(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Sep 2020, 11:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 55 of 99 [1481 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2015, 01:47    Post subject:  

Hi, Keisha.
Quote:
It took me a few days to figure out the AMD Catalyst (fglrx) driver!

It will save time and help others if you can add something more (when you have time) to the information we have here about fglrx driver:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=791519#791519
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=798674#798674
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=798838#798838

Toni

Keisha

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2015, 04:22    Post subject: fglrx in DebianDog Jessie  

I was afraid you would ask me that Laughing

First I brought /etc/apt/sources.list up to the current jessie sources and then I did apt-get update.

Next I did this, according to dpkg --list. I downloaded and installed everything you find by searching fglrx in synaptic. I've done some abbreviating:

amd-opencl-icd:i386 1:14.9+ga14.201-2. i386 AMD OpenCL ICD Loaders
ocl-icd-libopencl1:i386 2.2.3-1. i386 Generic OpenCL ICD Loader
fglrx-atieventsd 1:14.9+ga14.201-2.i386 events daemon
fglrx-control 1:14.9+ga14.201-2. i386 control panel (amdcccle)
fglrx-driver 1:14.9+ga14.201-2. i386 the fglrx non-free driver
glx-alternative-fglrx 0.5.1.i386 allows the selection of FGLRX as GLX provider
libfglrx:i386 1:14.9+ga14.201-2.i386 non-free runtime libraries
libfglrx-amdxvba1:i386 1:14.9+ga14.201-2.i386 AMD XvBA runtime libraries
libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386 1:14.9+ga14.201-2. i386 proprietary libGL
libgl1-fglrx-glx-i386 1:14.9+ga14.201-2.i386 ATI/AMD binary OpenGL 32-bit libs
(there are two listings for libgl1-fglrx-glx in synaptic, I installed both of them, so I presume the second one (-i386) is the one that's effective)
xvba-va-driver 0.8.0-9. i386 XvBA-based backend for VA API (AMD fglrx)

(When you're running synaptic, click to see the details, otherwise there is a screen which expects an OK answer and you'll wait forever)

Still it wasn't right, so I looked at the official package listing for
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/fglrx-driver
If memory serves, there is one dependency listed there which does not show up in synaptic. I downloaded and installed *all* the listed dependencies (downloaded in Firefox, not synaptic) from the Debian repository, using thunar+right click+install deb to install each. You should probably do this before you run the synaptic gets, listed above.

Then, I reinstalled
downloaded in Firefox, installed using dpkg -i

Finally, to get fglrx.ko, you need to install the linux kernel source and headers, then the module source fglrx-modules-dkms...and I think you would do best to google the procedure from there...

This produced a working fglrx, but it's sluggish and lacks DRI.

To cure the sluggishness (and also, to cure a crash of Google-Chrome if you use it), you must update xserver-xorg-core to 1.16.4, and I simultanously updated all the xserver-xorg .deb's to current jessie, along with x11-xserver-utils.

Then,

apt-mark hold x11-xserver-utils
apt-mark hold xfce4-panel
(if you update xfce4-panel the system tray goes over to the left, I don't know how to cure that)
apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-*

The absence of DRI, happens because Catalyst (fglrx) expects to find the dri modules-set in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri but the Debian DRI provider
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 10.3.2-1 i386 free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
puts them in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri, so you must open one rox-filer window on /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, another on /usr/X11R6/lib/modules (first you must create this subdirectory path), then drag'n'drop the dri subdirectory from the former into the latter and choose Link (relative).

Let's see, there were a few other tricks. I hope I can remember them.

If memory serves, the libGL.so and/or libGL.so.1 in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu ends up still linked to the ordinary openGL lib, so instead copy /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/fglrx/fglrx-libGL.so.1.2 out into the subdir above (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu) and change the libGL.so and libGL.so.1 links to point to it. I also made libGL.so.1.2 and libGL.so.1.2.0 be symlinks to fglrx-libGL.so.1.2 as well, just to be sure.

There is a silly symlink-to-a-symlink:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libglx.so is a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/glx--linux-libglx.so
but
/etc/alternatives/glx--linux-libglx.so
is itself a symlink as well, to
/usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx-libglx.so

So I made
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libglx.so
be a symlink directly to /usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx-libglx.so

It seems odd that both /usr/lib/fglrx and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/fglrx exist, but who am I to question the gods at AMD?,--or, maybe I created the /usr/lib ones myself during failed early attempts to install--so I made sure that their contents duplicate each other's with the newest versions where there was overlap. Likewise with /usr/lib/dri and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri...just because I'm the kind of guy who likes to wear both a belt and suspenders.

I also ended up adding
libGLEW1.10:i386 1.10.0-3 i386
but I don't remember why. Maybe so it runs glxgears?

Oh, I almost forgot --after the first time you install fglrx-driver, run

aticonfig --initial
# the above sets up /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and then after you get a working Catalyst, run
aticonfig --od-enable
aticonfig --px-dgpu
aticonfig --odgc
#the above shows you the range of core and memory MHz available
#and then for my r7 260X I set it to 1000 MHz core 1500 MHz memory
aticonfig --odsc 1000,1500
aticonfig --odcc
# the above means --commitclocks, so it remembers the odsc at bootup.

You still need to run
aticonfig --od-enable
aticonfig --px-dgpu
every time at X startup. I put them in a script in /root/Startup:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#start-ati.sh to turn on the r7 260X video card
aticonfig --od-enable
sleep 1
aticonfig --px-dgpu
sleep 1
aticonfig --odsc 1000,1500

The result is shown below.

Catalyst does not run as well on DD-Jessie as it does on both upup-raring-3.9.9.1 and Tahr-Pup 6.0.2.

In the latter two, there is no hint of ghosting when I drag'n'wave a window around, none whatsoever. And smooth-scrolling in Firefox is absolutely flawless, no jerkiness whatsoever.

In DD-Jessie, there is a small amount of ghosting. This is true even though I set tear-free to yes and I have a 144Hz gaming monitor.

Also, scrolling in firefox is not as smooth with fglrx as it is with the open source ati drivers. And the ati drivers are not as smooth as the intel drivers (I have an i3570k cpu, it has the integrated graphics).

The open-source free ati driver has very little ghosting and not much smooth-scroll jerkiness in Firefox but still is not as good as removing the video card and using the cpu+motherboard's own onboard Intel video with the intel dri and glx (mesa) drivers.

In fact, the jerky scrolling with fglrx in Firefox is a severe annoyance (I hasten to add: Google Chrome has no jerkiness whatsoever).

The main reason I'm keeping fglrx and not returning to the motherboard+cpu's onboard Intel graphics is, the amd-opencl-icd ICD loaders are necessary in order to run my bitcoin software, which employs the gpu as a massively parallel hashing engine.

Hardinfo result, abbreviated:
-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Version : 1.16.4
-Monitors-
Monitor 0 : 1920x1080 pixels
-Extensions-
--blah blah blah--
-OpenGL-
Vendor : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer : AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Version : 4.4.12968 Compatibility Profile Context 14.201.1006.1002
Direct Rendering : Yes

root@dog:$ glxgears
718 frames in 5.0 seconds = 143.414 FPS
715 frames in 5.0 seconds = 142.885 FPS
718 frames in 5.0 seconds = 143.435 FPS
717 frames in 5.0 seconds = 143.222 FPS
719 frames in 5.0 seconds = 143.571 FPS
716 frames in 5.0 seconds = 142.974 FPS

(it's a 144Hz monitor, so it's locked to the frequency)

Screencap attached, of amdcccle.

HTH,
Mike
2015-03-29-005852_710x589_scrot.png
 Description   Catalyst Control Center under DD-Jessie
 Filesize   84.08 KB
 Viewed   661 Time(s)

2015-03-29-005852_710x589_scrot.png

Last edited by Keisha on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 04:22; edited 6 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2015, 04:47    Post subject: Re: fglrx in DebianDog Jessie  

Keisha wrote:
I was afraid you would ask me that Laughing

I'm glad I did, Mike Wink
Your troubles with fglrx driver for Jessie will be very useful for others later.
I will add link to your post in howto-fglrx post.
Thank you!

Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2015, 11:55    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

I think we have some problem with dpkg package version-1.17.23(24) in Jessie and Sid. Or something in DebianDog does not work well with dpkg latest version but I doubt that...

Can you confirm the same testing result in your Jessie-OpenBox latest iso:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install gtkam ###or any not installed package name

Then check /live/cow/var/lib/dpkg and search for available-old and updated available.
Both missing for me with Jessie and Sid. I can even install programs without having /var/lib/dpkg/available file (missing available will break dpkg/apt install process in Wheezy for sure).
I think I have solution for this problem by replacing /usr/bin/dpkg and dpkg-statoverride from ubuntu package but I need some time to test it properly. And confirmation you have the same problem or it is one more mistery that does not work for me only Smile

Edit: This is the quick fix for me - install this dpkg_1.17.24_i386.deb
and prevent upgrade with:
Code:
apt-mark hold dpkg

Toni

kazzamozz

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2015, 18:16    Post subject:  

HI Toni
Are you currently working on DebianDog SID as I cannot download your latest ISO.
Forbidden

Quote:
You don't have permission to access /saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-SID/DebianDog-SID-jwm_icewm.iso on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.6 Perl/v5.10.1 Server at kazzascorner.com.au Port 80

Plan to look at when it's quiet at work : DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox-3.16.0-4-686-pae.iso
Systems:
Dell XPS (will post hardware up after testing)
Saltellite Pro ( will post hardware up after testing)
Epson Printers WF7520 & WF3520
LG Monitors 27" with Bluetooth capacity and built in graphics card (will post specs up after testing)

I won't list everything here as I have a lot of hardware at the office I can test this out on and report back how well it works. I have mainly NVIDIA graphic cards but one of the systems does have the crappy Radeon which I got to work in FoxyRoxy with XBMC (Kodi). I'll let you know how that goes but will do that last.

Cheers

Kazza
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 01:11    Post subject:  

Hi, Kazza.
Download should work now:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-SID/DebianDog-SID-jwm_icewm.iso
md5sum:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-SID/md5sum.txt
I was waiting to find better fix for dpkg issue first but it is not very important at this point.
I will test it few more days before opening separate thread for Sid. I'm sure some more things will need fixing.
Thanks, and test only when you have time, please.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 03:29    Post subject: small version of 'Motion' for DebianDog
Subject description: the tar.gz installs to /opt/apps hierarchy to avoid any dpkg issues

Hi Toni, Fred and all,

Been working on an old favourite I enjoy playing with: Motion webcam/video motion detector program. It's a really great program which I find simple to set up and use and it's very versatile as you probably know. Can even be used in daemon mode. Can also be used to trigger the startup of other apps (such as, for example, commandline audio recorder, and commandline email programs and the like):

http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

Personally, I am generally myself only interested in generating a series of jpeg images whenever webcam/video motion is detected (rather than continuous .avi) since I find streams of jpegs the most useful for low resource video surveillance use, and no heavy ffmpeg is required to generate them so works well on even old slow computers. The generated jpegs can always be stitched together into avi form later anyway. Also, via simple scripting, any motion-detected jpegs generated can be stored in any desired directory and then auto-uploaded via email, or whatever, whenever required.

Unfortunately, the version of motion that can be downloaded from the Debian repositories is large (tens of MB uncompressed) since it requires ffmpeg to be installed and more besides. However, since I do not require .avi generation nor mysql database backend, I have compiled latest motion without ffmpeg or mysql support. The result is an otherwise complete version of motion that is only around 350kB uncompressed (105kB as tar.gz) with no extra dependencies on clean DebianDog (so might even be a nice addition to the basic iso or at least a simple small addon).

I compiled it from the latest 3.2.12 svn trunk, accepting the default /usr/local/ install directories but repackaged it under DebianDog /opt/apps and /opt/bin hierarchy (with motion.conf configuration file in /root/.motion and /etc/skel/.motion). Assuming you have a working webcam and are interested in trying it out you can download the installation package as a tar.gz (install to /) from my google drive account here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OGZGfTnGJAaGRDRFhTZmdDcEk/view?usp=sharing

I didn't make any deb out of it because I was concerned not to upset dpkg official motion installs. I'll leave any deb making of this, should you prefer that, to you dpkg experts!

Motion is very easy to basically use. Just open a terminal and enter command:

Code:

motion

and assuming your webcam works the program will start generating jpeg images whenever a 'motion event' is detected (the terminal output also alerts you to that occurring). Can use Ctrl-C at the terminal to stop it. As a start situation, in order not to invisibly clutter up the user's home directory with generated jpegs I have edited motion.conf configuration file to make the target directory for the jpegs /tmp/motion. In practice, the user should edit that later to wherever they prefer the motion detect images to be stored prior to further processing such as emailing them.

Summary:

untar to /
enter 'motion' at commandline
and look in /tmp/motion to find the motion detect generated jpegs

To modify defaults, just edit $HOME/.motion/motion.conf

You can also read the huge motion guide here (if you are that keen...):

http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionGuide

Might be worth creating a gtkdialog or yad user-friendly configuration frontend for this. vovchik found a great wee command line smtp email program some years back, which works great with motion. I'll look that out for DebianDog sometime.

Note that I have as yet only quickly tested this compiled version on Wheezy DebianDog jwm.

Hopefully, I've set up the download link correctly. Let me know if you have any problems.

Summer is almost over in this part of the world so hopefully I'll soon find time to read up on all the many DebianDog developments you have been doing these past few months! :-)

William.

saintless

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 05:03    Post subject:  

Hi, William.
Thanks, the download works for me. I will test it tonight and it will be useful tool (for old hardware with sure). I will post test results and deb package in the next day or two.

Quote:
Summer is almost over in this part of the world...

Will be summer here soon Smile

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 05:36    Post subject:  

As far as I recall Toni, despite your best intentions, you tend to work on DebianDog even in the summer up there!

I forgot to mention, by the way, that you can watch the jpeg stream generated by 'motion' in real time by pointing your browser at localhost:8081 whilst motion is running. 'motion' provides its own inbuilt httpd for this purpose.

EDIT: may only work with Iceweasel or Firefox. Dillo won't see it and maybe not MSIE either (unless you have made an Apache webpage with 'Cambozola' applet).

William

Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 21:48; edited 3 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 12:39    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Can you confirm the same testing result in your Jessie-OpenBox latest iso:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install gtkam ###or any not installed package name

Then check /live/cow/var/lib/dpkg and search for available-old and updated available.
Both missing for me with Jessie and Sid. I can even install programs without having /var/lib/dpkg/available file (missing available will break dpkg/apt install process in Wheezy for sure).
I think I have solution for this problem by replacing /usr/bin/dpkg and dpkg-statoverride from ubuntu package but I need some time to test it properly. And confirmation you have the same problem or it is one more mistery that does not work for me only Smile

Yes, I can confirm that, but do you think it's a problem?

I'm not completely sure what it means but see here for changelog from version 1.17.12:
Quote:
* Do not write to the available file when unpacking binary packages. This
information is not useful as dpkg has never recorded the archive path,
so it has never been truly available for re-installation anyway.

https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/dpkg/+changelog?batch=75&direction=backwards&memo=75

As for your question about separate thread for Jessie
I think I'd vote for separate thread when becomes stable.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read well your question;
Yes, separate thread for Sid and Jessie will be best IMO.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 16:07    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Yes, I can confirm that, but do you think it's a problem?

I think it will become a problem if we need to restore broken status file sometimes.
We can always download the full list of packages from debian repository but I see some problems with this also. I will do some more testing.

Toni

dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 17:06    Post subject:  

I think separate threads would be better.

Also, it might be a good idea to start giving the different ISOs version numbers. Without it, it is hard to know if you are on the latest version if you don't follow along all the time. Then you could also keep a revision history so you could easily look and see what is the difference between the version you are on and the current version to decide if it is worth upgrading.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 22:13    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
I think separate threads would be better.

Also, it might be a good idea to start giving the different ISOs version numbers. Without it, it is hard to know if you are on the latest version if you don't follow along all the time. Then you could also keep a revision history so you could easily look and see what is the difference between the version you are on and the current version to decide if it is worth upgrading.

I second both of these suggestions. I have an old DebianDog jwm on one of my computers, which is used every day by others in my household. I have no idea when I installed it or what the changes have been since. Good thing is, it does continue to work reliably :-) , but, yes, version numbers on future isos developed and changes history would be good I feel, or at least version numbers.

WIlliam

Keisha

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015, 01:03    Post subject: Can a backup changes folder be created within the session?  

Hi Toni and Fred,

I'm using the porteus-boot method. Kernel line in grub menu.lst is
Code:
kernel /DDJ-I-March-28/live/vmlinuz1 from=/DDJ-I-March-28/ changes=/DDJ-I-March-28/live/ copy2ram noauto nomodeset

There is no "exit:" switch in there.

Often, when I am about to do something daring, e.g. attempt to compile libcairo2...first I reboot into another distro (or, into another install of DD-Jessie) and, from this other distro, make a backup copy of my current savefolder (live/changes)...in case my new daring adventure makes things go cattywampus.

My question is...can I create a backup of the changes directory, without having to leave the now-running DebianDog?

Or, is there something held in memory which does not get written to live/changes until shutdown?

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015, 02:35    Post subject:  

Hi Keisha,

Quote:
My question is...can I create a backup of the changes directory, without having to leave the now-running DebianDog?

Or, is there something held in memory which does not get written to live/changes until shutdown?

Yes, you can create a backup with now-running DebianDog, not by using Thunar but in terminal (change "sda2" to what it is for you):
Code:
cp -a /mnt/sda2/DDJ-I-March-28/live/changes  /mnt/sda2/DDJ-I-March-28/live/changesbackup

(Thunar give error message like: "cannot copy special file")

I use always the EXIT:/... option for such daring adventures.
Then if I mess things up I reboot with NoSave.
To save in the middle of a session I do:
Code:
save2flash # Only works when booted with changes=EXIT:/... option

Edit: A disadvantage of the EXIT:/... option is that you are limited to the amount of RAM you have.
So not recommended if you have small amount of RAM and do a lot of compiling stuff that takes up a lot of disk space.
Adding this to the kernel line could help:
Code:
ramsize=100%

(default is 60%, if I'm right)

Fred
Page 55 of 99 [1481 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: