Copy vlc plugin to mozilla problem: /usr not writeable?

Booting, installing, newbie
jess

Copy vlc plugin to mozilla problem: /usr not writeable?

#1 Post by jess »

I installed vlc rpm and unrpm it. it built the opt folder which has plugins and component folder.

So that i would like to copy out the libvlcplugin.so from plugins to /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/, but it can not copy the file into particular folder.

The error shows me is:
cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/local/mozilla/plugins':read only file system
Failed to copy '$path/myvlcplugin/plugins/libvlcplugin.so' there ware an error.

So that how to do solve it?

thanks.
Best Regards,
Jess

#2 Post by Guest »

you can make a symlink to the /root/.mozilla/plugins folder instead (create the folder if it does not exist)

you can make a symlink by dragging myvlcplugin/plugins/libvlcplugin.so with the middle mouse button to /root/.mozilla/plugins and clicking Link

in newer versions of Puppy, /usr is writeable

anything you put in /opt will disappear when you reboot, unless you have an option 2 hard drive install, but if you do, then /usr should be writeable

jess

VLC plugin problem at mozilla broswer

#3 Post by jess »

How can i check that this usr is writeable?
i downloaded puppy1.0.4-mozilla.iso version.

eventhough i put symlink the vlc library file, it means that i will lost my opt folder when reboot the machine, right? Then what is good idea beside using hard drive? can we use usb?

Best Regards,
Jess

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Jess,
/usr is supposed to be writable.
If it ain't, something is wrong... it's explained in the "How Puppy works" page, /root/.usr should be mounted on /usr by unionfs which makes it writable.
That's everything inside /usr, including the plugins folder.

jess

#5 Post by jess »

I boot from CD, so that its not writeable right? unless i install puppy usb card, then can be writeable? is it correct?

please do let me know if i'm wrong. thanks

Best regards,
Jess

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

It all depends on the version of Puppy that you are using.

If you are using a later version /usr is writeable and you can take the option to not create a pup001 file on your hard drive.

Normally Puppy would not write to the live CD as the session is closed to writing but if you use the multi-session version of Puppy and boot it from a burner then it has the capability to write more sessions on the CD that you booted from.

If you install to a USB card it is writeable and this occurs when you shut down Puppy the same as when you shut down a multi-session CD.

If you read through Barry's instructions on the various ways that Puppy can be installed you will find a lot more information than I have supplied here.

Hope this helps.