Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Sep 2019, 22:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-700/701 [April 22 2015] [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 25 of 79 [1173 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015, 13:47    Post subject: Re: fatdog-updates package issue  

step wrote:
Gslapt keeps reporting the following error when I try to install the fatdog-updates package:

failed to download fatdog-updates: MD5 checksum mismatch, override with --no-md5

I did update the package catalog, and I tick the checkbox for "download packages only".

Oops, fixed. It's working now on ibiblio, may take time to propagate to other mirrors.

tomhewitt

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015, 19:51    Post subject:  

Are you guys not embarrassed at the amateurish state of this project that it is continuously broken and buggy compared to the others on here??
terrapin231

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 02:14    Post subject: Smtube Smplayer packages?  

Hi Kirk, jamesbond and everyone for fatdog64 700 and for all your striving to make things better.

I tried to post this as a pm but as it seems to be currently stuck in my outbox, there seemed no harm in posting here, slightly edited:

Many thanks to you (kirk) and jamesbond for fatdog64 700
Your distro is working very well on my Lenovo G500 laptop. This Lenovo runs intel graphics and I was getting some screen issues with puppy tahr and slacko versions, notably video tearing (esp flash) and a slight "corrugation" effect on the screen on vertical scrolling in any application. I'm not very code-savvy so tend to go with what works out of the box. I'm not getting these issues at all with fatdog64 (I'd like to know why this might be, is it just because it has full Xorg and is 64 bit? )

The reason I ask is that I miss a lot of the packages that run on puppy tahr, especially Smtube and Smplayer. I tried converting the latest pets and used sandbox to trial but had no luck.

Smplayer/tube needs qt4 I think but I thought I read somewhere on the tahr threads that the latest incarnations of those Sm-packages include qt.

Whatever...is there any chance that you or a package contributor to fatdog64 700 could build an Smplayer/Smtube for the repo ?? I sorely miss them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

All the best!!
Pavan

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 03:54    Post subject:  

tomhewitt wrote:
Are you guys not embarrassed at the amateurish state of this project that it is continuously broken and buggy compared to the others on here??

You need to suckup and kiss butt like terrapin231 post above if you want a reply.

Though he is probably a fake troll making out he needs to post a private message on the forum to kiss butt considering every man and dog on this forum has pointed out that fatdog has the worst video support ie: none.

No video acceleration and a none working vblank on intel and Nvidia drivers so you get tearing flash video and vertical scrolling ripple in applications such as firefox when you have fast up and down movement.

So 1 person out everyone else saying the opposite points to it being complete bull.

You can't have smooth flash without hardware acceleration as it's not enabled fatdog unlike the other puppy projects.
terrapin231

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 04:50    Post subject:  

Pavan...

Why be so rude?
I'm no troll and I'm just giving credit where credit is due. Fatdog64 graphics are working like a charm on my machine. End of.

Well, perhaps not quite End of: Get your facts straight! Check out http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91603 . You'll see that video tearing has been an issue for some on the 32 bit versions of Puppy. This particular thread relates to Nvidia and pre-tahr versions (I think) but given that I have Intel and have used latest tahr and slacko puppies and know that these give the same graphics troubles on my machine, the problem is ongoing. I'm certainly not alone.

Genuinely, Fatdog64 700 displays flash, with no screen blips at all, 'out of the box' on my laptop. I've not had to mess with any code or settings.

It's early days for FD700 but I miss the range of excellent pets and sfs available to tahr and can only look forward to either finding a way to fix my video issues in tahr or wait for the packages to roll in on FD700.
Bindee

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 05:20    Post subject:  

The pipeline fix resolves the Nvidia issues , not sure if it works for this version of fatdog as nobody has reported back yet.

I'm not going to contribute my time testing when James is so damn rude at ignoring people that have helped.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 07:56    Post subject:  

@terrapin231, thank you for the appreciation. You are definitely not a troll - the one who accused you is; and there are a few of them here (you can recognise them by the content and tone of their posts). Don't be bothered with them.

With Xorg and the graphic drivers, it is always hit and run. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes not. Newer version is not always better. We are not immune to this, during the (unreleased) test builds we upgraded and downgraded the drivers many times. Kirk has an intel hardware himself and he spent countless hours troubleshooting similar issues, bisecting the code, reporting bugs and providing patches to upstream intel video driver developers. I think we've managed to hit the right balance on the release of 700, but there is no secret sauce here, it's just plain hard work.

A cut-down version of Qt4 is included the basesfs of Fatdog64 but that may not be enough for other applications. You can get the full qt4.sfs (either using the sfsmananger from Control Panel or directly from here). See if that helps with your smplayer/smtube problem. Obviously, you need to use 64-bit versions of these programs. If you want to use 32-bit versions of these programs, get the 32-bit compatibility SFS and 32-bit qt4 sfs, from the same place - but the native 64-bit program is always preferable.

There are a few helpful people packaging additional software for Fatdog64 lurking in the forum, if the above does not help perhaps they can help you to build native packages for Fatdog64.

@Bindee, thank you for "your" pipeline fix, as you posted here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=784467#784467. But helping does not entitle you to call names, bad mouth other forum members or post inapproriate comments. When I asked you not to do that, you said you don't ever want anything to do with Fatdog again, after your last post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=801491#801491. So I will not be responding to you any further either.

Pavan

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 08:28    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
@Bindee, thank you for "your" pipeline fix, as you posted here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=784467#784467. But helping does not entitle you to call names, bad mouth other forum members or post inapproriate comments. When I asked you not to do that, you said you don't ever want anything to do with Fatdog again, after your last post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=801491#801491. So I will not be responding to you any further either.

It was bad enough and quite embarrassing the first time you was lying and you are lying yet again for a second time around.

Bindee never bad mouthed or called anyone any names , it's all in your imagination.

" You are a deluded dumbass " that would be name calling , " the referee needs an eye test " is used buy many people on a daily bases and is not name calling.

Maybe your lack of social skills, social intelligence and awareness is medical condition after all ( tell , tell sign is your lack of understanding of humour ) but i put the money on you being dishonest with your arrogance and self imposed entitlement when you are nothing more than a user.

You have no right or any position to ask anyone to do anything so keep your beak out of other people's discussions.
terrapin231

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 08:42    Post subject:  

@jamesbond: thanks for the info and suggestions, I will give the full Qt4.sfs and smtube/player 32/64 bit packages a try out and give a shout for help if I get stuck.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 08:45    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:

There are a few helpful people packaging additional software for Fatdog64 lurking in the forum, if the above does not help perhaps they can help you to build native packages for Fatdog64.

I loaded fd64-devx_700.sfs and qt4-4.8.5.sfs, then downloaded
smplayer-14.9.0.6690.tar.bz2,smtube-15.1.26.tar.bz2,and
mplayer-checkout-snapshot.tar.bz2.

I compiled mplayer with:
./configure --libdir=/usr/lib64
make -j4
make install

Compiled smplayer with:
qmake
make -j4
make install

Compiled smtube with:
qmake
make -j4
make install

The mplayer in Fatdog package manager won't work, mplayer snapshot adds
ffmpeg codecs needed by smplayer.

I don't want to package these but I hope this info helps.

EDIT: I tried compiling mplayer snapshot on a new installation of Fatdog64-700 and couldn't get it to compile, it compiled okay when I originally did this installation.
smplayer.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   77.26 KB
 Viewed   565 Time(s)

smplayer.jpg

Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 03 Apr 2015, 23:58; edited 1 time in total
L18L

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 09:04    Post subject: Re: sit_quick-locale-swicher
Subject description: version 1.3 bug fix

L18L wrote:
Easter present for prehistoric, Ted Dog and all

Run successfully, booted savefile=none, installed attached sit_quick-loc...-1.3
EDITed: ...and RestartX

Screenshots glued by peasyglue.

top:
New language icon
default language English
left click: changing between AU and US does not make very much sense, click on OK or Cancel does no harm.
right click: sort of locale manager Laughing

middle: Yes clicked, nls downloaded from Greece.

bottom: locale selector ready for adding a locale.

Enjoy

Sorry " source " in script /usr/bin/fatdog-quick-locale-switcher is wrong.
Please delete it.
Code:
sed -i 's/ source //' /usr/bin/fatdog-quick-locale-switcher

bug fix

Sorry " source " in script /usr/bin/fatdog-quick-locale-switcher is wrong. Embarassed
Please delete it. Cool
Code:
sed -i 's/ source //' /usr/bin/fatdog-quick-locale-switcher
Wink
step

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 09:34    Post subject:
Subject description: missing nvidia-uvm.ko module

jamesbond, thank you for packaging the nvidia 340.76 legacy driver. So far It is working OK for me. However, you didn't include module nvidia-uvm.ko, which apparently is needed to support CUDA functionality, and I need that. If you built it, can you please upload nvidia-uvm.ko somewhere where I can grab it? Thanks.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 14:05    Post subject:
Subject description: missing nvidia-uvm.ko module

step wrote:
jamesbond, thank you for packaging the nvidia 340.76 legacy driver. So far It is working OK for me. However, you didn't include module nvidia-uvm.ko, which apparently is needed to support CUDA functionality, and I need that. If you built it, can you please upload nvidia-uvm.ko somewhere where I can grab it? Thanks.

No worries. I didn't know it was needed. Here is the module. http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/kernels/700/nvidia-uvm-340.76-3.18.7.ko. Download that, rename it to nvidia-uvm.ko, put it to /lib/modules/3.18.7/extra; then run "depmod -a" and perhaps "modprobe nvidia-uvm", from terminal. If that does not work, try rebooting after that. I will update the driver packages to include this module too so next time you don't have to do this manually. Thanks for letting me know.

SFR

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 15:31    Post subject:  

I had some time for tinkering and found new bugs. Wink

Pburn

Missing icon in Razor Menu.
The fix is to replace 1.1 with 1.0 in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/pburn.svg:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Btw, newer version (4.3.12) is available: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881

Pfilesearch/Pfind

Exclude field has /initrd/pup_*, but in FD it should be rather /aufs/, right..?
It's hardcoded in line 115 (/usr/local/pfilesearch/pfilesearch):
Code:
export EXCLUDE="/initrd/pup_*"

as well as in default rc file (/usr/local/pfilesearch/pfilesearchrc).

SSH/SSL VNC Viewer & X11 VNC Server

Both won't work if devx is not loaded (lack of Tcl/Tk).

Bluetooth + DUN

I decided to give it a try (Samsung S5620, "Monte"), but encountered several issues.

1. /usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk
Code:
awk: /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk:50: error: function `get_name' called with space between name and `(',
or used as a variable or an array
[and so on]

Was fairly easy to fix:
Code:
# diff -u /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk /usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk
--- /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk   2014-10-04 19:52:22.000000000 +0200
+++ /usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk   2015-04-03 19:35:29.020184143 +0200
@@ -38,7 +38,7 @@
 }

# get the next available rfcomm id
-function get_next_rfcomm_id () {
+function get_next_rfcomm_id() {
    while ( existing["rfcomm" rfcomm_id] != "" ) rfcomm_id++
    return rfcomm_id
 }
@@ -47,14 +47,14 @@
 /Channel/ {
    # Got one
    if ( existing2 [ bt_address ";" ] == "" ) {
-      print "Found DUN on " bt_address " (" get_name ( bt_address ) ") channel " $2 > "/dev/stderr"
-      print "rfcomm" get_next_rfcomm_id () " {"
+      print "Found DUN on " bt_address " (" get_name( bt_address ) ") channel " $2 > "/dev/stderr"
+      print "rfcomm" get_next_rfcomm_id() " {"
       print "    bind yes;"
       print "    device " bt_address ";"
       print "    channel " $2 ";"
-      print "    comment \"rfcomm from " get_name ( bt_address ) "\";"
+      print "    comment \"rfcomm from " get_name( bt_address ) "\";"
       print "}"
    } else {
-      print "Ignoring " bt_address " (" get_name ( bt_address ) ") - already recorded as " existing2 [ bt_address ";" ] "." > "/dev/stderr"
+      print "Ignoring " bt_address " (" get_name( bt_address ) ") - already recorded as " existing2 [ bt_address ";" ] "." > "/dev/stderr"
    }      
 }
#

I believe it must have worked before - perhaps something's changed in newer awk..?

2. wvdial
Code:
wvdial: utils/wvtask.cc:409: static void WvTaskMan::_stackmaster(): Assertion `magic_number == -0x123678' failed.

It seems to be a known issue.
Anyway, I took libwvbase.so.4.6 from this .deb and it worked.

3. My phone carrier requires blank username and password, but wvdial doesn't allow that.
Also, using a dummy username & password, as suggested by fatdog-dialer, didn't work for me.
What worked was using an asterisk (*).
It would be nice to have this info in corresponding tooltips in fatdog-dialer...and/or even have these *s by default...

4. ppp module
Code:
--> The PPP daemon has died: No ppp module error (exit code = 4)

For a moment I though kernel lacks this module (modprobe ppp), but I saw some others in /lib and got lucky with ppp_generic.
Here's which modules got loaded along with it:
Code:
# lsmod | grep ppp
ppp_deflate             3698  0
ppp_async               6802  1
ppp_generic            17482  7 bsd_comp,ppp_async,ppp_deflate
crc_ccitt               1323  1 ppp_async
slhc                    4707  1 ppp_generic
#

I'm not a network expert and I don't know if it's only me or there's really a need to load this module manually (or define it in fatdog-dialer's GUI), but I wonder if it could be done automatically, because non-tech-savvy users might have a serious problem even with identifying the issue.

Anyway, after all those struggles I managed to get this working. Smile

FYI: F'N'R v1.2 (small bugfix).

Greetings!

jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015, 16:37    Post subject:  

SFR wrote:
I had some time for tinkering and found new bugs. Wink
Thanks! Very Happy

Quote:
Pburn

Missing icon in Razor Menu.
The fix is to replace 1.1 with 1.0 in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/pburn.svg:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Btw, newer version (4.3.12) is available: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881
I know this but didn't know the fix. Fixed.

Quote:
Pfilesearch/Pfind
Exclude field has /initrd/pup_*, but in FD it should be rather /aufs/, right..?
It's hardcoded in line 115 (/usr/local/pfilesearch/pfilesearch):
Code:
export EXCLUDE="/initrd/pup_*"

as well as in default rc file (/usr/local/pfilesearch/pfilesearchrc).
Thanks, updated to exclude /aufs/pup_* instead. Fixed.

Quote:
SSH/SSL VNC Viewer & X11 VNC Server
Both won't work if devx is not loaded (lack of Tcl/Tk).
Yes, known problem. I was considering the remove these items from the menu (alternative GUI exists), but I left it just in case. Perhaps I should remove them altogether. Will think about it.

Quote:
Bluetooth + DUN

I decided to give it a try (Samsung S5620, "Monte"), but encountered several issues.

1. /usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk
Code:
awk: /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk:50: error: function `get_name' called with space between name and `(',
or used as a variable or an array
[and so on]

Was fairly easy to fix:
Code:
# diff -u /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk /usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk
--- /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk   2014-10-04 19:52:22.000000000 +0200
+++ /usr/sbin/fatdog-bt-find-dun.awk   2015-04-03 19:35:29.020184143 +0200
@@ -38,7 +38,7 @@
 }

# get the next available rfcomm id
-function get_next_rfcomm_id () {
+function get_next_rfcomm_id() {
    while ( existing["rfcomm" rfcomm_id] != "" ) rfcomm_id++
    return rfcomm_id
 }
@@ -47,14 +47,14 @@
 /Channel/ {
    # Got one
    if ( existing2 [ bt_address ";" ] == "" ) {
-      print "Found DUN on " bt_address " (" get_name ( bt_address ) ") channel " $2 > "/dev/stderr"
-      print "rfcomm" get_next_rfcomm_id () " {"
+      print "Found DUN on " bt_address " (" get_name( bt_address ) ") channel " $2 > "/dev/stderr"
+      print "rfcomm" get_next_rfcomm_id() " {"
       print "    bind yes;"
       print "    device " bt_address ";"
       print "    channel " $2 ";"
-      print "    comment \"rfcomm from " get_name ( bt_address ) "\";"
+      print "    comment \"rfcomm from " get_name( bt_address ) "\";"
       print "}"
    } else {
-      print "Ignoring " bt_address " (" get_name ( bt_address ) ") - already recorded as " existing2 [ bt_address ";" ] "." > "/dev/stderr"
+      print "Ignoring " bt_address " (" get_name( bt_address ) ") - already recorded as " existing2 [ bt_address ";" ] "." > "/dev/stderr"
    }      
 }
#

I believe it must have worked before - perhaps something's changed in newer awk..?
Yes, known problem, already fixed in the update. Newer awk expects no space between function name and the left parenthesis. I may have a few other awk scripts that is like that. Need to check more.

Quote:
2. wvdial
Code:
wvdial: utils/wvtask.cc:409: static void WvTaskMan::_stackmaster(): Assertion `magic_number == -0x123678' failed.

It seems to be a known issue.
Anyway, I took libwvbase.so.4.6 from this .deb and it worked.
I applied the patch from the link you provided. Not sure if that will work.

Quote:
3. My phone carrier requires blank username and password, but wvdial doesn't allow that.
Also, using a dummy username & password, as suggested by fatdog-dialer, didn't work for me.
What worked was using an asterisk (*).
It would be nice to have this info in corresponding tooltips in fatdog-dialer...and/or even have these *s by default...
TODO list - will do this later. EDIT: Fixed - tooltips updated.

Quote:
4. ppp module
Code:
--> The PPP daemon has died: No ppp module error (exit code = 4)

For a moment I though kernel lacks this module (modprobe ppp), but I saw some others in /lib and got lucky with ppp_generic.
Here's which modules got loaded along with it:
Code:
# lsmod | grep ppp
ppp_deflate             3698  0
ppp_async               6802  1
ppp_generic            17482  7 bsd_comp,ppp_async,ppp_deflate
crc_ccitt               1323  1 ppp_async
slhc                    4707  1 ppp_generic
#

I'm not a network expert and I don't know if it's only me or there's really a need to load this module manually (or define it in fatdog-dialer's GUI), but I wonder if it could be done automatically, because non-tech-savvy users might have a serious problem even with identifying the issue.
you can load modules by putting their names into /etc/modules, one line at a time. The dialer also has a entry to specify module to load. But I agree, ppp/ppp_generic is such as commonly used module for dialer, I should try to load them if someone tries to use fatdog-dialer. EDIT: Fixed. ppp_generic will be loaded automatically.

Quote:
Anyway, after all those struggles I managed to get this working. Smile
I lost the ability to use the dialer. My last phone before the current one is Nokia N900, it exposes the GSM modem functionality so I can use the dialer. The newer Android phones all don't have these anymore. There are some emulation software in playstore, but the last time I look at them, they are not meant for making data calls (more for sending/receiving SMS). To compensate for that, I have new scripts that will use bluetooth or USB tethering to android phones that supports it. It is in the fatdog-update but you will need to update some of the bluez related package too.

Quote:
FYI: F'N'R v1.2 (small bugfix).
Thanks, put that in my TODO. By the way the other problem you mentioned there (multiple Name entries - that is definitely a bug on the .desktop file). EDIT: Fixed. helper script will check and launch alternate gui if wish (tcl gui) does not exist.

Thanks!

Last edited by jamesbond on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 02:26; edited 2 times in total
Page 25 of 79 [1173 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: