Images too large in Forums Posts

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
starhawk

#21 Post by starhawk »

Hmm.

Don't feed the trolls, boys. This is what happens.

Fossil

#22 Post by Fossil »

I posted this in NOVEMBER. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96599 Am I also a troll? Or cannot the more senior members have a valid point?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Flash »

Fossil wrote:... there are several huge screen-captures lurking in areas of this forum. They may well be under the 250k limit, but the size (width) is not being deleted by the forum software.
That's because they are not attachments to the post. Rather, the post links to them (with [ img ]URL of image location[ /img ]). The forum software won't do anything about that. You could send a PM to the originator of the post with the link in it, asking nicely if he or she would please reduce the size of the image. For best results, include the URL of the post (the rectangle to the left of the word "Posted" at the top left of the post.)
When I run across an example of what you mean in your last post, I fix it as Geoffry suggested in that thread.
Sometimes a very long example of code will mess up an entire thread. This is a "feature" of the forum software which I can do nothing about.

starhawk

#24 Post by starhawk »

Fossil wrote:Am I also a troll?
Your second most recent post directed at me, was most certainly trolling. Personal attacks are not the subject matter here, and I'm really not interested in discussion that won't be civil.

As for this, er, issue, I really don't see it as one. I do find it annoying, like you -- but unlike you (and apparently half the forum) I really don't see it as more than annoying, and in particular I don't see it as bothersome enough to pipe up about, unless it gets to the point where it's actually slowing down my connection. I think that's happened twice in the past year...

I guess we all have different priorities.

For the record, I do wear glasses (I need to get new ones soon, actually) so I'm familiar with eyesight issues. The roof is a matter of money, pure and simple -- even if I had the experience (and were without a very severe height phobia) I could not currently afford the materials to DIY the repair. That said, I'm looking into a possible GoFundMe campaign (that's what it's there for) -- although, I have to make sure it'll work for me, before I do it.

bark_bark_bark

#25 Post by bark_bark_bark »

<offtopic>I don't see how starhawk's signature is offensive in any way.</offtopic>

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

@bark -- some people are more easily offended than others, and some issues are "hot potato" issues ;) there's almost no easier way to start an argument than to pipe up about either politics or religion, and my sig relates to the second.

I'd explain further, but this thread is opinionated (and loudly so) enough as it is, and I'm really not interested in hijacking a thread. (I've done that enough in the past.) Doubly so, because religion and (what people do with it) is a huuuuuuuge soapbox issue for me, and I can (and have) go on at quite a length about it. I don't want to do that here, because it will totally derail everything into a big mess. I'm a nice guy, so I don't want to do that.

jd7654

#27 Post by jd7654 »

I was going to make a suggestion in the suggestion thread, but this one seemed to fit better.

My suggestion is update the forum FAQ and documentation on image posting. It is out of date or incorrect, or I just can't find the updated one.

About posting images, it says in:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/faq.php#p29
"Can I post Images?
Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode [img] tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed)."

So as a new member, I read this and this is outdated, as the board does support uploading images. But the key point is that there is no information that I could find about the "little inside secret" of getting the images to show in the box with view counter.

I know how to post images to a forum by linking them. Anyone who's been on a forum knows how to do that. Some forums have easy tools to resize your linked image, didn't see any here.

So I saw observed people posting images in the box at the bottom. I tried an attachment but that didn't show up as an image, only a clickable link. So I ask a few times how people are posting images that way and nobody answers. SO I keep posting and finally someone gets irritated and says stop posting large images. Then someone nicer comes along and says keep it under 800 pix. Then someone nicer still does a PM with the secret trick.

Oh so that's the secret! Why keep it a secret?

So question: where on this site does it explain that for an uploaded image attachment to show up as an image and not a link, that it has to be 800 pix wide or less, AND the size has to be 256kb or less?

If it's here I'd be damned if I could find it.

If you want people to post images correctly, provide easy to find and correct information for users to read.