DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Keisha

Re: Rox and thunar made more useful in DebianDog

#841 Post by Keisha »

MochiMoppel wrote:
Keisha wrote:do you know how to make the Open Thunar choice appear in the dropdown right-click menu of Rox, so that only one right-click (with a hold-down and roll mouse down) will make Thunar appear?
This is already the default if you apply the script only to certain MIME types. Right click a .deb file, from the top of the context menu choose "Customize menu", which will lead you to the folder /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo/.application_x-deb. If you drop your script there, the choice will appear at the top of the context menu whenever you right-click a .deb file.
"Customize menu"... 8) (that's not mastery, that's blindness...)

Aha, so that's what that is for !!! :D
MochiMoppel wrote:Which makes me wonder why you go through all this trouble at all...What keeps you from making Thunar's default actions the same in Rox?
Nothing, now that you and mikeb (in the other thread) have shown me how 8) !

Thank you !!!
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

fredx181

#842 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Keisha,
If in Thunar (in DebianDog) you right-click and choose "Install .deb," it calls the Debian package manager, dpkg, with the -i switch (install).
For info, just in case you didn't yet discover 'Thunar Custom Actions": Edit > Configure custom actions
Most items there point to custom scripts.
For example the "Install .deb," right-click option points to /opt/bin/instdeb.
See screenshot.

Fred
Attachments
thunar_custom_actions.png
(143.58 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

fredx181

#843 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

YouTube-Get v2 upgraded to version 0.1.3
See in Utility thread, for details here (Edit4):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 961#832961

Fred

mcewanw

fast-track git/github tutorial/video

#845 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

Thanks to limelime I decided to take a closer look at using git with remote repository github.com since I recognise that a permanent base/repository for any project is an important requirement, and git is so popular nowadays. I also noted your asking for pointer to good tutorial on using git/github Toni. Previously I myself have only used git client to download some source code for compiling, but knew nothing much about git itself otherwise. But in around one hour only, undertaking the following has enlightened me greatly...:

1. Install git using: apt-get update; apt-get install git

2. The following fantastic youtube video tutorial allows you to learn the most important basics of using git in around 20 to 30 minutes... It is a well made video using bash commandline git commands that I found made git surprisingly easy to basically understand and use (just do the exercise provided whilst watching and pausing the video etc). The explained bash command line level git reminds me of using apt. Then, once you understand how to use git on commandline, you can install a git GUI client (just as you might use Synaptics instead of apt).

How to create your first repository and upload it to Github
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMsWq3rS6Po

3. The above youtube also gives link to a good free online ebook on learning git (ch 2 particularly good after watching above video): http://git-scm.com/book

Either before or after steps 1 to 3 above:

4. Set up a remote repository to use in git. I created an account at github.com for that purpose. Then spend fifteen minutes or so online at your github.com account to work through the hello-world tutorial provided there at registration time (public accessible github repositories being free to set up and use - repository owner has power to allow others rights to commit new stuff or not). That github provided hello-world tutorial quickly teaches you the simple basics of using their online web-browser accessible remote git repository facility.

5. Then what I did was to create a completely new empty repository at github (I called it FluentGuard to match the youtube video). Then, from the master repository of the local git repository I had made whilst following the youtube video of step 2 above, I issued the following commands to upload my local repo into the empty FluentGuard one (the youtube video didn't explain this part but I understood enough to just try these commands and they worked...):

Code: Select all

git remote add fg 'https://github.com/mcewanw/FluentGuard.git'

git push fb master 
'fg' above is just the alias I used for more quickly referring to the FluentGuard.git URL which follows it.

You should understand these commands once you have watched the 18 min long youtube video above in step 2, though of course you have to use your own github account and repository name.

I further experimented by committing a binary file and pushing it up into the repository. I found I could download it again thereafter by clicking on its link and hitting 'Raw' tab in the resulting 'editor' window that popped up in the browser. So it is thus easy to download any files later without having to clone the whole git repository or even needing to use git client at all to download files stored up there. So git repository can be used as standard file repository (in addition to or instead of the ones provided by smokey/Kazza). Great thing is that the git repository of course keeps track of all work, modifications and changes automatically. I really think it is the way to go and plan to get all my own programs into my github account now.

Whether you wish to use github or not sooner or later Toni, I think it would be great if you would creat a github user called DebianDog rather than just have DebianDog as a repository under limelime's account or anyone else. That way, if the DebianDog developments later move to github (with separate repositories in there for Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and Sid etc, then it becomes a permanent base, even if you or anyone were ever to retire from the project etc - not that I hope you ever do retire from this valuable work! :-)

Anyway, hope the learning git in under an hour links prove useful. They certainly worked for me so far. Now I realise how easy and flexible it is to use my eyes have been really opened to its possibilities. I note github not only provides wiki capability in addition to the git repository but that a github repo can also be set up to act as a static website... (some other youtube videos explained how to do the latter)

Oh well, took me almost as long writing this short text as it took to master the basics of using git client with github.com repository! I thoroughly recommend github repo but in conjunction with also continuing to use murga puppy linux forum for general development work chat especially now that DebianDog is expanding to include more recent Debians. The Puppy forum threads are and will remain very important to keep others informed of DebianDog developments in my opinion, even if the main project files/development were to move to github, which I hope you will consider sooner or later.

William
github mcewanw

Keisha

#846 Post by Keisha »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Keisha,
If in Thunar (in DebianDog) you right-click and choose "Install .deb," it calls the Debian package manager, dpkg, with the -i switch (install).
For info, just in case you didn't yet discover 'Thunar Custom Actions":..
Thanks!

I've turned MochiMoppel's solution into a RoxApp and posted it, along with the corresponding solution for Thunar, at
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98438
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

saintless

#847 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

Thank you for the pointers about github, but I still don't see it as better alternative for DebianDog project.
The main reason is I don't have time to learn how (even if it is only one hour but I think it will take me much more to feel comfortable using github) and most important after that to clone all we have to the moment in github as packages and wiki pages. I can't get time even to update regularly both google drive accounts with latest files and I'm grateful Kazza made possible to keep all in one place with easy for me ftp upload/replace option and enough space for all DebianDog versions.
I'm also not sure we can upload files over 100Mb in github repository. Can we upload around 250-300Mb iso and can we get 10Gb hosting space (or more in the future) for all DD versions in github?
Github could be better for developers work but it is not easy to use from people who just want to download and test linux iso. I don't think we will get any interested developers (especially after this sytemd war in linux world).
DebianDog follows the main stream Debian development and it does not need more than me and Fred to keep it in the right direction. If we stop following main Debian development and standards this project is finished. And I'm afraid this is what will happen one day when I and Fred stop working on it. Even if someone else continue the work on DebianDog instead most probably official Debian standards will not be so important anymore.
The good news is any DD version can be easy upgraded to latest Jessie or Sid without much troubles. Same as any official Debian-Squeeze or Wheezy. I'm sure DD iso and other files will be available for download from official hosting sites and google drive and other mirrors in the next years and will be easy upgradable to any official Debian in the future.

Edit: Fred, if your opinion is different, correct me, please! Not to use github is my decision only and if you, William or someone else like to make DebianDog user and mirror DD files there I do not mind.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Thu 02 Apr 2015, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#848 Post by saintless »

Testing ceni network manager available in DD-repository. The deb is taken frm here and control file edited with dependencies dhcpcd, resolvconf and xterm.
Available from apt-get and Synaptic:

apt-get update
apt-get install ceni
Works well for wired network for me and should work well for wireless also. Small enough with all needed dependencies compared to debian official network managers.
Available for separate download here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Extra/
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... ges/Extra/

Toni

anikin

Re: swap file

#849 Post by anikin »

saintless wrote:Hi, Anikin.
Like Keisha I also do not recommend using flash drive.
It is better to use swap file on your hard drive so you can delete it and create it any time you need it. DebianDog has included "Make swap file" menu entry with GUI. Or you can make it from command line:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 463#774463
Hi Toni, Fred, Keisha et al,

Thanks for your prompt responses regarding my swap file question. However, I don't have much choice here, so the only option for me is to go with a USB stick. This eeepc has dual SSD drives, 2 Gigs of RAM and no spinning drive at all. Toni, I must be especially dense today ... please, tell me about your setup in that swap file link. You wrote there:
In my example the SWAP file is 512 MB and it is placed in /live/image
. There's no image directory in my setup. Also, I run from RAM, what's the point in placing the swap file in RAM then? In my case the USB stick will be sdd1, DD will be booting from it and the swap file should also reside there? Using the same commands to create it as in your example?

mcewanw

#850 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, William.

Thank you for the pointers about github, but I still don't see it as better alternative for DebianDog project.
The main reason is I don't have time to learn how (even if it is only one hour but I think it will take me much more to feel comfortable using github) and most important after that to clone all we have to the moment in github as packages and wiki pages. I can't get time even to update regularly both google drive accounts with latest files and I'm grateful Kazza made possible to keep all in one place with easy for me ftp upload/replace option and enough space for all DebianDog versions.
I'm also not sure we can upload files over 100Mb in github repository. Can we upload around 250-300Mb iso and can we get 10Gb hosting space (or more in the future) for all DD versions in github?
I take your point Toni. I also recognised that there would be a cost in terms of time and effort in moving much over to github, and the current development efforts work well as done presently.

I also wondered it github imposed a repository size limit. I've since checked and whilst they don't impose a fixed limit they prefer size to be kept to no more than 1GB and do have an upload filesize limit (100MB or above filesize not allowed and 50MB filesize max preferred) so it is indeed not suitable as a DD repository anyway.

However, I do think limelime has a possibly good idea to perhaps employ github as a DebianDog wiki, and for some of the extra programs and scripts specially added to DD it may prove useful eventually, but time permitting of course. I certainly think it would be useful to reserve a github DebianDog user for possible wiki purposes. I have no doubt a wiki might prove a better methodology for longterm documentation, but on the other hand, I recognise that putting the documentation into various inter-linking puppy forum threads targets the appropriate audience directly. Just it is difficult to organise docs in an easily searchable manner using this resource. So maybe worth trying to make a mirror of docs on wiki but with a good puppy linux DD documentation index page which links to the detail in the wiki?

But these are just ideas I'm throwing around whilst baring in mind all such efforts take additional time and human resource efforts, which is certainly a big negative, when really it is mainly just yourself Toni, and Fred, doing most of the development work. So basically, I agree with your comments Toni - best to keep going as things are, which has been amazingly successful effort and results. I too am busy with various other matters and not sure how much time I'll give to playing with git, but if I do reach the stage where I think I can usefully help I'll feedback on that. I'll certainly try and put my own programs on git, if only for practice in using it, before I forget the little I have now learned about its usage! I can certainly imagine it being useful for keeping track of my own project work better and hopefully without too much learning effort also.

Cheers, WIlliam
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#851 Post by mcewanw »

I have a similar problem to yourself anikin in having insufficient RAM for some things I want to do. However, despite the possibility of flash 'wearing out' eventually following too many write cycles, I feel that it is cheap enough nowadays that I also plan to use it for swap for when I might need that. It will be interesting to see how long it does in fact last when used as swap space, so it will be interesting to hear back from you in terms of how reliable you later find it. I have a feeling it may be much more resilient than we imagine, but only time will tell of course.

WIlliam
github mcewanw

Keisha

Format usb used as swap to f2fs for longest life

#852 Post by Keisha »

If you format a usb stick used as a swap partition to f2fs it probably will last longer, because unlike vfat and ext2/3/4 f2fs is designed to cooperate with the usb stick's wear-levelling algorithms.

@anikin: Toni is not referring to the live/ subdirectory in which savefolder changes/ or savefile persistence resides; rather, at least this is true in a porteus-boot, while running, /live/image is the partition you are running from, i.e. it is the same thing as /mnt/home or, on your machine if booted from a usb stick, the top directory of that usb stick.

fredx181

#853 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Testing ceni network manager available in DD-repository. The deb is taken frm here and control file edited with dependencies dhcpcd, resolvconf and xterm.
Thanks, Toni, I can report that it works well for me with wireless too.
Me personally, I'll stick with using frisbee but it may be a solution for those who have problems with it.

As a coincidence I was using apt2sfs at the same time testing ceni and found a bug in new apt2sfs (1.0.2).
It's because of the "resolvconf" package which creates symlink /etc/resolv.conf.
New apt2sfs depends on copying /etc/resolv.conf to the chroot for providing network connection but as resolv.conf is a symlink it doesn't work.
I think I already found a solution, need to test more and then send new .deb.
Edit: Fred, if your opinion is different, correct me, please! Not to use github is my decision only and if you, William or someone else like to make DebianDog user and mirror DD files there I do not mind.
For me it's perfectly OK as it is now, specially with the new hosting from Kazza!

Fred

saintless

#854 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.

If you are using Debian-Sid with official live-boot (version 4) and toram or toram=01-filesystem.squashfs boot code, then:
/live/image = /lib/live/mount/medium = the available RAM (its size)

Then use mount-wizard to mount the flash drive (in /media/sdd1 for example).
Then the commands will be changed to:
2. To create and use SWAP file only when you need it and delete it when you don't need it. Here is the way to do this. In my example the SWAP file is 512 MB and it is placed in /media/sdd1:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sdd1/swapfile bs=1024 count=524288

mkswap /media/sdd1/swapfile 524288
You can use this swapfile right a way without reboot by typing:

swapon /media/sdd1/swapfile
This command will stop it and then you can delete it to save hard drive space:

swapoff /media/sdd1/swapfile
Toni

mcewanw

DebianDog organization presence on github

#855 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Not to use github is my decision only and if you, William or someone else like to make DebianDog user and mirror DD files there I do not mind.

Toni
Hi Toni,

Well, for now, simply to reserve the github namespace, I've created DebianDog as an 'organization' (free version) on github (not under any particular github username):

https://github.com/DebianDog

Being an organization allows any invited existing github users to become members of the 'Owners Team', which would allow them to create new 'Teams' and invite other existing github users to become members of the DebianDog organization. But there is facility to create other teams with much more restricted rights in terms of read/write access.

Just to get things temporarily started, in case it proves useful for yourselves in the future, I have temporarily created four Teams (Owners, Developers, Testers (which includes normal users), and Documenters. (Note that you'll only see all these created teams, I believe, once you have logged in to your own personal github account - not sure if you need to be github DD org member also). For the moment, therefore, I'm the only member of all of these (my normal github username is mcewanw, so from that account I have joined the DebianDog organization teams). From github DD org 'Owner Team' control page, I have also temporarily invited limelime to join the Documenters team in case he/she wants to copy his/her DebianDog wiki stuff over to this no-userowner DebianDog github organization resource (every member of the organization has read/write access to the wiki I believe - though I'm just a beginner on github so could have that wrong...!).

As far as admin rights over github DebianDog 'organization', anyone made part of the Owner's Team has full control over the resource, so it is a simple matter to transfer "Account ownership" over to anyone in that Owner's Team. The only purpose of the 'main' owner is that their email address is used for Billing Purposes (and this is set up as a free organization account anyway). However, that main owner is automatically in the Owner's Team, which I feel should be occupied only by Fred and yourself to keep the code management 'tight'.

If Fred or yourself do at any stage sign up for a personal github account, please therefore let me know and I'll invite you onto the github DebianDog organization owner's team, happily leave that team! :-) , and transfer overall account admin ownership across to whoever you decide - presumably yourself. I'd rather just be in Testers and Documenters Teams and leave only yourself and Fred in Owner's team so that you can coordinate any work to be accepted into the actual repository (anyone can read or write to the wiki in any case).

So the way it works is that everyone who wants to be in github DebianDog organisation has to have their own personal user accounts first anyway, from which they can become members of any existing github organization accounts (assuming they are invited by a member of the organization's 'Owner Team'.

Oh well, it is there for when and if you want it. I may or may not add more to it sooner or later: first, I'll be practicing with git/github in my own github user account anyway.

Hope it proves useful to someone, especially for documentation/wiki purposes.

Cheers, William

EDIT: Note that the Teams I created was just basically me practising. How the site should best be managed is nothing I've thought about particularly, though I imagine the "Fork and Pull request" method would be safest way to manage any actual code. That method is where developers clone their own copy of the code, work on it, and then use a Pull Request to inform the source code maintainer that they have changes they want the maintainer to consider adding to the original source code. In other words, even developers aren't given write access to the main sources (only the maintainer(s) of these sources). That's my limited understanding anyway:

https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/
github mcewanw

saintless

Re: DebianDog organization presence on github

#856 Post by saintless »

Thank you, William!
I'm sure it will be useful in the future for documentation and DD packages.
mcewanw wrote:However, that main owner is automatically in the Owner's Team, which I feel should be occupied only by Fred and yourself to keep the code management 'tight'.

If Fred or yourself do at any stage sign up for a personal github account, please therefore let me know and I'll invite you onto the github DebianDog organization owner's team, happily leave that team! :-) , and transfer overall account admin ownership across to whoever you decide - presumably yourself.
You deserve to be in the owner's team since you are working from the start on DebianDog and working multiuser function is all thanks to you, William ;)
We can not upload iso (files over 100Mb) in github and there is no way for anyone to break Debian compatibility. Maybe someone will be able to upload deb packages with not properly created control file but this is not a big problem because the official DD-repository is active in latest DD iso and only I can upload and update packages there.

Toni

anikin

swap file

#857 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni,

Thank you very much for the tip, the issue is solved!
Just a little clarification: in the first place, this was an issue in DD wheezy/JWM boot v3 and of course in SID too. Here's a quick test, I did on a less important USB drive:

root@debian:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sdc1/swapfile bs=1k count=1024k
1048576+0 records in
1048576+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 49.0476 s, 21.9 MB/s
root@debian:~# chown root:root /media/sdc1/swapfile
root@debian:~# chmod 0600 /media/sdc1/swapfile
root@debian:~# mkswap /media/sdc1/swapfile 1024 
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1020 KiB
no label, UUID=3c8c9308-c34f-442b-929f-c0874d8f2024
root@debian:~# swapon /media/sdc1/swapfile
root@debian:~# 

root@debian:~# swapon -s
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/media/sdc1/swapfile                    file            1020    0       -1
root@debian:~# 
My research says, that chown root:root /media/sdc1/swapfile
chmod 0600 /media/sdc1/swapfile is important, because otherwise, the swap file becomes world-readable, that is, a security implication. Please, add this to your tutorial to make it shine.

saintless

#858 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Anikin!
Added here.

Hi, Fred.
Me personally, I'll stick with using frisbee but it may be a solution for those who have problems with it.
Me too. Fresbee works well for me. I tested ceni because of its small size (including perl dependencies) and it worked well. Maybe will be useful for someone later as option from DD repository.

Toni

fredx181

#859 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All

Here's new apt2sfs, attached apt2sfs_1.0.3_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)

Bugfix: version 1.0.2 doesn't work in case package "resolvconf" is installed (no network connection).
Now instead of copying the file /etc/resolv.conf to the chroot it copies the contents of /etc/resolv.conf to new created file resolv.conf in the chroot. (needed for network connection while running in chroot).

Edit: Ooops, forgot to edit the other scripts, apt2sfs-cli etc..
Removed attachment for now, re-upload later.

Edit2: Ok, re-uploaded attachment

Fred
Attachments
apt2sfs_1.0.3_i386.deb.tar
Bugfix for apt2sfs
(16.03 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

fredx181

#860 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,
If Fred or yourself do at any stage sign up for a personal github account, please therefore let me know and I'll invite you onto the github DebianDog organization owner's team, happily leave that team! :-) , and transfer overall account admin ownership across to whoever you decide - presumably yourself. I'd rather just be in Testers and Documenters Teams and leave only yourself and Fred in Owner's team so that you can coordinate any work to be accepted into the actual repository (anyone can read or write to the wiki in any case).
Toni wrote:You deserve to be in the owner's team since you are working from the start on DebianDog and working multiuser function is all thanks to you, William
I second that :)

Ok, I must admit I'm a little conservative and didn't explore anything yet, all seems overwhelming to me.
But.. I took the first step of creating an account by the name of "fredx181", so you can invite me, for now, put me in the Testers and Documenters Teams, it feels safer for me :)

Thanks, it could be useful in the future.

Fred