Can't boot Puppy.

Booting, installing, newbie
Pita

Can't boot Puppy.

#1 Post by Pita »

On 2 computers of mine where knoppix, gnoppix and DSL boot flawlessly from a CD, puppy-1.0.4 hangs. On one computer quite early in the boot on the other when I should choose a keyboard.

You have to do better then that may be change to another dog breed for the opening picture.

Regards

Pita

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

Before you blame the Puppy, make sure that the issue is not how you downloaded and burned Puppy.

What version did you download?

Did you check the md5sum of the download?

Did you burn the Puppy.iso at 2X or 4X speed?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Knoppix, gnoppix and DSL all use the same recognition system and at the moment this aspect is still better than Puppys.

I used Knoppix for a long while - installing it on my HD. However I was tinkering. Never found it usable (that is; something I want to use or can use) It really was my first serious attempt to go over to the Linux side of the force . . .

It is great at recognition and very stable. Gnoppix is Knoppix with Gnome interface (which I prefer) Recently looked at DSL which again is something that seems OK - then you have to live with it.. I could not BUT it is improving too.

I keep an eye on DSL and I feel that DSL and Austrumi are great small Linux but I prefer and use Puppy. [shrug] Use is the operative word. I have wanted to and enjoyed using Puppy. For some reason the atmosphere around it, the people, the stability - I dunno but it is teaching me the ways of the Jedi {ahem - ways of the Tux I mean}

Tell us some more about your system and follow any hints.

"Do not underestimate the Force of the Puppy . . ."

Good luck! :) Hope you sort your system
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Mechsus

#4 Post by Mechsus »

Recently looked at DSL which again is something that seems OK - then you have to live with it..
Yes, I had a few goes with DSL but also couldn

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

You're probably wasting your time, guys; I don't think Pita's coming back.
Last edited by Flash on Wed 03 Aug 2005, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Bancobusto

#6 Post by Bancobusto »

Me thinks that your right, Flash :?

Hey, I just tried Austramie 0.95a - and you're right Mechsus, it froze my machine right away too.

Rebooted. tried again, only this time chose thye option to not cache the CD into Ram -

didn't freeze, but didn't detect my ethernet connection, and couldn't figure out how to set it up (as everything's in Latvian, I think).

B u t . . . .

It does look really nice! Too bad the functionality (for me, at least), wasn't better :D

One thing I have to say though: I really liked the fact that as soon as it had cached the CD into Ram (about 8 or 9 seconds before it froze up on me) it ejected the CD tray... kind of like it was saying "I don't need this anymore, take it away!"...

I would like to see a script like that built into Puppy... I think phsycologically it has a great effect on the person that you're trying to show off the OS to.

Just my 2 cents, I realize that this a little off topic :lol:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Bancobusto wrote:Hey, I just tried Austramie 0.95a - and you're right Mechsus, [snip] It does look really nice! Too bad the functionality (for me, at least), wasn't better :D
Any chance you could add a (small) screen shot of Austramie to this post? Perhaps it could be booted up long enough to take a picture of the screen with a digital camera. Or do I have to download it and burn it and boot it just to see what you're talking about? :)
One thing I have to say though: I really liked the fact that as soon as it had cached the CD into Ram (about 8 or 9 seconds before it froze up on me) it ejected the CD tray... kind of like it was saying "I don't need this anymore, take it away!"...

I would like to see a script like that built into Puppy... I think psychologically it has a great effect on the person that you're trying to show off the OS to.

Just my 2 cents, I realize that this a little off topic :lol:
You're right; if you run Puppy from the CD there is no reason for the CD to remain in the machine once Puppy is booted up. Not only that, but it's easy to forget it's in there when you shut down.

Rather than simply eject the CD without warning -- unexpected behavior which might confuse or alarm first-time Puppy users -- perhaps a message could pup up ( :) ), offering to eject the CD, and explaining why.

I suppose the message could be put in the background image that is shown after Puppy is ready to go. (Another nice feature of Puppy, that. Other OSs and distros put up screen images that suggest the computer is ready to use before it really is. Worse, they don't tell you when it is ready to use.) I don't know how it would be made active though, to click on it to make it go away, or make the CD eject.

Bancobusto

#8 Post by Bancobusto »

Flash, I don't have a camera, or I would gladly do so..

There's this though http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albu ... .sized.jpg

It doesn't do as much justice as it should, though. I don't know if I'm using the right words... The sharpness, yes, something, the fonts look a lot nicer, higher screen resolutions are detected for first boot (at lesat for me)... hell, I'm no artist, so can't seem to explain it really.

It's a small download, if you have the bandwidth and the blank CD, give it a go maybe...

:D

http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Bancobusto wrote:
didn't freeze, but didn't detect my ethernet connection, and couldn't figure out how to set it up (as everything's in Latvian, I think).
Click on the English flag (one of the menus) and the menus change to English.
Always good to look at other small distros to get ideas and so on . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Bancobusto

#10 Post by Bancobusto »

thanks Lobster :lol:

Mechsus

#11 Post by Mechsus »

Would a Puppy ever marry an Austrumi? Their child might be quite nice...

Pita

Can't boot Puppy

#12 Post by Pita »

danleff wrote:Before you blame the Puppy, make sure that the issue is not how you downloaded and burned Puppy.

Thanks

What version did you download?

puppy-1.0.4-mozilla

Did you check the md5sum of the download?

Yes and it says OK

Did you burn the Puppy.iso at 2X or 4X speed?
I am using xcdroast with write mode TAO and speed set at 2x. When burning it says speed 4.1

Is there a way to capture the boot output so I could submit the error messages?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

Mechsus wrote:Would a Puppy ever marry an Austrumi? Their child might be quite nice...
Puppy 1.0.5 is getting a makeover.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyHoliday

(the developers Alpha does not look like this incidentally)

By Using IceWm or fluxbox
we can already achieve
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PedigreePuppy

and Pizzapup 1.0.2 had a very stable usage of Icewm

Puppy is the stud. Who is the poodle?

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Bancobusto

#14 Post by Bancobusto »

erased

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Can't boot Puppy

#15 Post by Flash »

Pita wrote: [snip]
Several people have taken pictures of their screens with digital cameras, then cropped the pictures and reduced their resolution so the image is just big enough to read clearly, before posting them to this forum as jpegs.

#16 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:
Several people have taken pictures of their screens with digital cameras, then cropped the pictures and reduced their resolution so the image is just big enough to read clearly, before posting them to this forum as jpegs.
I'll be darn my old boss used to say. In absense of a dig cam I will use my mobile phone taking 4 shots and then paste them together. Just wait.

Pita

#17 Post by Pita »

Flash wrote:
Attachments
Puppyhang.jpeg
This is the best of a screen shot I can do with mobile phone and shaky hands. After the last line booting hangs, keyboard is locked. I hope somebody has sharp enmough eyes.
(32.77 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

Pita, I've stayed out of this thread, because I don't know a thing about your computer. I'd like to offer my assistance, however I'd like to know a few things first.

1) How much RAM you have

2) Information about your hard drive
  • a) what size is it
    b) a description of the file system types, i.e. FAT16 ext2. partition structure, by type and hda# if you can
    c) the current default boot operating system

#19 Post by Guest »

Thanks
Bruce B wrote:Pita, I've stayed out of this thread, because I don't know a thing about your computer. I'd like to offer my assistance, however I'd like to know a few things first.

1) How much RAM you have

512 K

2) Information about your hard drive
  • a) what size is it

2 drives, 40 Gb hda, 20 Gb hdd

b) a description of the file system types, i.e. FAT16 ext2. partition structure, by type and hda# if you can

/dev/hda2 /boot ext2
    /dev/hda8 / reiserfs
    /dev/hda9 /usr/local reiserfs
    /dev/hda10 /home reiserfs
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/window vfat
    /dev/hdd1 /mnt/dos vfat
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/rh9root ext3
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/rh9home ext3
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/rh9usrlocal ext3
    /dev/hdd2 swap swap
    /dev/hdd5 /mnt/kpx ext3
    /dev/hdd6 /mnt/athene ext3
    /dev/hdd7 /mnt/knop ext3
    /dev/hdd8 /mnt/free ext3

c) the current default boot operating system

Slackware 10.1, Lilo boot. There is no Windows OS installed.
Regards

Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I couldn't find the thread, did it disappear for a while?

Looks like you have many options about where to put puppy. Put it where you want.

You had booting from CD-ROM problems, and were questioned about burning techniques.

I propose putting Puppy on the hard drive and booting it from hard drive, you can mix it on a partition with another distro because the names don't conflict with an Option 1 install.

I'm going to recommend the following:
  • do an md5sum on the downloaded .iso, if you still have it. If not download it again and make an md5sum check.

do not burn the .iso to cdrom this time

mount it to a loop device and copy these files to the root of the partition you want it to run on:
    • 1) image.gz
      2) usr_cram_fs
      3) vmlinux
when puppy runs the first time it will create the pupxxx user file

what you need to do is figure out how to boot it with lilo. I don't know lilo enough to tell you. I can tell you how to boot it with grub.

if you can't figure out how to boot it with lilo, let me know. I will put together a DOS kit to put on hda1 (c:\)

In order to assemble the kit I will need to know the following:
  • 1) the linux partition where you put the three files
    2) how big you want the pupxxx file (default is 256MB), but you can make it another size
    3 the name you want the pupxxx to be
    4) if possible post a copy of msdos.sys, config.sys and autoexec.bat
If you don't know how to mount a data .iso file in Linux I'll show you how, you can make adjustments as requried for location and file name.

suppose the .iso is on hda7 and you want the three files on hda1

# mkdir /mnt/iso
# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/hda7/nameof.iso /mnt/iso

if you are working on hda7 it would be

# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /nameof.iso /mnt/iso

#cd /mnt/iso
# ls

# cp image.gz usr_cram.fs vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/

(of course, hda1 and hda7 must be mounted) :)