Will printer Brother HL-1112 work in Puppy?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Rope

Will printer Brother HL-1112 work in Puppy?

#1 Post by Rope »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL-1112 ... B00EZ1TBHI

Brother HL-1112 Compact Mono Laser Printer

Anyone tried this printer or similar in Puppy Slacko?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

I'm not sure how well this printer will do in Puppy or if CUPS even has a driver for it. From what I see here, the HL-1110 has partial support (which I'm guessing would include the 1112,) using Brother's driver available here. But, again, I'm not sure if this driver will install or work in Puppy.

Other members should know a lot more concerning the compatibility of this printer...

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

I can't say for sure if it will work in Puppy but I think there is a very high chance it will. The Brother website suggests that the HL1110, HL1112 and HL1118 all use the HL1110 driver, so I have made a .pet from the deb files they have made available.

I do not have one of these printers, but believe this pet should work. It was made on Slacko 5.6 and I think it is worth a try on other puppies. (My method has worked successfully for me on a different Brother model so I believe this pet should work correctly)

NOTE : You must have the printer switched on and plugged into your pc before installing the pet as the postinstall script has to find the device to setup the files correctly.

WARNING : Any time you add printer drivers it is wise to have a backup of your savefile first! (Actually that goes for any software that you are installing). I recommend trialling this first with a "live boot" that has no savefile (just hide your previous savefile is the easiest way). This will confirm whether or not it works on your system.

Final note: In theory this pet fully installs the printer (as long as you have it plugged in and switched on first) so it should not be necessary to use cups to do any additional discovery. If anyone tries this pet please post back to advise failure or success.
cheers!
Attachments
HL1110_1112_1118_gg-0.1.pet
(45.92 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

ozsouth

HL1110 , HL1210W

#4 Post by ozsouth »

These printers do work in Puppy. I had to manually run setupPrintcap (in /opt/brother/Printers/HL1110/inf). I have had issues with landscape printing.

Rope

#5 Post by Rope »

Thanks to all :)
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

Rope wrote:Thanks to all :)
You're welcome, did anything work?

Regards...

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

I have been able to get hold of an HL-1110 and confirmed that my .pet does work successfully (testing on Slacko 5.6)

All that is necessary is to turn on the printer and plug in the usb cable before installing the pet. Once the pet has finished installing it will have set up the printer driver with default settings and you should be able to start printing right away. (Just be sure to choose the HL1110 in the print dialog as it will probably default initially to the cups-pdf printer)

If you wish to change any of the default settings they can be changed after installation by using cups as follows:
- open a browser and in the address bar type:

localhost:631

- then open the printers tab, click on the HL1110, choose the administration tab (the small one next to the maintenance tab) and set the default options as required. In particular I found the default graphics halftones were grainy so I changed resolution from normal to fine. I also set this printer as the "server default".

I can't say if this will work for the HL1112 but as far as I can tell from the Brother website it should work fine.