VirtualBox wants Devx and a Kernel package

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
izvie

VirtualBox wants Devx and a Kernel package

#1 Post by izvie »

Hi,

I have been using Puppy since 2006, so I understand it pretty good, but I am not so great at installing things.I got the VirtualBox.sfs installed on TAHR 6.1 but now it says I need the devx package and the Linux 3.14.20 Kernal source package. How do I get these two things installed? I couldn't find them.

Thanks!

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I can't seem to locate the devx, you should be able to find it where you downloaded tahrpup.
The kernel sources are here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

izvie

#3 Post by izvie »

Thanks Puppyluvr! Hey, what is devx anyway, do you know? I can't find much infomation on exactly what it is. When I search for it on the Internet, I get nothing about it.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

The DEVX and Kernel source you can get in Quickpet.

Quickpet->Useful Pets->

The DEVX is basically a package of all the programs and files needed to compile programs in Tahrpup.

Puppy versions normally do not have these as part of the Puppy iso file.
They are not needed if you only get program packages from the Puppy Package Manager or by downloading and installing pet packages.
These program packages are already compiled for Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

izvie

#5 Post by izvie »

Thanks bigpup, I found it! So, I guess since VirtualBox is a QuickPet, it is not part of the PPM and thus I need DEVX to get it properly installed, correct?

666philb

#6 Post by 666philb »

virtualbox requires a kernel module to be built on first use which is why you need the devx and kernel sources... after it's done you can unload them if you wish.

you'll need both the devx and the kernel_sources.sfs (this is in quickpet on useful pets tab)

the kernel sources need to match the puppy iso you are using i.e PAE or noPAE & 6.0 or 6.0.2
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Gleb

Devx and kernel sources problem

#7 Post by Gleb »

Hi, I was trying to install brand new Tahrpup 6.0.2 and VirtualBox on it. Sequence was the following:
1. Burned Live-Cd and booted into it
2. Installed Puppy on a USB-drive
3. Booted from USB into a brand new Tahrpup 6.0.2, did the initial settings (station name and time synchronizing)
4. I read on this forum that to install VirtualBox I need devx and kernel sources installed first. Went to Quickpet, Installed Devx,
5. Opened BootManager and checked SFS-packages. devx was on the load list.
6. Rebooted Tahrpup, downloaded kernel sources file with QuickPet (kernel_sources-3.14.20-tahr_PAE_6.0.2.sfs) I have PAE version over here. Checked BootManager - it was on the list.
7. After next reboot i found through PupSysInfo that devx is no longer loaded.
What am I doing wrong?