Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Nov 2019, 15:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 32 of 52 [770 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
Author Message
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 9069
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:00    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
BarryK wrote:

Is this a frugal installation of LxPup that you are running on?
If so, is the frugal installation of LxPup in sda4?



Yes, that is the specific failure scenario.

My /dev/sda4 is an EXT4 partition with full install of Fedora Linux. Into that partition are frugal installs of X-Slacko and LxPup, both with save to directory feature.
If installquirky is run from X-Slacko, the problem did not appear. If I run LxPup from a USB drive instead, the problem did not appear. Only happened when installquirky is run from LxPup frugal install on HD. Not sure what is different about X-Slacko and LxPup frugal installs (both slacko base) that confuses the installquirky script, but thought that was an interesting failure scenario.


I found and fixed more bugs, and re-uploaded the Installer:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00189

I tested in a running Precise Puppy 5.7.1 frugal installation.

I ran installquirky.x86 and did a frugal install of april 7.0.3, into the same partition at Precise pup.
It works fine.

Also did an install to flash stick, this is just a 32-bit bios-bootable install. Works.

Note, if you want to get into the innards of the Installer, start it, then you will find a folder in /tmp
Just make a copy of that folder, then exit from the Installer.

Then you open a terminal in that folder, /tmp/xxxxCOPY, and start the Installer:

# ./installquirky

When you quit the Installer, the folder in /tmp will not be deleted.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 6730
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr 2015, 16:30    Post subject:  

I am told that an SDXC card will only work properly in a drive that is SDXC aware. Most every older PCs do not accommodate that storage device properly. And, many phones/tablets will not too.

This info may better describe the technology of the secure digital storage cards.

If the card has a USB reader which is SDXC aware, the card+reader will work in a USB slot.

Hope this is helpful.

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engines or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
David Andrew

Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr 2015, 19:43    Post subject:  

I've created a wallpaper for this distro, using my own logo:



Obtainable from here:

http://box-look.org/content/show.php?content=169716
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppus Dogfellow


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1631
Location: nyc

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr 2015, 23:31    Post subject: making libre pets
Subject description: and general compiling questions
 

BarryK wrote:
gcav wrote:
BarryK wrote:
OK, have compiled LibreOffice 4.4.1.2, for April i686 7.0.2:

Here is the PET (109.8MB):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/packages/pet_packages-april/libreoffice-4.4.1.2-april-i686.pet

Next, I will compile for April64.


Hi Barry, was this compiled under T2?

gc


No. I had to do some awful hacks. Haven't been brave enough to try it in T2 yet.
I have documented the steps, can post them if you are interested.

EDIT:
I should add that compile fails, building a test utility. But, I found that it had finished compiling everything, and just did a manual install.
But that is not good enough for T2. The compile would have to complete without error.
The investment in time is the main problem -- takes about 12 hours to compile.


i'd like to take a look at them, Barry, if you still feel like posting them. a new version's out--seems like a good time to try it. also, i think something's gone south in the way 01micko's utility makes the packages/gets its info, so i'm wondering--could this method also be used for regular non-quirky pups?

i'm about to try out the installer from a 5.5.precise install--haven't yet decided what method--i have three flash drives waiting and i'm thinking of also chancing this machine's hard drive with a frugal, so i'd like to ask an additional, possibly annoyingly newbie question-- is there any specific way things are supposed to be compiled for april or april 64 or puppy in general? i'm new to this and have sometimes used ./configure make make install with success (and sometimes not--not much experience either way), and have sometimes followed advice in readme files that change that a little, but i have seen prefix=--usr and/or similar commands recently--given no additional information, how should one compile for april64 or april or puppy in general--whatever insight or clarification you feel like bringing to bear is of course appreciated.

thanks yet again, Barry.

(and i've mirrored april 703)


edit: will install later from a 571--i'd like be able to format the drives as f2fs. had to bail for this reason, but the installer looks really nice and easy to use.

Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bindee

Joined: 19 Jun 2014
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 03:56    Post subject:  

Quote:
takes about 12 hours to compile.


Shocked

What are you using , An atom based notebook.?

Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 9069
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 04:48    Post subject:  

David Andrew wrote:
I've created a wallpaper for this distro, using my own logo:

Obtainable from here:

http://box-look.org/content/show.php?content=169716


David,
Ha ha ha, I like it!

Yeah, it is quirky enough!

I have been using the same old theme for Quirky for awhile now, in fact I think that theme started in Wary 5.

For Quirky 7.1, probably time for a new theme. Maybe use your wallpaper, if that's OK with you?

I think that I might drop the "thick" font also, that you see on the desktop.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 9069
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 05:07    Post subject: Re: making libre pets
Subject description: and general compiling questions
 

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
BarryK wrote:
gcav wrote:
BarryK wrote:
OK, have compiled LibreOffice 4.4.1.2, for April i686 7.0.2:

Here is the PET (109.8MB):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/packages/pet_packages-april/libreoffice-4.4.1.2-april-i686.pet

Next, I will compile for April64.


Hi Barry, was this compiled under T2?

gc


No. I had to do some awful hacks. Haven't been brave enough to try it in T2 yet.
I have documented the steps, can post them if you are interested.

EDIT:
I should add that compile fails, building a test utility. But, I found that it had finished compiling everything, and just did a manual install.
But that is not good enough for T2. The compile would have to complete without error.
The investment in time is the main problem -- takes about 12 hours to compile.


i'd like to take a look at them, Barry, if you still feel like posting them. a new version's out--seems like a good time to try it. also, i think something's gone south in the way 01micko's utility makes the packages/gets its info, so i'm wondering--could this method also be used for regular non-quirky pups?

i'm about to try out the installer from a 5.5.precise install--haven't yet decided what method--i have three flash drives waiting and i'm thinking of also chancing this machine's hard drive with a frugal, so i'd like to ask an additional, possibly annoyingly newbie question-- is there any specific way things are supposed to be compiled for april or april 64 or puppy in general? i'm new to this and have sometimes used ./configure make make install with success (and sometimes not--not much experience either way), and have sometimes followed advice in readme files that change that a little, but i have seen prefix=--usr and/or similar commands recently--given no additional information, how should one compile for april64 or april or puppy in general--whatever insight or clarification you feel like bringing to bear is of course appreciated.

thanks yet again, Barry.

(and i've mirrored april 703)


edit: will install later from a 571--i'd like be able to format the drives as f2fs. had to bail for this reason, but the installer looks really nice and easy to use.

Very Happy


Generally, configure needs this:
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
Or
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

But you should always run --help to find out all options:
# ./configure --help

A problem that often comes up with Quirky and many earlier pups is due to Xorg being in /usr/X11/R7. Here is a bunch of stuff that you can do prior to running configure:

export LIBS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export CFLAGS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export LDFLAGS='-L/usr/X11R7/lib'
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/X11R7/include
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/X11R7/include

...most often not needed, certainly not all of that.

Compiling libreoffice is a challenge. I think that gcav also wanted the notes. Attached:
libreoffice-quirky-notes.txt.gz
Description  Notes for compiling LibreOffice 4.4.1.2 in April 7.0.2
gz

 Download 
Filename  libreoffice-quirky-notes.txt.gz 
Filesize  1.38 KB 
Downloaded  175 Time(s) 

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3142
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 05:17    Post subject:  

Nice wallpaper but may I suggest the wooden panel not be showing through the dog..... in which case one may create the effect that the dog was sticking his head through a hole in the panel. Just a thought. Someone who is good at this type of stuff may even make a 3D image with the dog's face really coming to the fore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 9069
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 05:17    Post subject:  

Bindee wrote:
Quote:
takes about 12 hours to compile.


Shocked

What are you using , An atom based notebook.?

Mr. Green


I have an Intel i3-370M CPU, with effectively 4 cores, however I compiled Libreoffice on 1 core only, which made it extra slow.

I have a problem with big compiles if use all cores, it seems my CPU overheats and the laptop abruptly turns itself off.

I get this compiling gcc in T2, and Seamonkey inside or outside T2. For T2, the default was one-less than the max cores, so it was using 3. No good, still crashed the laptop.

maybe 2 cores would work, but I have got T2 set to one core, very painfully slow. Besides, we have discovered some apps fail to compile in T2 if use more than one core.
Though, T2 can be setup to use one core on a per-app basis.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Bindee

Joined: 19 Jun 2014
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 06:11    Post subject:  

@Barryk

Maybe a nice forum member with a powerful desktop could give you remote access to compile on , That'll save thrashing the laptop. Smile

@David Andrew

Nice wallpaper , though i would prefer if the yellow at the bottom was toned down a bit as it's rather painful on my monitor.

Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
don570


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 5374
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 15:55    Post subject:  

I am using 32 bit April 7.0.3 and was able to comppile gimp2.8.14 and mypaint 1.1.0

On the negative side archives with the extension .tar.xz won't open automatically with a click .

Cron still has the problem that it uses UTC time rather than the system time. That explains why it doesn't pop up messages at the correct hour
_________________________________________

JWM snapshot 1077 will solve the problem of mtpaint and mypaint
showing tool windows behind the main document window.

_____________________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 13367
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2015, 21:24    Post subject:  

I tried to make a multisession DVD of both 7.0.2 and 7.0.3, with no luck. The Save icon worked, and the program seemed to go through its paces, but in the end nothing was burned onto the DVD. I tried it with a blank DVD too, but nothing was burned to it either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 6734
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2015, 00:35    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
I tried to make a multisession DVD of both 7.0.2 and 7.0.3, with no luck. The Save icon worked, and the program seemed to go through its paces, but in the end nothing was burned onto the DVD. I tried it with a blank DVD too, but nothing was burned to it either.


As far as I know, April is not intended to be used as a multi-session disc.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/april-7.0/install-quirky.htm

Quote:
Another use for the live-CD is that it does have a "save" icon on the desktop, for remastering the CD, that is, creating another live-CD (or DVD). The point of doing that, is it would be configured for your video, network, etc. The remastered CD can be used to bootup without touching the hard drive, surf the web, then shutdown without having left any "footprint".


I hadn't tried it but I gave it a try. Worked as described in the above quoted passage and posting from the remastered cd now.

While running from the live disc,clicking the save icon should give you the choice between blanking the disc you booted from or inserting a blank disc.

April remastered everything that was in ram and then burned a new iso to disc.

As a test,I installed Flash,some SeaMonkey addons and etc and everything was included on the new remastered cd. All the first run settings were saved too.

Not a multi-session as such because it creates a new iso at every save.

HTH.
capture19450.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   36.81 KB
 Viewed   540 Time(s)

capture19450.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 6734
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2015, 00:44    Post subject:  

While I'm posting....


Code:

  # report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April64, version 7.0.3

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0a65 (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (381x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#


Code:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Max Speed: 2600 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2611 MHz, 1:2611 MHz, 2:2611 MHz, 3:2611 MHz
Core Count: 4

temp1 (atk0110) : +32.0 C (high = +60.0 C, crit = +95.0 C)
temp2 (atk0110) : +31.0 C (high = +45.0 C, crit = +95.0 C)
temp1 (nouveau) : +40.0 C (high = +95.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
temp1 (k10temp) : +27.0 C (high = +70.0 C, crit = +115.0 C)

Memory Allocation:
 Total RAM: 3960 MB
 Used RAM: 1328 MB
 Free RAM: 2632 MB
 Buffers: 11 MB
 Total Swap: 6102 MB
 Free Swap: 6102 MB

Linux Kernel: 3.19.2 (x86_64)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Thu Mar 26 19:03:31 GMT-8 2015

Distro: Quirky April64 7.0.3
Window Manager: JWM vgit-976
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 13367
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2015, 09:38    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
...April remastered everything that was in ram and then burned a new iso to disc.

As a test,I installed Flash,some SeaMonkey addons and etc and everything was included on the new remastered cd. All the first run settings were saved too.

Not a multi-session as such because it creates a new iso at every save.

Yes, it looked to me like April was remastering when the Save icon was clicked. I tried a blank DVD, but even though it seemed to go through the motions, nothing was burned to the DVD. Where does April put the new iso after remastering it? I could just use Burniso2cd to burn it. I'd rather do that anyway, instead of everything being automagic and hidden from view.

How did you install Flash, from a repository?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 32 of 52 [770 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1839s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0766s) ][ GZIP on ]