ElectroPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pirohmaniac

ElectroPup

#1 Post by pirohmaniac »

After a long time of not using Puppy I started using it again. I realized that if I could get the Arduino IDE running on it, it would be perfect for keeping on a flash drive in my Arduino kit.
Well after much trial and error I finally got the latest IDE running (was actually easier than I thought it would be) and ElectroPup was born.
Then I decided it would be nice to have some schematic design software on it as well. I looked through the puppy forums and found some nice lightweight programs but settled on Fritzing because it has Arduino components and a simple schematic editor.

PWidgets are installed and Zarfy is also included because who doesn't love multi-monitor support?

Other small changes include a nice Arduino wallpaper and tahr-like icons for Arduino and Fritzing.

No software was removed since while trying to make a minimal puppy to start with I wound up with an ISO that was bigger than the one I started with.

Link will be available in a day or two.

(EDIT) Here it is! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7m5Tn ... sp=sharing
Last edited by pirohmaniac on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

What puppy did you use as the base?

pirohmaniac

#3 Post by pirohmaniac »

It's based on Tahr. Was going to call it tAhRDUINO before I added schematic software.
If I have time tomorrow I'm going to play with woof and see if I can't trim it down a lot before I post the link.

Volhout

Suprisingly easy

#4 Post by Volhout »

Useually installing java runtime (6 or later) is sufficient to run Arduino IDE. And some twiddling with the rights to access external modem (Arduino represents as a modem). Done it in several pups since 5.28.

Fitzing is new to me, but looks fun (the breadboard option).

Personally I would not trim down Puppy. everything in there is quite compact and tuned well together. What do you want to gain ? 0.5 second bootup time ?

If you are playing with Arduino, you may also want to look at implementing the PICAXE IDE. For some projects that is an even simpler and cheaper solution. The linux IDE is called "AXEPAD", not as fancy as their Windows IDE, but very usable. Simply unpack and it works. There is a good description on how to dot that. The PICAXE chips are programmed via a USB-SERIAL cable. Not all, but many cheap cables work. For small (i.e. RC stuff) based projects there are the small 8 pin microcontrollers, save weight and space.

Another thing I useually install is the Saleae logic analyzer package (after buying one of these 10 dollar 8 channel USB logic analyzers (chineese copy)). That is really nices stuff. Try the software (demo mode). It samples at up to 24MHz@8channel, and even has software demodulation for RS232, I2C, etc...
I even use this professional (prefer over a 10k$ oscilloscope/analyzer because it works so well).

Some ICONS for LxPup
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=51

Are you planning to post your iso ?[/url]

pirohmaniac

#5 Post by pirohmaniac »

Well then the universe must have decided that was a day to piss me off then, after a bunch of trial and error I got it all working in Lupu5.28 only to try to boot puppy later and find my save had been corrupted. That was a first <.<
There was no tinkering to get it to recognize the arduino though.

Fritzing does look cool and the latest version probably looks cooler. Unfortunately it crashes as soon as you select a component, 9.0 and later. Also a simulation option would be neat, to the point where you can upload your code to the virtual arduino and see how your circuit functions.

Gain? Nothing really I just wanted to get rid of all the crap people would never use doing this. Like Gnumeric.

Looks like they might be worth a look. Might wait until I get the hardware though so I can make sure it works before I roll it out.

Be posting it real soon, it's remastering right now.

(EDIT) It's up, check the first post

Pwidgets aren't working. Yay. Will look into it.