Booting USB stick from floppy, wants login password

Booting, installing, newbie
clifford

Booting USB stick from floppy, wants login password

#1 Post by clifford »

On the first try, almost, my old laptop booted from my usb stick (using the boot floppy). Great, but what I get is a command line prompt for login. I don't have a user name or password let alone what the root password is. How easy is this?

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I am not sure why you're getting the prompt, but try logging in as root.

It shouldn't ask you for a password :? At least it doesn't ask me for one....

Hope that helps :D

If you're successfull, then type startx

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

That's usually caused by a corrupt pup001 file somewhere, that Puppy sees when it boots, and tries to use. One solution is to boot the Puppy CD with the option that doesn't use the HD (boot option 3, I think), then hunt down and delete all pup001 files you can find. Good hunting. :)

Edit: Oops, sorry, I forgot you were booting from floppy. Well, I still think it could be a corrupt pup001 file somewhere. Maybe on the USB drive, but I haven't tried booting from USB so I don't know what else to do beyond using the CD as described above.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

it could also be a corrupt iso, or vmlinuz/image.gz/usr_cram.fs ... or your cpu might not be compatible ... hardware problems like bad ram or not enough ram can cause this too

raffy

Swap File

#5 Post by raffy »

Should your memory be less than 64 MB, you might want to use swap file. You will have to resize your current partition to give way to swap space = at least 64 MB or make it 2x RAM, whichever is larger.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Dave

Login

#6 Post by Dave »

I have the same problem. The Live CD of Puppy keeps demanding a Login name & password. Yikes!