tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
666philb

#521 Post by 666philb »

LazY Puppy wrote:Hi.

I have a general question regarding building Puppy from Woof/WoofCE.

If you finished a first version and published it how is that to be continued when users gave information about bugs and issues of the first build?

Do you again a Woof/WoofCE build or is any further fixed version just a remaster after the first build?

Thanks.
hi LazY Puppy,

apart from the first 2 tahrpup alpha iso's (which i remastered) all the rest are woof CE builds.
one thing i found useful when tahrpup was in testing was to have an update/bugfix mechanism, so that when bugs were reported and fixed, these could be applied immediately for users, and it also served gather all the fixes into one place, which could then easily be added to the next build.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mavrothal

#522 Post by mavrothal »

666philb wrote:one thing i found useful when tahrpup was in testing was to have an update/bugfix mechanism, so that when bugs were reported and fixed, these could be applied immediately for users, and it also served gather all the fixes into one place, which could then easily be added to the next build.
And hopefully when you get the time provide (individual) patches for the relevant ones for woof-CE :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

666philb

#523 Post by 666philb »

mavrothal wrote:
And hopefully when you get the time provide (individual) patches for the relevant ones for woof-CE :wink:
my main computer is down at the moment but i'll have another go at git when it's fixed
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: Tharpup 6.0.2 devx sfs

#524 Post by 666philb »

keyboard wrote:
That is not the package I am compiling , I am compiling my own software but glade, gtk cairo and other header files are mixed up.

And no I can't put it in better words than this , a developer would understand this i presume.
hi keyboard,

if you can be more specific, the devx can be fixed if need be.
all the .dev files are from ubuntu.debs and should be in the same place as ubuntu has them. there is the possibility that some are missing.

let me know

01micko

#525 Post by 01micko »

666philb wrote:
keyboard wrote:
That is not the package I am compiling , I am compiling my own software but glade, gtk cairo and other header files are mixed up.

And no I can't put it in better words than this , a developer would understand this i presume.
hi keyboard,

if you can be more specific, the devx can be fixed if need be.
all the .dev files are from ubuntu.debs and should be in the same place as ubuntu has them. there is the possibility that some are missing.

let me know
There is no problem with the devx as far as I can tell. I compile my own programs all the time linking with gtk, cairo, xlib whatever.

keyboard, what programming environment have you come from? In linux pkg-config is the program you need to find headers. You add it to your commandline.

For example, you have :

Code: Select all

gcc dailog.c -o dailog -lm
.. which is telling the compiler to link with libm, but as you can see from your errors, none of the gtk headers are found.

Try something like this :

gcc dailog.c -o dailog `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0`

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

johnywhy

Menu Reboot/Shutdown Does Not Work

#526 Post by johnywhy »

Hi

Running tahrpup 6.0.2. But not sure if this is CE-- are all tahrpup's CE?

Anyway, in installed tahr to a hard-drive. Then i updated it with quickpet. then i removed a bunch of built-in apps. Then installed lxde and xfce (but could not get either one to work).

Menu reboot still worked after all that.

then i made a bunch of jwm theme/appearance changes.

Now, menu-reboot no work. None of the shutdown screen buttons work. If i press power button on laptop, i get "woof" bark, and "computer will shutdown in 30 seconds"-- but after 30 seconds, computer no shut down.

Any suggestions?

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#527 Post by johnywhy »

deleted
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

gcmartin

#528 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @JohnyWhy.

One PUP developer has worked closely with this distro project and has produced a version of this distro with the WM you refer. There is 32bit versions and 64bit versions which can meet your needs with a little less hassle. See them here.

Hope this is helpful

666philb

Re: Menu Reboot/Shutdown Does Not Work

#529 Post by 666philb »

johnywhy wrote:Hi

Running tahrpup 6.0.2. But not sure if this is CE-- are all tahrpup's CE?

Anyway, in installed tahr to a hard-drive. Then i updated it with quickpet. then i removed a bunch of built-in apps. Then installed lxde and xfce (but could not get either one to work).

Menu reboot still worked after all that.

then i made a bunch of jwm theme/appearance changes.

Now, menu-reboot no work. None of the shutdown screen buttons work. If i press power button on laptop, i get "woof" bark, and "computer will shutdown in 30 seconds"-- but after 30 seconds, computer no shut down.

Any suggestions?

thx!
press ctrl alt & backspace to drop to a prompt... and then

xwin jwm
this sets the WM back to jwm and shutdown & reboot should work again

johnywhy

#530 Post by johnywhy »

gcmartin wrote: One PUP developer has worked closely with this distro project and has produced a version of this distro with the WM you refer.
thx much, @gcmartin!

actually, xfce is my fave-- would be cool to find an xfce-tahr. Was jus tryin lxde for the first time.

cheers!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#531 Post by johnywhy »

666philb wrote: press ctrl alt & backspace to drop to a prompt... and then

xwin jwm
this sets the WM back to jwm and shutdown & reboot should work again
thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#532 Post by johnywhy »

FlSynclient Forgets Sensitivity Setting on reboot....
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#533 Post by johnywhy »

Hi

Getting "no such file or directory", on clicking "Show in folder" on a file downloaded in chrome to a directory with a space in its name.

thx!

ps not complaining, just reporting. Thx for everyone's hard work to build LXPupTahr! (which makes me think of Pop Tarts :)
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

keyboard

#534 Post by keyboard »

01micko wrote:
For example, you have :

gcc dailog.c -o dailog -lm
.. which is telling the compiler to link with libm, but as you can see from your errors, none of the gtk headers are found.

Try something like this :

gcc dailog.c -o dailog `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0`
yes , got it thanks :D

bigpup

#535 Post by bigpup »

johnywhy wrote:Hi

then i removed a bunch of built-in apps.

thx!
What you removed is the possible cause of any of your problems.

The remove builtin packages has to be used with caution.

It is easy to remove something that is needed for normal Puppy operation.

If you remove something. You need to be sure it is not needed, to run Puppy or some other program.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

johnywhy

#536 Post by johnywhy »

bigpup wrote:\What you removed is the possible cause of any of your problems.
i remove these. Are they safe to remove?

abiword
connectagram
geany
gnumeric
gplanarity
homebank
momanager
pale moon
picpuz
planner
rubix
sylfeed
syslogger
tile
xesmerelda
xsoldier
pwidgets

thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

glene77is

Re: Desktop drive icons

#537 Post by glene77is »

Keef wrote: Clicking on a desktop drive icon for a partition, brings up pmount every time (regardless of whether it is already mounted or not) rather than opening up a rox window.
As a work-around,
I set-up for No Drive Icons on the desktop.
Then Open /mnt and drag each drive to the desktop.
So, a folder icon appears on desktop for each /mnt device.
I have 'home', 'sdc1', 'sdd1' , 'sde1' folder icons on desktop.
Each folder icon brings up ROX.
pmount icon sits (inactive) in the lower left corner, for new devices.
Save this config.
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

charlie6

#538 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Keef wrote: Clicking on a desktop drive icon for a partition, brings up pmount every time (regardless of whether it is already mounted or not) rather than opening up a rox window.
Just bringing my cent to this ....

I get the same behaviour only with bootable USB memory keys on wheezy-3.5.2.5 and wheezy-3.5.2.11 as well. And can live with it ... 8) ; what i have noticed:
if more than one USB keys are plugged in, only a bootable one behaves like the above keef's description. Then I use to let Pmount start and i mount it just clicking on the Pmounts corresponding «mount» button. Then rox opens and displays its content.

HTH, Charlie

charlie6

#539 Post by charlie6 »

Sorry for this redundant posting .... :oops: Not yet fully awake --> wrong key pressed ...
charlie6 wrote:Hi,
Just bringing my cent to this ....

I get the same behaviour only with bootable USB memory keys on wheezy-3.5.2.5 and wheezy-3.5.2.11 as well, as also with other distros like Upup-raring-3.9.9.2. And can live with it ... 8) ; what i have noticed:
if more than one USB keys are plugged in, only a bootable one behaves like the above keef's description. Then I use to let Pmount start and i mount it just clicking on the Pmounts corresponding «mount» button. Then rox opens and displays its content.

HTH, Charlie

bigpup

#540 Post by bigpup »

Network_tray-2.7.3 to fix traffic count limit
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 923#807923
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)