ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

Linux foxit needs Xorg 24 bits colour I believe

#381 Post by mcewanw »

inoxidabile wrote: About ch-foxit: I'm sorry, but the problem remains the same also other several tests, when I try to open a pdf file it immediately closes by itself without any reason.
As I've said, it isn't a great trouble, I can use Adobe.
Is this your problem? ->

Foxit [pdf] Reader crashes unless 24bit Xorg color used
See here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 875#342918

Alternative way of running Foxit if you can't use 24 bit colour:

I personally just use Xorg 16 bits but run a Windows version of Foxit over wine... and that seems to work fine (I have wine on here anyway, so no overhead really).
github mcewanw

inoxidabile

#382 Post by inoxidabile »

Thank You mcewanw,
You are right, with 24bit colour problem! Then I will be able to use the more light and quick Foxit ! (it's a great appliation, I know it).
Now I've to find the way to change my actual setup 16 bit to 24 - I'm just a little bit more than a newbie so it isn't immediate for me, but I think I will find something.

PS very nice your latin citation of Declaration of Arbroath... let me answer in a similar way: Beneficium accipere, libertatem est vendere

mcewanw

memory used by mere act of loop mounting squash files

#383 Post by mcewanw »

I haven't tried Choice Pup as yet, but I really like the idea.
I occasionally run Tiny Core Linux, which also relies on a small core and the loop mounting of many squashed filesystems.

However, I have one major (for me) problem with TC: the mere act of loop mounting a squashed filesystems appears to me to use up 700 kBytes of RAM (per squashed filesystem thus mounted). So mounting say 50 squashed filesystems on TC seems to use up around 35 MB of RAM (50 x 700kB) as I documented here:

http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/index.ph ... 7#msg19657

On RAM challenged machines such as mine (256 MB total) that is quite a loss of free RAM.

Does Choicepup or Puppy in general suffer from a similar problem? i.e. how much RAM does each loaded SFS take up (even prior to actually running any of the applications embedded in the SFS). I'm assuming the case where the sfs is simply mounted and not actually loaded into RAM by Puppy.
github mcewanw

jrb

#384 Post by jrb »

mcewanw wrote:mounting say 50 squashed filesystems
I don't know how much ram mounting an SFS in puppy uses but I do know there's no reason to mount even 10 at a time.

For test purposes I tried ChoicePup412 on a PentiumII with 64 Mb of ram. I was able to run OpenOffice, slow but it worked. It is so easy and fast to load or unload a program that on low ram machines you could just have one SFS loaded at a time if necessary.

Also if you feel it is really necessary to run several apps at a time you can combine them. MU has an SFS combiner available. You could also use Pizzasgood's SFS editor and copy the contents of one SFS into another.

mcewanw

sfs RAM usage

#385 Post by mcewanw »

jrb wrote: I don't know how much ram mounting an SFS in puppy uses but I do know there's no reason to mount even 10 at a time. . . .

Also if you feel it is really necessary to run several apps at a time you can combine them.
Yes, I knew about SFS-combiner and that would be a "solution", though a bit cumbersome if having to do that frequently for different combinations of sfs files. Most PCs nowadays probably have plenty RAM anyway, but I'm still curious (and interested from a technical viewpoint) about the RAM usage characteristics of sfs files.

Also, I noticed a thread started by user sunburnt (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 948#353948) which says that recent puppies have a problem in that sfs files load completely into RAM. Is that the case with sfs files used in Choicepup?

EDIT: I'm not sure sunburnt is talking about the same thing here though - perhaps he is referring to the core puppy .sfs file (e.g. pup-430.sfs)?
github mcewanw

bones01

Calendars

#386 Post by bones01 »

Hi jrb and others,

I've got everything working really well, and am a little too scared to try something else now. However, I would like to chagne the default calendar option to 'sunbird' instead of 'osmo'.

Can this be done, and if so, how can I do it?

Cheers

Happy New Year!!!
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

jrb

#387 Post by jrb »

bones01 wrote: I would like to chagne the default calendar option to 'sunbird' instead of 'osmo'.
Hi bones01, Glad to hear everything is working well! :D

Yes the default calendar can easily be changed. I recommend however that before you change it back it up by copying /usr/local/bin/defaultcalendar to /usr/local/bin/defaultcalendar1. This way if your changes don't work as expected you can fall back to the original.

You could just edit defaultcalendar and change "osmo" to "sunbird". This assumes that you will always have the ch-sunbird-0.9.sfs package loaded.

I usually give my defaultXXX files a choice as in:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
if [ -L /usr/local/bin/sunbird ]; then
	exec /usr/local/bin/sunbird "$@"
else
    exec osmo "$@"
fi
But in this case that might be overkill.

Hope that helps, J

tlchost

#388 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: I usually give my defaultXXX files a choice
Hey, that's a great idea.....

Thom

bones01

default calendar

#389 Post by bones01 »

Thanks JRB, I'll give it a go soon and let you know how it goes.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

hailpuppy

wxpython on choice puppy

#390 Post by hailpuppy »

Hi Jrb,
I tried installing Python on choicepup 4.12 and it was successful.I tried to installwxpython in the way big_bass had described in

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31558

but failed to get wxpython to run.all relevant menu entries would get displayed except that when run in IDLE wxPython wouldn't get imported.Iv done this earlier version 4.2 but so far failed in here. Please advice on this issue

jrb

#391 Post by jrb »

hailpuppy wrote:I tried installing Python on choicepup 4.12 and it was successful.I tried to installwxpython in the way big_bass had described in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31558 but failed
Sorry to say that I know nothing about python and I'm not supporting choicepup412 anymore. (Guess I should change my signature line) I've been using puppy431-2 with SFS-TCZ_Linker for the last 5 months. Puppy412 was good but the new woof build system has too many advantages not to use it.

I think you'll find that Puppy431, or BareBones431 with SFS_Linker will do everything that ChoicePup412 did and more.

Pelo

Sfs are still available under topic Choicepup431

#392 Post by Pelo »

Sfs are still available under topic Choicepup431and can be usefull for Puppy's users 2015