qtpuppy 2 - programmers, what do you use?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
scsijon

qtpuppy 2 - programmers, what do you use?

#1 Post by scsijon »

PREAMBLE:

OK, I'm finally about to start back to building qtpuppy Version 2 (pronounced as cutepuppy). Version 2 is based on Mageia, and with my Mage2 about to 'finally' be released, (it is currently in the last beta test stage,) then it's off my hands for a while.

qtpuppy is Idealized to be a Designer, Programmer and Builders Puppy, it is not a general users puppy. It will not contain many of the applications you are use to seeing in the standard set, although there should be no reason why they could not be added into your savefile or an 'home-built' sfs. Although qtpuppy will have qt4, that is not the only base it will have available that you will be able to design and build with.

Also, the overall size is not planned to be a major consideration with qtpuppy, since it is designed to be a multiple sfs system. The only limits I am putting on it are that a final iso should be no more than a dvd in size and no individual sfs, including the core is to be more than 128meg in size. This means, if I understand the system correctly, that with the core and savefile loaded in the ram workspace, the other sfs's can be loaded but actually reside in a rom mode and therefore will not be fully loaded into your ram and fill it up. I'd also intend to 'offload' most of the doc's into their own sfs's.

The core package will be independant of applications where possible, although some configuration and the system utilities will remain. Once stable, there is no intent to add others, just upgrade when necessary, and even then only as long as it doesn't 'kill' what is already there.

First alpha version of qtpuppy (qtpy2-0.0.00) will just be the mage2-2.0.0 release cutdown, so it is without any user applications. This is a core test alpha to sort out any remaining core bugs found. If mage2 has been completed, as planned at the end of September, it should be out two weeks later.

Second alpha (qtpy2-0.0.20) will have parts of qt4.8.x (latest 4.8 'backends' without the designer and developer parts), and gstreamer (mageia compatability requirement) added into the core sfs, and a separate sfs containing some qt4 and other Builder Applications from those already sugested or considered as the basic's, as the origonal warz qtpuppy had, and saluki has. It should be the point that the two new desktops should appear. The program is currently for a December 1 testers release.

OK, NOW THE REASON FOR THE THREAD:

I am not a serious programmer, I can (usually) re-package someone's else's package to run, and work my way through (some) simple scripts and sources to build a working apllication!

I do have some favorite applications, such as geany, qt4's Designer and QT Quick2, galculator, the mozilla 'set' of applications and the like, which I will include.

However I'm looking for others IDE's and the like to add to the mix.

That is where you come in, what do you use?

Sugestions and requests anyone?

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

I am mainly interested in the audio side and getting qtractor to work. The alsawizard is no longer working in slacko535, so I don't know how this will impact.

Are you planning on still having a separate devx sfs? This usually includes most stuff required - though its contents varies from Puppy to Puppy. Are you in Python libraries?

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

darkcity wrote:I am mainly interested in the audio side and getting qtractor to work. The alsawizard is no longer working in slacko535, so I don't know how this will impact.

Are you planning on still having a separate devx sfs? This usually includes most stuff required - though its contents varies from Puppy to Puppy. Are you in Python libraries?
Hi Darkcity,
Yes to a separate devx, that will always happen, there is a 'lot' of Python both builtin and available, however I shall be using gstreamer as a/v feed as it's mageia's standard. Alsa is at alsaplayer-0.99.81-2, alsaconf at alsaconf-1.0.25-4, and qtractor is currently listed as qtractor-0.5.4-1 on Mageia 2.

I take it you've contacted mick about slacko?

regards
scsijon

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

thanks for the info, sounds like its shaping up nicely. 8)

Yep, Micko knows about the alsa config problem, apparently its broken in slackware 14 RC too :!:

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

hi scsijon, this is a little off topic, but you may find it interesting. I've starting listing which software uses which frameworks and languages
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SoftwareDetails

If you know any others I can add to list 8)

Pelo

warz qtpuppy runs in my laptop

#6 Post by Pelo »

warz qtpuppy runs in my laptop ( revtalized witk kernel 3.0.25 (from racy 5.3) 2015
Jusr for test, everything has to be done, nothing in the menu.

Pelo

warz qtpuppy runs in my laptop

#7 Post by Pelo »

warz qtpuppy runs in my laptop ( revtalized witk kernel 3.0.25 (from racy 5.3) 2015
Jusr for test, everything has to be done, nothing in the menu.

scsijon

#8 Post by scsijon »

wow, is this an old thread, I had considered it closed.

fyi's

Yes, warz was never designed to have user type applications by default, it dates back to the days where you couldn't remaster or delete applications and was designed to be a base from which users could and would build their own individual puppy's from scratch using pets.

Mage2 did appear, however mageia 2 on which it was based had such a plethora of problems I decided it should not proceed beyond beta, there is a thread somewhere with beta's addresses, they should still be on my website under puppy if anyone wants them.

At that time qt4 was brand new so it was included by user request and branded as qtpuppy 2. It's that long ago i'm not sure how far beyond alphas/early betas it got.

regards

s243a

#9 Post by s243a »

scsijon wrote:wow, is this an old thread, I had considered it closed.
Well, in any case, if you decide to build a developers version of puppy and you decide to add java then please ad the following to LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/jni 

and if you decide to add eclipse, please including the following in eclipse.ini

Code: Select all

-Djava.library.path="${workspace_loc:project}\lib;${env_var:PATH}
I discovered these things recently. (See my other thread)