Tor-4.08.sfs

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
stemsee

Tor-4.08.sfs

#1 Post by stemsee »

here is latest tor bundle 4.08. Tor now updates itself so this will be the last package from me.

https://mega.co.nz/#!VYJGRC6Q!a83VktjOf ... 7D4Fd27VkY

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

I'm unable to download the sfs file from the above linked webpage; the download gets to 99% and then appears to halt, with no completion.

I'm using a FAST broadband connection.

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

hi Sylvander

I just checked an downloaded the file first attempt. So I cannot explain. Is there enough room in your savefile/download partition??

Judes

#4 Post by Judes »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=45
Judes wrote:Is this the 64 bit or 32 bit version?

And are you checking the signatures for packages?

torproject.org/docs/verifying-signatures.html.en

Don't know if you are already aware of this or tried it but Mic Lee who is developing Onionshare for the torproject has a linux easy starter for the browser.

github.com/micahflee/torbrowser-launcher

Automatically updating (while preserving your bookmarks and preferences) Verifying the TBB's GnuPG signature

Also it has AppArmor that limits the browser integration with the operating system to limit out of bounds exploits.

:?: :?: :?:

Same Question Mr stemsee. :)

----------^

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

stemsee wrote:Is there enough room in your savefile/download partition??
6.09GiB unused on the home partition...
673MB free in the pupsave file.
But I'm never asked where to save the file, even though I have Firefox configured to always ASK where I want to save stuff to be downloaded.
I click on the download button, and it begins to download the file, and gets to 99% and halts.
My CPU usage increases greatly for a time, then reduces again back to a normal low usage.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

wget the package for God's sake!

Nevermind, I missed it was mega bloated NZ.

Hey Sylvander, how's your CPU hit on their site?

Try grabbing the package with safe mode..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

stemsee

#7 Post by stemsee »

@Judes

I had 4.06 32bit installed and that updated itself to 4.08. I then packaged the tor-bowser dir into an sfs root-tree and squashed with .desktop file and icon in appropriate dirs. I didn't do anything else manually.

Judes

#8 Post by Judes »

No probs , Cheers for the info.

I noticed that the torproject also list a 64bit linux version so i just wondered if it would be any better for memory management.

As for Mega i've seen lots of complaints about failing at 99% as you need twice the amount of ram than the download size and it's heavy CPU usage is for the decryption key and it often gets stuck as a temp file in ram.

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

Semme wrote:...how's your CPU hit on their site?
What does that mean?
As I said...
When I click on the download button, instead of being asked where I want to save the file, it appears to begin downloading [to where I know not], and the CPU usage goes to a high value for a time, then drops back to a much lesser value...
And then the download [or whatever] halts at 99%.
Semme wrote:Try grabbing the package with safe mode..
How is that done?
I know nothing of any "safe mode" in Puppy.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Safe mode's a Firefox directive and something you can set via its menu.

As to where its being saved, more than likely a default system location chosen by mega.

Did I mention I *loathe* their site?

If this download continues to trouble you, grab their phone app, download, then transfer the file.

Actually, forget their app.. Garbage!
Last edited by Semme on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Its a good idea not to host packages at a site run by an irresponsible idiot with a criminal record. One guy who single handedly messed up a big chunk of the internet with hosts running into hiding when they didn't need to. Sure he offers lots of space... I wonder how he got it.
And yes shitty site indeed.

I assume self update refers to the browser and not the tor daemon itself?

Mike

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

You got it bro.. mega BLOWS!

Yeah, I wouldn't torture any member hosting a package on their site.

stemsee

#13 Post by stemsee »

WoW .... so much anti for mega! I never knew such passion against it existed. Personally I find it easier to manage and quicker than google drive. Download and upload speed is great for me. The only gripe i have is posting download links (which contain a hash) on this here forum, which doesn't make a regular active url link. Maybe puppus dogfellow can host it!

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Well apart from several users have mentioned they find the site unusable...it may be easier for you...well what isn't easier than google drive really...but its a non starter for some. Like websites, its nice to make such things as accessible to as wide a base as possible...not everyone in the world has broadband and brand new computers for example....and with puppy its those users most in need of what goes on here.

Nothing personal against yourself...you chose it as it seemed a good idea ... just yer hosts owner is a complete git. :D

Mike