Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Atle

#321 Post by Atle »

So the Skype issue can be resolved trough:

Adding the Pet link into Quickpet "Popular Pets" and replace "Songbird"?

And the SFS link changed as well...

As for the Ext4 issue for first shutdown a small warning might be added in text form?

And here is why I think the LupuMini should be relaunched at distrowatch and so forth...

Simply because Lupu is a great contribution to the entire world as it "just works" on most computers and is ENVIRONMENTAL friendly as one can "downgrade" the OS in stead of upgrading the hardware.

Lupu, unlike most other Puppies and distroes, can make a big difference for many people around the globe and then the one with lesser resources and money.

This is why i think Puppyland should have this and nothing else as its FLAGSHIP.

:-)

ICPUG

#322 Post by ICPUG »

Many moons ago the company I worked for stepped up security and blocked access to many web sites - including this forum. I stopped my daily access at that point and have not been much of a contributor since.

Just recently they pepped up security again and I can now view this forum again - don't ask! I have been looking daily again. Next week, I retire so I can view what I like!

Those who know me from past ramblings will know I got involved with Lucid Pup in the Playdayz days and really like it.

I just wanted to thank Rerwin for keeping this excellent puplet going.

My current desktop multiboots between frugal installs of:
LupuSuper2Plus (5.2.8.7 20150131)
Lighthouse 5.0.3g (for my online work)
Knoppix 7.5
and full install of
Windows 7

I use what is best suited for the task in hand.

Once again, kudos to Rerwin and long may he continue keeping this puppy up to date with the latest releases of its packages.

mikeb

#323 Post by mikeb »

Hey mr PUG...so UK censorships getting in your way too :D
Well I hope you enjoy your new freedom when it comes.

Actually just popped in to say I booted the retro tahr kernel plus zdrv no problem on lucid... would it be worth adding to the superlupu set since it might be handy to share the pool of drivers and knowledge for that particular kernel release... 3.4.103
It seems a good alrounder and liked my P3 which the standard tahr did not. Only thing it seems to want is a matching alsalib update which is understandable...everything else runs as normal.
Idle cpu of 1-2%.

mike

futwerk

#324 Post by futwerk »

background
Attachments
lucidm30.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/?dz9ik5jq1egl5d7
(11.31 KiB) Downloaded 573 times

don922

Num Lock on Startup Fails

#325 Post by don922 »

Puppy528.7

/root/Startup has a file called set-numlock which contains the following command:

#!/bin/sh
numlockx on &

/usr/bin has a file named numlockx

How can this be repaired without scraping the program and starting over?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

recobayu

#326 Post by recobayu »

Is there any update of lucid puppy? I hope..

RetroTechGuy

#327 Post by RetroTechGuy »

recobayu wrote:Is there any update of lucid puppy? I hope..
I assume that you checked the first page of the thread? The updates are being posted there (Rerwin edits the posts, and reports updates).

I've moved 2 machines over to Sulu1. Put LupuMini on an old 333MHz machine... They work great!
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

rerwin

New beta version of 5.2.8.7 uploaded for verification

#328 Post by rerwin »

Lucid Puppy Users,
I have uploaded beta ISO files for the next release of the lupu 5.2.8.7 family. In addition to fixing the pesky frisbee-1.3 bugs, I have incorporated the contributed "luci-savedir-6-lucid" and "petget rewrite" packages.

Although, with support from mavrothal, I am comfortable with the GUI version of shutdown that includes save-to-folder, I have not been able to test the improvements in the petget rewrite, except to verify that pet packages will install. I need those of you using the dependency-check feature to verify that it works as intended. Since I have seen no reports of problems with the rewrite, I trust that there is no major problem with it.

Here are the links to the betas:
EDIT: The betas have been superseded by version 20150520, announced here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 126#847126

The details are at the end of the history posting here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

If I have missed any architecture fixes or packages that are candidates for being updated, please tell me. Please also report any issues, at all, with these betas, so I can get the final release right the first time. As always, thank you all for helping with this project.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 26 May 2015, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: New beta version of 5.2.8.7 uploaded for verification

#329 Post by sheldonisaac »

Thanks, Richard.

On this Dell Latitude E6410 laptop, it did not boot (frugal) to a GUI, but instead two lights above the keyboard just kept flashing.

I got it to boot with pfix=nox.

Then did xorgwizard.sh and chose vesa.
That was OK.

Then tried to use xorgwizard to choose an xorg ? , but got the flashing lights again.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rerwin

#330 Post by rerwin »

sheldonisaac,
Thanks for trying the beta. I have been working that problem with my PCs, too,and forgot to mention my resolution in my original post above.

I have added modprobe configuration files for the open source drivers that support the "modeset" option. They are all set to "modeset=0". My goal was to reduce the need for users to figure out how to set that for their situation at boot time.

The files in /etc/modprobe.d are:
  • i915.conf
    nouveau.conf
    radeon.conf
Here is i915.conf:

Code: Select all

options i915 modeset=0
# Use kernel modesetting [KMS] (0=DRM_I915_KMS from .config, 1=on, -1=force vga console preference [default])

install i915 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fbcon; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install i915  $CMDLINE_OPTS
You can override those values on the boot command line or edit the appropriate .conf file from the command line and reboot after xorg fails to start. I use "sed -i 's/modeset=./modeset=1/' /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf to turn on modesetting. A minus one (-1) sets modesetting to its default value. Or you can just comment out that line, to take the default.

That said, the blinking lights suggest something more serious. so, first I would like to know which video driver is being used, i915 or nouveau? For the i915, modeset=0 appears to be recommended by some. Since that does not seem to work, try booting with nomodeset ("puppy nomodeset"). If that doesnt work, comment out the modeset=0 line in i915.conf (sed -i 's/^options/#&/' /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf). The problem with this solution is that the recommendations were made for lucid and (I assume, its kernel -- 2.6.33) whereas super2 uses precise's kernel (3.2.48).

I assume you have the laptop working with the current (20141203) lupusuper2. I am at a loss right now as to what might have changed in the beta that accounts for this difference. I, too, sense that something must have changed because my PC with a nvidia card and nouveau in super2 had a similar problem that was solved by the modeset=0.

A half hour later:
I know the cause! Assuming you use i915, the new .conf for it changes the mode setting from "1" to "0". The old version of it set mode 0 for only 2 cases, one of which was for my PC but for its now-dead internal AGP device. I see now that I should make the default as "1", to avoid changing it from before. Maybe I should do that for the other 2 .confs, too -- any opinions on that?

The two exceptions were for Intel 845 Brookdale chips. Once I make that change, owners of them may need to change it to "0" themselves.
R

sheldonisaac

the i915 problem

#331 Post by sheldonisaac »

rerwin wrote:I know the cause! Assuming you use i915, the new .conf for it changes the mode setting from "1" to "0". The old version of it set mode 0 for only 2 cases, one of which was for my PC but for its now-dead internal AGP device. I see now that I should make the default as "1", to avoid changing it from before. Maybe I should do that for the other 2 .confs, too -- any opinions on that?
Thanks, Richard. No success yet. I am not skilled enough to do this stuff. Hopefully someone else will be.

I'm in my usual lupusuper2 now, the one from March of 2014
~> dmesg | grep -i i915
[ 16.381720] i915 0000:00:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[ 16.381726] i915 0000:00:02.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 16.395576] i915 0000:00:02.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 22.551910] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
~>
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

partsman

#332 Post by partsman »

HI rerwin :D
First let me say thank you for your continued support of this wonderful puppy ! Your work here is much appreciated ! :wink:
I see now that I should make the default as "1", to avoid changing it from before. Maybe I should do that for the other 2 .confs, too -- any opinions on that?
If you was to make the default i915 modest=1 it would cause me to boot to a black screen ! :shock:

Here is a my video info :
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(r)Cantiga Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS product: Intel(r)Cantiga Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400
Core 0: 1200 1: 1200 MHz
This is not an easy decision ! Intel video can be tricky ! As you already know ! :shock:

Something else worth a mention is this also depends on the kernel being used ! An example is : If I boot slacko 5.7 no pae it boots to a black screen ! :shock: If I boot slacko 5.7 pae it boots strait to desktop and works fine ! :wink:
And I would have too look again but I think they are both set to i915.modeset=1 :shock:
So depending on the kernel being used too ! :wink:
There is alot about this all over the internet ! :roll:
Enough to drive a person mad ! :twisted:

Also this may be worth a read :? :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93712

Anything I could do please do ask rerwin !!
And as always thanks !! :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

rerwin

#333 Post by rerwin »

partsman wrote:If you was to make the default i915 modest=1 it would cause me to boot to a black screen ! :shock:

Here is a my video info :
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(r)Cantiga Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS product: Intel(r)Cantiga Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

. . .
This is not an easy decision ! Intel video can be tricky ! As you already know ! :shock:
. . .
So depending on the kernel being used too ! :wink:
There is alot about this all over the internet ! :roll:
Enough to drive a person mad ! :twisted:
partsman,
Thanks for your feedback and encouragement.

Regarding the soon-to-be-uploaded change to modeset=1 for i915, that is how it has been AFAIK. At one point I added a udev rule and config file to set modeset=0 for 2 845 Brookdale video cards (subvendors/subdevices). I now figure those users can make the edit to restore "0"

Thanks, too, for the link to the discussion about the modeset issues. I am all in favor of automating the choice of modeset and other parameters, but do not have the specifics to work with. I attempted with the udev rule, which seems impractical because we need information about each special case -- and we are unlikely to find that. If you know of particular cases for modeset=0 or any other special treatment, I am willing to work up a configuration (i915.conf) file that looks for those cases. Ideally, it would only be a matter of determining which of the lupu-family kernels or particular chipsets (e.g., 82845) require modeset=0. From our common experience in googling for answers about this, I feel it is too complex for me to tackle alone. But I would like to implement any solid solutions you or anyone else can identify.

Regarding working around the initial black screen, it seems, to me, that booting with "puppy nomodeset" could get you to the desktop, where you could edit /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf to change the "1" to "0".

Although my 2 main PCs have nvidia cards, my Asus netbook has an Intel that uses i915. I made a frugal installation from the super2 ISO file I just created with the i915.conf modeset defaulted back to "1", and booted to it cleanly.

Also, I am coming around to restoring the rules file containing the special cases that require modeset=0. To get lupu to know when to use "0", please post or send me the /tmp/udevtrace.log entry for the video devices requiring modeset=0. Here is an nvidia example of the record I seek:

11:59:52 add_nouveau_module___
11:59:52 add_0000:01:00.0_pci_0x10de_0x0170_pci:v000010DEd00000170sv000010B0sd00000002bc03sc00i00
The "add" line is the key; I include the driver entry to show it may immediately precede the desired line. To ensure you get the right line, enter the command, lspci -nn, which yields for me:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 460] [10de:0170] (rev a3)
For the Intel chips, the vendor ID will be 8086. Please send both of those lines for each such device.

partsman

#334 Post by partsman »

Just to clarify I did some quick tests !

lupu-5.2.8.7-20141203.iso
Boots straight to desktop !

lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20150423-beta.iso

lupu3hd-5.2.8.7-20141203.iso
Boots to black screen ! :shock:

Just so we are on the same page here ! :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

rerwin

#335 Post by rerwin »

partsman,
Boy, did I get confused! My i915 discussion is in response to sheldonisaac's problem with his E6410.

I still do not know enough about your situation to work your concern about modeset=1 and your "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(r)Cantiga Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS product: Intel(r)Cantiga Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0"
lupu-5.2.8.7-20141203.iso

lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20150423-beta.iso

lupu3hd-5.2.8.7-20141203.iso
Boots to black screen ! Shocked
lupu-5.2.8.7-20141203.iso has modeset=1.
lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20150423-beta.iso has modeset=0.
lupu3hd-5.2.8.7-20141203.iso has modeset=1.

In lupusuper2...20150423 try editing the /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf "options" line to set modeset=1 and reboot to see its effect. If you really need modeset=0 I have found enough information to make a rule for it. Please determine whether that is necessary. Thanks.

partsman

#336 Post by partsman »

Well rerwin dont feel bad I cant wrap my brain around the whole thing either ! :shock: LMAO !
Been trying to for a while !
Like i said though this isn't a puppy/distro issue its a kernel issue !!
"From what I can understand"
I know I have spent hours and hours reading about this !
But with that said everything I have tried that's a fairly newer kernel the problem seems to be fixed ! :wink:
In lupusuper2...20150423 try editing the /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf "options" line to set modeset=1 and reboot to see its effect. If you really need modeset=0 I have found enough information to make a rule for it. Please determine whether that is necessary. Thanks.
I changed to modeset=1 and Yes still booted strait to desktop ! :wink:

Just for giggles I tried on THD if I change it to modeset=0 It will boot strait to desktop !

Like I said from what I can gather Its a kernel issue !
I think !
Racy/Carolina also boot to black screen for me ! :shock:
If I boot with i915.modeset=0 that is only way it works "outside of the method I spoke of in the link i gave you earlier"
I like to use my little walk around because of the acceleration problem I spoke of ! And I like my games ! :wink:

Don't feel bad rerwin ! like I said Twisted Evil :twisted: :twisted:

Now with that said ! Seems like no matter which method you choose 0 or 1 someone is gonna get left in the dark ! :?

If you would like to try anything else like I said please do ask ! :wink:

nmlkngdm

#337 Post by nmlkngdm »

posting from lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20150423-beta.iso

thanks

Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory : 2074MB (797MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun Apr 26 13:29:03 2015

bigpup

#338 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

You may want to ask 666philb how he is doing it with Tahrpup 6.0.2 CE.

It seems to be less of a problem in Tahrpup.

This may be information that will help you.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke ... de_setting
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

partsman

#339 Post by partsman »

bigpup wrote:rerwin,

You may want to ask 666philb how he is doing it with Tahrpup 6.0.2 CE.

It seems to be less of a problem in Tahrpup.
I agree its worth asking ! :wink:
But again ! from what iI understand this is a kernel issue !
Tahrpup's kernel would not be effected !
At least I dont think ! :wink:

Yes bigpup ! I did alot of reading from the guys over at arch !
And I believe that that that is where I read about it being a kernel issue ! :wink:

Atle

#340 Post by Atle »

@Rerwin

What i thought was my bad luck seems to be mentioned. The whatever kind of bug that makes the Wlan start to cause problems.

But from my observations it goes beyond Frisbee, as I have experienced this lots of times and it has caused imminent "divorces" between me and 528.xxx several times over the years. Even if you then try the other two network manager the problem goes on.

If that problem is resolved, I shall stop monitoring distrowatch.

Atle