forum member!

sulemasc

Partitioning, mounting questions

#8 Post by sulemasc »

Now it all makes sense to me - just wanted to close this thread by saying again, thanks for the links all, I think the cfdisk commands are needed by many, as well as the mk2fs, mkswap ones.

There are better links to all my questions in this thread - it didn't have enough focus - as most "what the _ is going on" posts have a sense of urgency to them. To all who read, remember - search the forum, the wiki, linuxquestions.org as well as other links in this thread. My questions are answered for this thread. End.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Mark
(puppy admirer)